Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, positive or negative, regarding syncing a BB Curve with Outlook 2007. As much as I like to use Google Sync with Google Calendar when it works properly, there's my rub. Twice now, I've lost tons of entries, or they double up. Morning before yesterday, my March 2010 is gone, but entries before that are still there on both the phone and online version. Can't deal with it anymore. Have years of info I need to keep. Tried loading the handheld's calendar into Yahoo, but it only loaded April. Not crazy about Outlook, as it's overkill for me, but at this point, it seems like the only option. Will it keep entries indefinetly, even when the BB only keeps them for a few months?
    Thanx in advance for your ideas,
    George
    04-17-10 03:30 PM
    Will it keep entries indefinetly ...
    I have been using Microsoft Outlook for more then a decade becasue it does the job with perfect reliability, every time. Outlook 2007 is my current version, it works well.
    04-17-10 03:51 PM
    Thanx Reed. I guess that's what I wanted to hear. I used a Palm IIIC for 10 years, and NEVER lost anything. Looking to replicate that experience, and it sounds like you've had that with Outlook, so I'll give it a go. Thanx again,
    g
    04-17-10 03:56 PM
    Thanx Reed. I guess that's what I wanted to hear. I used a Palm IIIC for 10 years, and NEVER lost anything. Looking to replicate that experience, and it sounds like you've had that with Outlook, so I'll give it a go. Thanx again,
    g

I am still stuck with the Palm Treo because of that reason. The PDA function is great, and I have had 2 Palm PDAs and now my Treo 650 for over 13 years .

Outlook with the BB Tour is a good sync by cable combo that I can sync to 2 different lappys without loosing my lifes info?
    04-17-10 06:15 PM
    I sync my Tour to my Outlook 2007 on my Notebook, which works extremely well, and then have my Google Calendar sync set up for one way sync'ing Outlook -> Google Calendar.

This method allows for all three devices, Tour, Outlook 2007, and Google Calendar, to be current without the worry of the unreliability of Google Calendar (losing all your dates or screwing up your Outlook and/or Tour databases).

If you throw in my Novell Groupwise Calendar at work, then you see that I literally spend 30 minutes a day just making sure my calendars are sync'd up so I don't miss an appointment.
    04-17-10 07:11 PM
    I sync my Tour to my Outlook 2007 on my Notebook, which works extremely well, and then have my Google Calendar sync set up for one way sync'ing Outlook -> Google Calendar.

This method allows for all three devices, Tour, Outlook 2007, and Google Calendar, to be current without the worry of the unreliability of Google Calendar (losing all your dates or screwing up your Outlook and/or Tour databases).

If you throw in my Novell Groupwise Calendar at work, then you see that I literally spend 30 minutes a day just making sure my calendars are sync'd up so I don't miss an appointment.

Now I am confused The TOUR has its own calendar etc ? Is that the BB Desktop manager ? Or do you mean the handheld , plus outllook and google which I know even less about. Also this takes 30 minutes a day? I dont have 30 minutes to spare
    Last edited by PETERPNYC; 04-17-10 at 09:14 PM.
    04-17-10 07:51 PM
    Hey all,
    Thanx again for all that helpful input. Like PeterPNYC and I both experienced, the old palm device and desktop software combo was rock-solid and unbeatable. But it sounds like the BB/Outlook pairing may do the trick. My fingers are crossed
    g
    04-17-10 10:44 PM
    Now I am confused The TOUR has its own calendar etc ? Is that the BB Desktop manager ? Or do you mean the handheld , plus outllook and google which I know even less about. Also this takes 30 minutes a day? I dont have 30 minutes to spare
    I was afraid that I was not explaining this very well.

I use Outlook 2007 as my primary personal calendar on my personal Notebook. Between my job, my wife's job, and 2 kids in High School, I absolutely NEED something to keep track of every where we need to be. BUT, and here's the rub, my employer uses Novel Groupwise for email and calendaring, which does not sync up with my BB Tour or Outlook, or Google Calendar, for that matter.

So, I keep my Tour and Outlook sync'd between the two devices via the BB Desktop Manager. It works very well, every bit as well as my Treo 700p that I used prior to the Tour (so I understand Palm loyalty - not fancy devices but they work). If I add an appointment to the Tour, or Outlook 2007, and sync the two, then I have the same appointments in both places. Just like the Treo.

What I do a little different, for my wife's benefit (she does not have a smart phone or PSA), is "one way" sync between Outlook and Google Calendar. This is an automatic process through the Google Calendar Outlook plug-in. You can set how often the two sync up, whether it is one way sync (Outlook to Google or Google to Outlook), or a full on two way sync. I don't recommend the latter. I keep hearing nightmare stories about the sync messing things up and all data being lost or altered.

Using this method allows my wife to access our Google Calendar from her office whenever she needs to.

Clear as mud now? I hope this helps. Not the most elegant solution, but it does work, and every bit as good as when I had my Treo with Outlook.
    04-18-10 12:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD