Blackberry focus on Enterprise and Software to generate revenue could yield more results if the company changes some of its marketing strategies. BBM custom PIN is unique and no other messaging App has the feature (I stand to be corrected). The Custom PIN should allow users to use their names to create a PIN. Example, John Wayne can create a custom PIN JOHNWAYNE and General Motors can create a custom PIN GM. Apart from being easy to remember, is a good corporate branding. Blackberry should make the Custom free to all subscribers for at least for 2 years to grow the subscribers base and then monetized. Create the awareness first before making money and make the BBM app in other platforms solid. As a way of incentive, BlackBerry should create custom PIN free for all their BES subscribers to show case on their websites. Every company will want their customers to contact them by just using the easy to remember Custom PIN bearing their name.

Posted by the Last Man Standing
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    05-02-15 02:45 AM
    Some good ideas

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 04:13 AM
    I somewhat agree, but the problem is if they make it free for a bit and then go to charge, some people will still whine and complain like they have when BlackBerry started charging for timed and retract messages. From day one BlackBerry said it was free for a few months yet people still whine

Posted via CB10
    Anthony_2u likes this.
    05-02-15 05:52 AM
    If I were blackberry I would make it a one time fee of. 99cent. Then, if people wanted to change their pin I would charge them then. Just think how much some kids and grown-ups would like to change their custom pins.

Posted via CB10
    donemt likes this.
    05-02-15 06:14 AM
    Charge $19.99 annually for a unique channels pin or group, that's more business focused, especially for brands.

Charge $0.99 annually for unique Bbm pin for consumers

Someone must have sent a fake memo to blackberry informing them that Bbm is more popular and valuable than whatsapp, hence the premium price being more than what whatsapp charges which is under a dollar, although I've yet to pay that fee.

The current strategy appears to be large chunk of a small pie rather than a mini slice of a bigger pie

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 06:40 AM
    I don't think they will make any significant money out of that, regardless of the model they introduce.
    Exchanging PINs completely went out ouf fashion imho. The challenge is to win more users for the platform, so everything that makes it more complicated than it already is, should be avoided. None of the ~20 BBM friends that I have (only 1 BBOS user, all others on iOS & Android) even knows what BB PINs are. We all connected while sitting next each others, so I could explain them the whole process around registering, BBID etc., and then we connected via barcode scan in most of the cases.
    Most of them felt the process of finding others and connecting was laughable and too difficult, and then connected with me only to do me a favour. Not because of being excited of how great this was.
    If I would have started dealing with PINs (custom or classic format) on top of all that, I would not have succeeded in hiring as many users as I have. Even worse, some of them would have rejected joining the platform, or would have abandoned it even quicker.
    tvst28 and Q10Bold like this.
    05-02-15 06:57 AM
    Channels is basically dead, and BBM has been turned into a circus. BlackBerry should go back to it being a messenger, take out all the cartoon garbage, build market with it as cross platform since the genie is out of the bottle, and worry about monetizing it later. They have really made it annoying to use since Chen took over.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Q10Bold likes this.
    05-02-15 08:43 AM
    Custom PIN is a joke why should I pay for it on a monthly subscription...how many users do you add to your contact list in one month or every month?!...ZERO! Maybe one contact every 2 or 3 months!! Lets be realistic here!
    I see no value over here!!
    I can pay for a hosted internet domain to have a great EMail adress.
    But Custom BBM Pin....NO THANKS!

Posted via Q10Bold
    05-02-15 09:01 AM
    If I were blackberry I would make it a one time fee of. 99cent. Then, if people wanted to change their pin I would charge them then. Just think how much some kids and grown-ups would like to change their custom pins.

Posted via CB10
    Good idea

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 08:31 PM
    This is a good idea. But blackberry did that with timed and retract message feature but yeah give it for free then charge.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 09:31 PM