............ is $430! It was already far too much at $399, what are they thinking??

BlackBerry Canada Online Store - BlackBerry Bold 9900 - Black
    Last edited by Jonesy1966; 06-11-14 at 09:54 AM.
    06-10-14 06:28 PM
    I should sell the one in my drawer that's in mint condition

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    06-10-14 06:54 PM
    I should sell the one in my drawer that's in mint condition

Lol you might be able to get half that price.
    06-10-14 08:19 PM
    That is right. BlackBerry does not have to sell bb7 on lower price. Make money on those phones and sell BB10 phones on cheaper price. BlackBerry needs to make BB10 phones popular not those old phones. People who like those phones have to pay premium price. That is what BlackBerry wants. If people want to buy BlackBerry phone within 200 dollars buy q5 or wait for z3.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    06-10-14 08:41 PM
    400 bucks for old tech. BlackBerry seems to have not learned anything. No respect for their loyal customers

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 08:44 PM
    400 bucks for old tech. BlackBerry seems to have not learned anything. No respect for their loyal customers

Posted via CB10
    Even at a low price it makes no sense to buy it. So this leaves the people that just are too stubborn to leave a trackpad and can't seem to figure out ebay...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-10-14 08:47 PM
    I think they KNOW they will sell some to wealthy people and some corporate users, so they price accordingly. They're not stupid. BB knows how to use the Internet and check prices on Amazon. Brand new on Amazon you can get a Bold for under $200

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 08:58 PM
    I'm pretty sure the price has been set unreasonably high deliberately. They are trying to push bb10 units, but if someone is willing to pay this price for a bb7 unit, why not sell it to them? There are no obvious additional costs for developing or marketing this phone. And maybe Foxconn has agreed to assemble them?
    habs_fan and bruce73 like this.
    06-10-14 09:12 PM
    Lol you might be able to get half that price.
    Considering my provider gave it to me free, $200 ain't bad considering I saw them selling for under $100 recently

06-10-14 09:24 PM
    I think they KNOW they will sell some to wealthy people and some corporate users, so they price accordingly. They're not stupid. BB knows how to use the Internet and check prices on Amazon. Brand new on Amazon you can get a Bold for under $200

Posted via CB10
    If they know then why did they price it so high? Do you think corporations are going to pay $400 for this phone? You don't think wealthy people know how to use the internet? To me they look not only stupid but are embarrassing themselves with that price. If people want a bold 9000 do you think they are only going to go to shop blackberry to buy it? It's just stupid.
    06-10-14 09:27 PM
    Dumb and dumber. They don't want to sell many at that price. 149 might see some action. There is no way its costing them much to manufacture them that's old give away technology. My bet is its a 50 dollar cost phone. Not sure the thinking but 400 is out to lunch

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    06-10-14 11:31 PM
    New CEO, old habits.

BlackBerry keeps shooting itself in the foot.

As many of you, I'm the BlackBerry guy around here and this "pricing thing" is beeing used by my friends to laugh at my devices. And they are right! The main problem for BB were ALWAYS the overrated prices, and now they re-launch a 3/4 yo device, using inventory parts for 399$!?

No shame in your face, Chen?!
    unpaid_intern likes this.
    06-11-14 08:35 AM
    New CEO, old habits.

BlackBerry keeps shooting itself in the foot.

As many of you, I'm the BlackBerry guy around here and this "pricing thing" is beeing used by my friends to laugh at my devices. And they are right! The main problem for BB were ALWAYS the overrated prices, and now they re-launch a 3/4 yo device, using inventory parts for 399$!?

No shame in your face, Chen?!
    The Canadian price is actually $430. I am actually hoping that the American and Canadian pricing is more of a "place holder" to fill in a gap until the final price is revealed. I can't honestly see BlackBerry being able to defend such pricing under any circumstances. Some have suggested that it's to encourage people to buy more BB10 devices but that would be the most bone headed decision made since the Bill & Ben days, it's a decision that's itching to back-fire in multiple ways.

Let's just hope they come to their senses soon.
    06-11-14 09:58 AM
    Wow. I guess they heard our thoughts on the $399 price tag - and are saying f**k you to the everyday consumer who might want one (not me, just saying that I'm sure there are a couple out there looking to replace their withering 9900's). They'll be able to get this from Enterprise Clients, however. No problem.
    06-11-14 10:17 AM
    If they know then why did they price it so high? Do you think corporations are going to pay $400 for this phone?
    Of course. Those corporations with BES 5 deployments. Which is pretty much the (only) target group for which they recontinue production. Everything is fine, move on.
    06-11-14 10:40 AM
    Of course. Those corporations with BES 5 deployments. Which is pretty much the (only) target group for which they recontinue production. Everything is fine, move on.
    But with BES12 coming out in 3 months which will handle BBOS and BB10 as well as iOS, Android and WP, it seems a tad extreme to be asking over twice as much for a device than it's actually worth. For me the most consistent gripe I have about BlackBerry is pricing, they always start off too high only to eventually find a fair level but by which time it's far too late. I loved my 9900 and would buy another one today for my daughter but I don't think this price can be justified under any circumstance.
    06-11-14 10:49 AM
    But with BES12 coming out in 3 months which will handle BBOS and BB10 as well as iOS, Android and WP, it seems a tad extreme to be asking over twice as much for a device than it's actually worth. For me the most consistent gripe I have about BlackBerry is pricing, they always start off too high only to eventually find a fair level but by which time it's far too late. I loved my 9900 and would buy another one today for my daughter but I don't think this price can be justified under any circumstance.
    This is enterprise MDM, not a single phone. All those companies won't upgrade to BES12 over night or at all just because it becomes available. Enterprise IT moves slow and BES5 still fulfills the needs of many obviously. Plus producing this phone at smaller scale in 2014 might very well be pricier than it was back in 2011. For me this isn't an overpriced phone with old hardware, but a BlackBerry Enterprise Service 5 handheld device for corporations. They solely reintroduced this phone because BES 5 customers explicitly asked for it. This is not a step to please diehards and consumers.
    06-11-14 11:13 AM
    This is enterprise MDM, not a single phone. All those companies won't upgrade to BES12 over night or at all just because it becomes available. Enterprise IT moves slow and BES5 still fulfills the needs of many obviously. Plus producing this phone at smaller scale in 2014 might very well be pricier than it was back in 2011. For me this isn't an overpriced phone with old hardware, but a BlackBerry Enterprise Service 5 handheld device for corporations. They solely reintroduced this phone because BES 5 customers explicitly asked for it. This is not a step to please diehards and consumers.
    Then why is it for sale on a consumer site? Why do you feel like you have to justify this ridiculous pricing? God knows they've made major pricing mistakes in the past and this is yet another one.
    06-11-14 11:18 AM
    Then why is it for sale on a consumer site? Why do you feel like you have to justify this ridiculous pricing? God knows they've made major pricing mistakes in the past and this is yet another one.
    Why not? Why would they hide it? It's on stock, available for everyone who wants it, independent of the core purpose of its reintroduction.

I couldn't care less about the pricing of this phone because even if they gave it away for free it wouldn't play any big picture related role for the company going forward.
    06-11-14 11:29 AM
    I understand how it works, but there has been a huge (pre) uptake of BES12 from those holding BES5 licences, it's almost redundant offering the 9900 these days unless there are significant capital savings to be had over the Q10. Chen once stated it's important for people to see the phones they use for business being offered in a retail environment and I agree to some extent, but being seen and being sold are two different stories. Maybe this is one big ploy to shift more Q10s out the door, I have no idea and I certainly hope not, all this does is feed into the image that BlackBerry can't market themselves properly and adds yet another reason why someone shouldn't buy a BlackBerry device.
    06-11-14 11:40 AM
    I expect we can trust most of this product run is pre-sold to corp clients and whats on the website is some extra production that individuals might buy.

Corp clients won't pay this price. they will get volume discounts and discounts for staying with BB/BES ... even a small loss is ok if it keeps customers until they confidence in BES12.

This is for individuals who love the 9900, and they are a lot of them whose old phone is falling apart and needs replacement. Good to follow the market on this one.

Lose enterprise customers who like bes and BB or lose them to Apple and another MDM ... simple choice.

as for the price ... new 9900 , unlocked on ebay .... around $200... so perhaps not too many sales at ShopBlackberry. I would guess BB doesn;lt really expect sales on ShopBlackberry to save the day. More of a placeholder for a small number of people who would prefer to buy direct.

I'm guessing the belly-achers here had no intention to buy a 9900.
    06-11-14 12:15 PM
    Why not? Why would they hide it? It's on stock, available for everyone who wants it, independent of the core purpose of its reintroduction.

I couldn't care less about the pricing of this phone because even if they gave it away for free it wouldn't play any big picture related role for the company going forward.
    Because it just looks bad, and makes them look stupid when you can get the device for much cheaper at a plethora of other places. Corporate customers would get a sizable volume discount and this pricing just makes BB look bad yet again. Just because they can charge that price doesn't mean they should. If someone really wants to buy a legacy device (which by the way has been carrying Blackberry) then they should either make the price realistic or just abandon selling legacy devices altogether to the consumer through their website. Charging a price like that only makes them look incredibly greedy and out of touch with the market. Does BB think that if someone goes to their site wanting the 9900 that if they price it ridiculously high that someone will buy a BB10 phone instead? They won't, they'll buy it elsewhere for much cheaper. BB could still make some profit off of this phone at a realistic price but they completely priced themselves out of any sales charging what they are for a 3 year old phone.
    06-11-14 12:27 PM
    If someone really wants to buy a legacy device (which by the way has been carrying Blackberry)
    ....just remind me of BlackBerrys current market share in North America (where the phone is made available again), especially in the States, will you? What is it? 0.0%? Riiiiight, so many customers carriying BlackBerry through legacy devices that are affected by this pricing. There are exactly two kinds of legacy device customers that account for BlackBerrys most recent sales:

1. People in emerging markets outside of North America
    2. Enterprise customers still sitting on BES5

The first party as well as the rest of the world outside NA isn't 'affected' at all, whereas the latter party won't buy corporate phones on eBay or used at all. They buy new and often times in bulk, either directly or through a distributor. And just as you have the phone on stock, why not place it in your own shop additionally? Because the price looks greedy? For who? For high involved enthusiasts? Nobody cares. If BlackBerrys market share in the US is sitting at 0.0%, how many people do you think care about how the price of a 3 year old BlackBerry on a website that reads 'shopblackberry.com' looks? Right: NOBODY.

This is a phone reintroduced for certain people who explicitly asked for it to complement with their installed MDM solution. Not for single private fans, diehards, CrackBerryians, consumers. Those 0.0002% of the population can as well just go out and buy that stuff on eBay.
    06-11-14 12:55 PM
    All I know is when I get home from vacation my 9900 is going on eBay for $99.

Tapped out on my Q10
    06-11-14 01:04 PM