...would it be plausible for Passport owners to yield lower car insurance rates from companies based on the fact that using this phone greatly reduces the chances of texting while driving? The unique size/shape of the Passport makes it very difficult to text with one hand, especially while driving, which should lead to safer driving habits with users of the phone, which should equate to lower car insurance rates. Perhaps BlackBerry should make a play into working with car insurance companies while presenting this case, and maybe work out a deal to reduce rates for Passport owners/users upon verifying that they do not have other phone devices which are linked to their name through any carriers which are in fact of a size which could be used for texting while driving. Yes, this would be a "one size phone fits all" mentality, but over all, a reward and/or incentive program for Passport users seems appropriate for highway safety. The National Highway and Traffic Safety Board in the U.S. should also offer a recognition program for those companies who contribute with devices for society that makes driving and road safety a prominent positive factor. Also, as a bonus, maybe BlackBerry could convince these same car insurance companies themselves into using some BB10 devices to secure data for their agents/adjusters.
    bicyclexpress and seluje like this.
    12-06-14 12:25 PM
    Any kind of distraction including playing with the radio will increase the probability of an accident. So no.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1133 /Telus
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-06-14 12:30 PM
    Umm, no.

Simply because the fact that you own a passport doesn't automatically mean that you won't be driving like a jackass. There's no guarantee here.

Pretty far fetched idea.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 12:43 PM
    I think people who are going to text and drive won't stop because it is more difficult. They'll just become even more unsafe. So actually, the opposite could be a more likely scenario, pp owners are charged a higher rate. LOL.
    12-06-14 01:02 PM
    No

Posted using my Z10
    12-06-14 01:19 PM
    12-06-14 01:20 PM
    Haha Haha Haha!

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    12-06-14 01:24 PM
    Ha!

In Alberta, any kind of distraction while in a vehicle on a road is illegal. You can't even HOLD your phone at a red light. Have to be parked, engine off and keys out.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 02:29 PM
    You cannot be serious OP....
    12-06-14 03:01 PM
    There is being a fan, and in this there is also being a stan.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 03:30 PM
    Lol.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 03:53 PM
    If auto ins companies were interested in this idea they'd just build an app and that can be used on multiple platforms that would use the phone sensors to see if you are texting. No need for BB or any other specific model phone.
    12-06-14 04:20 PM
    ...would it be plausible for Passport owners to yield lower car insurance rates from companies based on the fact that using this phone greatly reduces the chances of texting while driving? The unique size/shape of the Passport makes it very difficult to text with one hand, especially while driving, which should lead to safer driving habits with users of the phone, which should equate to lower car insurance rates. Perhaps BlackBerry should make a play into working with car insurance companies while presenting this case, and maybe work out a deal to reduce rates for Passport owners/users upon verifying that they do not have other phone devices which are linked to their name through any carriers which are in fact of a size which could be used for texting while driving. Yes, this would be a "one size phone fits all" mentality, but over all, a reward and/or incentive program for Passport users seems appropriate for highway safety. The National Highway and Traffic Safety Board in the U.S. should also offer a recognition program for those companies who contribute with devices for society that makes driving and road safety a prominent positive factor. Also, as a bonus, maybe BlackBerry could convince these same car insurance companies themselves into using some BB10 devices to secure data for their agents/adjusters.
    Lol. I'm sorry but no phone will ever reduce insurance rates. Look at the last 5 posts I made inside the thread for I believe in BlackBerry/invest (their my most recent 12 posts. Cat Insurance co.s want access to your cars telemetry info offering 30% insurance reductions. Careful considering this because their looking at huge data mining and data metrics to forge higher rates in the near future.

How you drive your car (aggressive passive),
    - determined by throttle aggressiveness,
    - where you drive aggessively,
    - congestive areas,
    - traffic light congestion when you do any of the above,
    Rate of accidents per week/day/month,
    - proximity to highways etc.

Also check on Bloomberg where my source of the article is - just this last week.

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    12-06-14 04:28 PM
    Phones and driving is a sensitive subject.
    12-06-14 04:53 PM
    LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

Haha haha haha hahaha....this is HILARIOUS

People should get discounts on their car insurance just because they own a BlackBerry???!!! Lol.......best thing I've seen all day. I needed this laugh lol

Seriously, let the people who work there come up the next revenue stream. They get paid to do it....

Posted via CB10
    Cody Salter likes this.
    12-06-14 05:14 PM
    Oh no, I own a z10 and you cant prove if i am gonna texting while I am driving or the other way. So where is your logic here?
    12-06-14 05:55 PM
    I can steer with my knee and text two handed on Passport!! Ha!

Passport
    12-06-14 06:13 PM
    Just a way of of giving the passport a backhanded shot about not being able to text with one hand, or perhaps giving himself a shot for having little girly hands. You know what they say, "little hands, little feet, little... well you know. "

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 07:12 PM
    I can easily text and drive with a BlackBerry and never even dared attempt it when I had an iPhone. So no, the physical keyboard does the exact opposite of what you're suggesting, op.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 07:31 PM
    If anything, (if this were at all plausible) insurance rates would go up if you own a Passport. People would still be texting from it but using both hands instead of one.
    12-06-14 08:10 PM
    I would say because it is so difficult to text with one hand it's more dangerous because you know people will still try
    12-06-14 10:12 PM
    .....for those of you who understood, my post is purpose driven. The key concept here is "reduced risks" not "eliminate risks", there is a difference. For example, most car insurance companies offer some drivers discounts based on if the vehicle has an alarm or other theft deterent device that decreases the risk of it being stolen. These devices only reduce theft risks, they don't completely eliminate them. Most premiums are based on individual driver performance. So based on this premise a good driver should also be allowed to leverage the use of a "wide" phone such as the Passport simply because it can REDUCE the risks and hazards of attempting to text while driving, although it doesn't completely eliminate the distraction risk. Points taken.
    12-07-14 10:06 AM
    Texting and driving is not an issue of the device, it's a problem rooted with the drivers. People feel the need to respond immediately to text messages. The compulsion is difficult to overcome, even when they're behind the wheel. Having a device that's less friendly to texting while driving is even worse because it'll make people try that much harder, and distract them that much more when they feel the urge to text.
    12-07-14 10:52 AM
    .....for those of you who understood, my post is purpose driven. The key concept here is "reduced risks" not "eliminate risks", there is a difference. For example, most car insurance companies offer some drivers discounts based on if the vehicle has an alarm or other theft deterent device that decreases the risk of it being stolen. These devices only reduce theft risks, they don't completely eliminate them. Most premiums are based on individual driver performance. So based on this premise a good driver should also be allowed to leverage the use of a "wide" phone such as the Passport simply because it can REDUCE the risks and hazards of attempting to text while driving, although it doesn't completely eliminate the distraction risk. Points taken.
    The problem with your thought is that it doesn't reduce the risk. A wider phone is going to make it more difficult for people to text with a phone one handed and require two hands, making it all the more dangerous to own a Passport and text while driving. A wide phone doesn't decrease the chances of texting while driving, it increases the risk of taking both hands off the wheel to be able to use it. Using your logic an insurance company could look at a driver and say "since you use a wider phone you are going to be more dangerous behind the wheel because you are going to use it while driving."

I don't ever text or email while driving but I can't prove that I never do. I know plenty of people who do and have never been in an accident so I don't know how an insurance company would base premiums on what they think people do behind the wheel with their phone.
    12-07-14 11:43 AM
    Any kind of distraction including playing with the radio will increase the probability of an accident. So no.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1133 /Telus
    Including -- involved conversations with other car passengers.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-07-14 11:47 AM
30 12