[post deleted]
    Last edited by matt; 11-22-14 at 10:11 PM.
    11-04-14 07:41 AM
    News out of Malaysia will hurt the stock. They lost much of there market share. Down to around 3 percent. Looks like the z3 didn't do very well.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 09:26 AM
    Market Share by Mobile OS
    Source: IDC (IDC: Smartphone OS Market Share 2014, 2013, 2012, and 2011)
    Period Android iOS Windows Phone BlackBerry OS Others
    Q2 2014 84.7% 11.7% 2.5% .5% .7%
    Q2 2013 79.6% 13.% 3.4% 2.8% 1.2%
    Q2 2012 69.3% 16.6% 3.1% 4.9% 6.1%
    Q2 2011 36.1% 18.3% 1.2% 13.6% 30.8%
    It's basically Android and then everyone else. Ironic that Android HW makers are all struggling to make money.
    11-05-14 08:39 AM
    It's basically Android and then everyone else. Ironic that Android HW makers are all struggling to make money.
    BlackBerry should licence BB10 to other manufacturers for full-touch phones. Consumers would be able to get beautifully designed high-end hardware with running BB10 which would no doubt help sales of BB10. Perhaps by licencing BB10, BlackBerry could offer other services such as the improvements to BBM at no charge for BB10 users.

Of course, BlackBerry would need to have strict security requirements as part of the licencing, but I think it would be a win-win.

I think the current under-spec'd BB10 hardware is hurting sales as people want nice high-performance devices.
    11-08-14 07:43 PM
    BlackBerry should licence BB10 to other manufacturers for full-touch phones.
    Many people have suggested this before, and BB tried to find licensees for over a year (TH talked about it on a number of occasions).

A few problems with that, though.

• Unless BB removed the Android runtime, any company who sold a BB10 phone would have to quit the Open Handset Alliance and lose access to Google Play and Google Services.
    • Why would a manufacturer pay to license an OS that the OS's own maker couldn't make profitable? Android is essentially free. WinPhone is also, and doesn't conflict with Android licensing.
    • Why would a manufacturer choose an OS with 0.5% of the market over an OS with 85% of the market? Consumers clearly will pay for Android.

Everyone wants some other company to come along and make some huge investment into BB or promote BB or otherwise give BB a bunch of value, but they rarely discuss, in realistic terms, how such a deal would help the other company. Those companies aren't looking to GIVE their money or their business away.
    11-08-14 09:12 PM
    Keep chenning on... !
    :-)

? ? ? Qchen ? ? ?
    Carjackd likes this.
    11-08-14 10:42 PM
    This is a remarkably true and insightful comment. Don't think many manufacturers would go for it for this reason alone, not to mention the many others.
    Google's requirements to be part of the OHA are like an iron chain. Being removed would have devastating effects on any OEM, as it would ban them from packaging any Google Services, like the Play Store.

Edit: oops, the person you quoted said the same thing):
    11-11-14 04:45 AM
    This is a remarkably true and insightful comment. Don't think many manufacturers would go for it for this reason alone, not to mention the many others.
    Agreed. It's also what people who want BlackBerry to put out an Android device should realize. An Android BlackBerry would not only be incredibly locked down, but even if it could, it still wouldn't be allowed to have Google services unless BlackBerry completely scrapped BB10. We're on our own. I'm just glad Chen has made a positive impact in just a years time.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 02:14 PM
    Many people have suggested this before, and BB tried to find licensees for over a year (TH talked about it on a number of occasions).

• Unless BB removed the Android runtime, any company who sold a BB10 phone would have to quit the Open Handset Alliance and lose access to Google Play and Google Services.
    • Why would a manufacturer pay to license an OS that the OS's own maker couldn't make profitable? Android is essentially free. WinPhone is also, and doesn't conflict with Android licensing.
    • Why would a manufacturer choose an OS with 0.5% of the market over an OS with 85% of the market? Consumers clearly will pay for Android.

Everyone wants some other company to come along and make some huge investment into BB or promote BB or otherwise give BB a bunch of value, but they rarely discuss, in realistic terms, how such a deal would help the other company. Those companies aren't looking to GIVE their money or their business away.
    Which makes the whole notion of licensing BB10 pointless. Chen's strategy of focusing on SW and services with devices as a smaller pillar is the right way to go. Gambling on HW, be it on their own or through an alliance, is pointless. As long as they can make a profit on whatever devices they sell they should be happy (for the time being). Devices only exist as a means to offer an E2E BES-handset solution to the most security conscious of customers.
    11-11-14 04:40 PM

Chen is in talks with Xiaomi, which last I checked is NOT part of the OHA. Chen is also in talks the Lenovo which is, but I can see a Xiaomi phone with BB10 being launched in 2015.

Samsung could possibly jump on the bandwagon. They're forking Android anyways, so dropping out of the OHA already might be a consideration.
    11-11-14 06:43 PM
    Holy Shniggerdoodles I was right to mention Samsung.
    BlackBerry and Samsung partner to provide end-to-end security for Android
    The next logical step is to port the Tizen UI and APIs to the flexible and secure QNX kernel.
    11-13-14 02:51 PM
    Chen is in talks with Xiaomi, which last I checked is NOT part of the OHA. Chen is also in talks the Lenovo which is, but I can see a Xiaomi phone with BB10 being launched in 2015.

Samsung could possibly jump on the bandwagon. They're forking Android anyways, so dropping out of the OHA already might be a consideration.
    Samsung has not forked android. They simply apply their own skin (touchwiz) as do many other android OEMs. They remain fully compliant with the OHA.

They have also seemed to abandoned their Tizen project and are now battling with Microsoft so doesn't look like we'll be seeing any new windows devices either.

I believe their partnership with BB was to strengthen support for their android devices on BES only.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-21-14 11:31 AM

I think you have made some valid points but you are also skipping over some significant issues for Google and the OHA. First, while the OHA attracted hardware manufacturers early on, very few of the recent entrants have joined. This reason is simple, nobody is making money(except Samsung and one or two others). Like it or not, money is the glue and without it Google's enforcement power dwindes. Market share arguments are meaningless if sufficient margins don't existent. The second issue relates to whether the OHA will survive the upcoming regulatory onslaught. Certainly , the European Union is taking direct aim at Google and pushing the breakup of the company's operation in Europe. That appears to include the OHA and it's anti competitive practices. While Google will undoubtedly fight these efforts, I doubt OHA members will come to its aid as they are not happy with the current relationship.
    So does this mean that other companies might license another platform like BB10. Maybe. I suspect the Chinese OEMS would be the first to jump ship. Many are not part of the OHA and those that are have publicly voiced their displeasure with the arrangement. To be honest, I'm sure that a company like Lenovo could cut or alter it's ties and nothing would happen. Like it or not, the Chinese government listens to Chinese companies and they can make Google's life hard, very fast. Just look at how they have done to Apple throwing up one regulatory hurdle after another. Now that doesn't mean OEMS will jump ship and use another platform but the OHA isn't what it used to be.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 12:53 AM