RIM Calls BlackBerry 10 Homescreen Widgets "Active Frames" - BerryReview

While flipping through RIM�s just released BlackBerry 10 roadmaps I ran across something interesting in the Cascades roadmap. It made mention of a new feature called Active Frames that seem to be the same homescreen widgets they have shown off in the past. Here is how RIM describes this new Active Frames feature:

The new homescreen in BB10 enables applications to show relevant UI when mimized, (sic) a feature called Active Frames. Cascades lets the developer use static images or a completely dedicated UI tree to present itself when minimized.

When we first saw these homescreen widgets in mockups and demos many asked if they were set or any application could create one. It looks like any developer will be able to use either a static image or complete UI tree when it is minimized into these active frames. It will be interesting to see what RIM has in store for these when they come out next month! From what I am hearing the Active Frame can be updated at a lower frame rate so you won�t be able to do video but you should be able to get some live content.
    Pretty interesting news about the BB10 Homescreen

I wonder how much access to this will be made. It's kind of an extention of the app via a widget medium interface.
    JPMorgan_ and visceralberry like this.
    08-23-12 11:51 AM
    I wonder if a Dev Alpha update will occur to bring the UI closer to final BB10, so devs can test in a real environment.

Along with the peek and flow features also in the roadmap.
    08-23-12 11:58 AM
    Rumors are the DevAlpha update in September is going to be a doozy
    So fingers crossed it gets more of this functionality
    BB10FTW and spike12 like this.
    08-23-12 12:05 PM
    Live tiles is a catchier name IMO.
    Sounds almost identical to the windows phone implementation, which is a good thing.
    08-23-12 12:08 PM
    "Active Frames" seem like another way to say "Live Tiles". But if developers are able to create their own UI for that minimised view to allow some sort of controls over the app, that would make it better than Live tiles in my opinion. I can imagine a music player with simple controls on its Active frame to allow changing tracks. Or endomondo app that allows you to see key statistic on that view while allowing users to pause or stop activity. Tapatalk app that allows you to select the forum you want to go into and quickly launch into it, instead of having to go into the app first before selecting. Or navigation, or social feeds, etc. So many applications for it!

Using the app without even needing to go into it, that would be nice. With live tiles, you still have to go into the app if you want to do anything with it. And information are limited. Also with help of BIS push notifications, you can have your social feeds pushed to you. Without the need the pull at intervals. hmmm...
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 08-23-12 at 12:14 PM.
    08-23-12 12:12 PM
    If they're actually interactive UI elements on the tiles, I could see some really neat uses for them. I could also see it being a navigation nightmare if not handled properly on the OS side.
    08-23-12 12:21 PM
    \Also with help of BIS push notifications, you can have your social feeds pushed to you. Without the need the pull at intervals. hmmm...
    Twitter could always be open with tweets feeding in live time...always connected
    08-23-12 12:22 PM
    It will be interesting how RIM uses these different elements to challenge developers into really thinking about designing apps with great depth and integration into the OS and between other apps. It's like saying think bigger.
    I imagine apps with better "active frames" and presumably a higher quality and user experience would be more attractive to users to interact with more often. Fuels RIMs whole "Social+Mobile" campaign. Maybe RIM has finally defined their DNA and are playing up to their strengths.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    BB10FTW likes this.
    08-23-12 01:32 PM
    Widgets + LiveTiles = I like. Another advantage over iOS, the "most advanced mobile OS". LOL
    08-23-12 01:59 PM
    I don't know how they'd be interactive frames. Because that raises a problem of how to go into the app by tapping it.

Instead of just interacting with the tile. How do you differentiate the two?
    08-23-12 02:58 PM
    Live tiles is a catchier name IMO.
    Sounds almost identical to the windows phone implementation, which is a good thing.
    why not active apps cuz thats what they are, its an app opened in a minimized window still runnign and active i nthe background, it can be closed and expanded to use the app where a a widget is just a sort of floating app that usually has to be deactivated.

i personally think to say BB10 uses widgets is an insult to the OS
    08-23-12 04:41 PM
    hopefully devs will also be able to incorporate personalization options for their app's Active Frame (colour, content, background image etc.)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-25-12 10:32 PM
    Can't wait for it! Don't care what its called really but it sounds useful for sure. It would be great to just change tracks, volume, messages, or snoozing alerts without needing to open the app.

If its true BlackBerry Flow is going to be incredible!
    08-26-12 05:51 AM
    Twitter could always be open with tweets feeding in live time...always connected
    That would be a huge battery drain..

why not active apps cuz thats what they are, its an app opened in a minimized window still runnign and active i nthe background, it can be closed and expanded to use the app where a a widget is just a sort of floating app that usually has to be deactivated.

i personally think to say BB10 uses widgets is an insult to the OS
    A widget is far from a "floating app" lol. It's an extension of the app that allows you to interact with it without opening the actual app itself.

Can't wait for it! Don't care what its called really but it sounds useful for sure. It would be great to just change tracks, volume, messages, or snoozing alerts without needing to open the app.

If its true BlackBerry Flow is going to be incredible!
    This is exactly how widgets are on Android already.
    08-26-12 07:47 AM
    Let's get a bit more clear:

Here�s a picture of BlackBerry 10 homescreen, more like a live app panel screen showing all running apps in a minimized layout kind of similar to BlackBerry PlayBook OS but vertically aligned. Here in the image, we had 7 apps opened where the rest are listed below & can be accessed by scrolling down in this screen. Closing them all gives a great fullscreen wallpaper view.(link)
    Essentially, from Playbook we go from 'static' cards:

To this:

The left, and center panes of the OS will be scroll-able to show more content. And the right side will float all your running apps in real time like a stack of papers. The bottom paper being the unified inbox.

08-26-12 08:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD