BlackBerry can't catch a break everyone was complaining about the price of BlackBerry phones sometime back now they come out with a reasonable price phone, people are complaining again.

It's a portable cell phone, anything after that is a bonus, 20 years ago you would have been happy to find a call box that was working and hadn't been vandalised.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 10:34 AM
    I guess for the price people are expecting the new phone to do everything a more expensive phone can do.... it isn't fair but when a new device is out, doesn't everyone expect the best specs possible? Time to face facts, this phone is meant for a niche market.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and bakron1 like this.
    07-27-16 10:50 AM
    Some had hoped BlackBerry was going to do something magical that would make them a name again. They for some reason ignored all the talk about these being fleet devices and that BlackBerry was buying someone else's phone and had to turn around and resell it.

I think the there were many other reasons to at one time be a BlackBerry fan other than Security.... now that is the only reason to pay 50% more for their phones. For those that want the extra Security and Privacy... a 50% surcharge is well worth it. But I think that's a pretty small portion of the "fan bases".
    bakron1 and StephanieMaks like this.
    07-27-16 10:54 AM
    While the dtek50 is not something I'm that interested in. I'm more optimistic about this launch than I have been for a long time.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 11:07 AM
    Security.... now that is the only reason to pay 50% more for their phones.
    Not that simple! There are some who will pay more to be different, for nostalgia, for brand loyalty, to have the same brand as people like Hillary or Kim, to show they can afford it etc. There are lots of motivations and it is not always to get more for the money. That is why people will pay more for a Lexus than a Toyota or for a Lincoln over a Ford. Despite all the dumping on it, in these forums, the BlackBerry name still has a cachet about it to some.

BB, Still the One
    Last edited by TCB on Z10; 07-27-16 at 12:08 PM.
    07-27-16 11:22 AM
    Some had hoped BlackBerry was going to do something magical that would make them a name again. They for some reason ignored all the talk about these being fleet devices and that BlackBerry was buying someone else's phone and had to turn around and resell it.

I think the there were many other reasons to at one time be a BlackBerry fan other than Security.... now that is the only reason to pay 50% more for their phones. For those that want the extra Security and Privacy... a 50% surcharge is well worth it. But I think that's a pretty small portion of the "fan bases".
    50% surcharge? How much is the Alcatel Idol 4?
    Isn't the Alcatel costing more than the DTEK50?

Long Live BB10!
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    07-27-16 01:17 PM
    Alcatel Idol 4 has better specs than the DTEK50. I would suspect it is more.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 01:31 PM
    In the US, the retail price of DTEK50 is 50% more than the idol 4.

Minus whatever value you assign to the bundled battery pack promotion. If you happened to need a battery pack and were going to pay $50 for one anyway, then you could argue the phone is only 20-25% more than an Idol 4 for a limited time.
    07-27-16 01:33 PM

Long Live BB10!
    Cricket Wireless in the US is the only place I've seen the Idol 4 (what the DTECK is based on) offered... it will be $199.

The Idol 4S is a different phone, larger and better specs... it sold for $349 for presales, but the list is suppose to be $399..

There is also an Idol 4 PRO that is coming later in the Fall, which is what some think the Argon will be based on. It is expected to list for $499, who knows where BlackBerry will need to price it.
    07-27-16 01:41 PM
    I was wrong on the specs. Idol 4 same as DTEK50. Sorry about that. Seen spec for Idol4s and just mixed it up.

Anyone have a link to where the unlocked Idol 4 is sold?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 02:13 PM
    I think this phone is what the enterprise market is looking for and I hope it does well for their corporate sector. Now it's wait and see.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-27-16 03:21 PM
    Sorry for that. I just checked the price for the Idol 4 and it true that the DTEK50 has a 50% surcharge. The DTEK50 will be selling for $299 whilst the Idol 4 is going for $200

http://www.alcatel-mobile.com/global...4#.V5kZIjjTVAE

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...l-idol-4-news/

Long Live BB10!
    07-27-16 03:34 PM
    No enterprise I know of is using BlackBerry anything. I'm in IT NYC area and so are my friends.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-27-16 04:35 PM
    Sorry for that. I just checked the price for the Idol 4 and it true that the DTEK50 has a 50% surcharge. The DTEK50 will be selling for $299 whilst the Idol 4 is going for $200

http://www.alcatel-mobile.com/global...4#.V5kZIjjTVAE

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...l-idol-4-news/

Long Live BB10!
    Value-add. That's what BlackBerry is doing with this phone... :-)

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    07-27-16 06:16 PM
    This is a budget phone. Usually as a value buyer you want the most out of your money, and dtek50 is not the best option at this price point.
    Some of the folks here speak like BBRY is a charity, you want to sell something, then it better be good and competitive.
    07-27-16 08:08 PM
    OP, "losing." Sorry, that just drives me nuts.
    app_Developer and TGR1 like this.
    07-28-16 07:06 PM