http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/...001-1.0-US.pdf

All we hear about recently is the Icloud, looks like Apple is not the only one working in the cloud. I would say BB was their long before apple..
    06-07-11 07:54 PM
    Nice try LOL

Now ask yourself this, why are countless BB users running away to other platforms as if a plague ensued? Just because they had some sort of "cloud" service in the past doesn't mean its helping them retain customers today.
    Last edited by JD914; 06-07-11 at 08:44 PM.
    06-07-11 08:40 PM
    RIM's Cloud service is lacking, I'm not sure I like iCloud either, I am more excited for Office365
    06-07-11 08:44 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/app-...y-have-619911/

The Engine had some very interesting points regarding the cloud service from RIM and MS, just adding to the disscusion. Very interesting and infromative.
    06-07-11 10:35 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/app-...y-have-619911/

The Engine had some very interesting points regarding the cloud service from RIM and MS, just adding to the disscusion. Very interesting and infromative.
    I love the term super apps. What exactly makes them "Super" or better? I was always curious about this.
    06-08-11 07:04 AM
    Nice try LOL

Now ask yourself this, why are countless BB users running away to other platforms as if a plague ensued? Just because they had some sort of "cloud" service in the past doesn't mean its helping them retain customers today.
    Yeah, nice try yourself. Users are not running from BB in droves, there are just more new users buying other brands. This has been noted in about 80,000 other threads already - RIM is not losing customers, they're just not getting new ones as fast as their competitors. Big difference. But falling market share makes for much more exciting headlines.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by 18to12fitty; 06-09-11 at 08:01 AM.
    dusdal likes this.
    06-08-11 08:27 AM
    The problem with the BB Cloud/Office365 is that you need to be an enterprise customer. I believe that iCloud is for everyone.
    06-08-11 09:11 AM
    Nice try LOL

By making an exhaustive claim such as that Im sure you have some form of statistical data to back it up right? I do think RIM is at a crossroads now and the next year will probably dictate their future viability but saying "countless" users are fleeing is a gross embellishment.

I think the whole concept of cloud networking will appeal to a certain demographic but having your crap stored on a third party server while only being able to access it with a network connection isnt something that appeals to me. My employer, for example, doesnt allow for us to save documentation to anywhere but on their servers. We are technically not allowed to save stuff to our local machine.
    06-09-11 06:06 AM
    By making an exhaustive claim such as that Im sure you have some form of statistical data to back it up right? I do think RIM is at a crossroads now and the next year will probably dictate their future viability but saying "countless" users are fleeing is a gross embellishment.

I think the whole concept of cloud networking will appeal to a certain demographic but having your crap stored on a third party server while only being able to access it with a network connection isnt something that appeals to me. My employer, for example, doesnt allow for us to save documentation to anywhere but on their servers. We are technically not allowed to save stuff to our local machine.
    As far as I know iCloud doesn't store your files, just 5GB of photos for 30 days. ICloud is really just Isync, syncs between devices.

06-09-11 06:20 AM
    iCloud is a syncing service: it automatically syncs your documents, music, videos and photos across all your iOS devices. It also has an API so app developers can have arbitrary key=>value pairs synced across multiple devices (think config settings, etc.) It's very nice, and if you're primarily an Apple user, looks quite seamless.

RIM should have pushed in this direction years ago. But as it stands they 1) don't have a 'virtualized device space' strategy, and 2) what they have is pretty fragmented.

RIM should negotiate with MS and include Office 365 access with every BlackBerry and Playbook. They also need to figure out their content strategy fast - whether it's partnering with Amazon, or Microsoft, etc. Unfortunately that seems unlikely, given that RIM appears more intent on protecting its enterprise base right now than aggressively going after the consumer market again.
    06-09-11 09:19 AM
    As far as I know iCloud doesn't store your files, just 5GB of photos for 30 days. ICloud is really just Isync, syncs between devices.

The photos and I thought I read somewhere about music. If they arent stored remotely where is the true "cloud" dynamic? Sounds like a misnomer.
    06-09-11 10:43 AM
    I love the term super apps. What exactly makes them "Super" or better? I was always curious about this.
    Core OS and cross App integration.

So yeah, that deep Twitter integration in iOS 5 is basically what a number of Super Apps do on BB OS.
    06-09-11 11:34 AM
    To interrupt some of the people that are spreading misinformation. Your content all can be uploaded to the cloud. Meaning it can be stored there like another hard drive. You get 5GB of space for everything besides media. So for documents, email, calendars, etc you have 5GB of storage in the cloud. So it's not just syncing, it's also storage. But Apple has already been doing this with MobileMe. So they have just taken that, added additional features for the cloud support and renamed it iCloud.

Apple - iCloud stores your content and pushes it to your devices.
    06-09-11 11:49 AM
    where there's a bunch of clouds, there's bound to be a massive thunderstorm brewing up. Watch out!! :P

Just thought I should add that ^^

Kerrstar likes this.
    06-10-11 06:02 PM
    Myself, I've never been able to fill the space on my own devices. not sure if I ever will. who can't store their own dvd or two at home for pictures or such if you really need to? It all sounds good and we get to think that again apple is out front. For me I don't think so. Theres lots of time for RIM to get in the game.
    06-11-11 12:03 AM
    The problem with the BB Cloud/Office365 is that you need to be an enterprise customer. I believe that iCloud is for everyone.
    Taking that point a little further, Office 365 with RIMs Cloud BES is targeting SMB's which is perfectly natural for RIM to do. I'm excited to see how complete their offering is... but that could be because i'm a Microsoft and RIM fan, and also a small business owner.

Once they get their combined Office 365 cloud up and running, i don't see why they couldn't expand it out towards other mail services (hotmail) with a slightly stripped out feature set.
    06-11-11 01:17 PM
    RIM's Cloud service is lacking, I'm not sure I like iCloud either, I am more excited for Office365
    If you're going to use Office365 with a playbook it will frustrate you like it has me. Email is intermittent for sending and the support community for getting help is just as bad. I'm about ready to turf it because I already have office on my laptop and it seems like office365 only works on a laptop browser and not a playbook browser.
    01-30-12 06:56 PM
    Not exactly, you can be a Office 365 professional user, but so far the service has been dismal to say the least if you want to use it with a playbook.
    01-30-12 06:58 PM
    If you're going to use Office365 with a playbook it will frustrate you like it has me. Email is intermittent for sending and the support community for getting help is just as bad. I'm about ready to turf it because I already have office on my laptop and it seems like office365 only works on a laptop browser and not a playbook browser.
    I would trade my 2005 fujitsu lifebook for the playbook. Battery life is wicked and it comes with Linux Mint 12.
    01-30-12 07:04 PM
    RIM finally launches closer link to Office 365 - Page 1 - Departmental and End User Computing

here you go
    Superfly_FR and allsportsfan like this.
    01-30-12 07:43 PM
    I personally don't trust putting my personal information and files in to a "cloud".
    I just feel that that the iCloud system isn't secure enough and also many people don't realize is that when you do access file from and to your cloud system you are using data.

I would be interested if RIM decides to use BIS or BES to secure the data
    entering/leaving/staying from the cloud.
    01-30-12 08:03 PM
    I would be interested if RIM decides to use BIS or BES to secure the data
    entering/leaving/staying from the cloud.
    I, too, am interested in the answer to this question. Does cloud services use end-to-end encryption like BES? If so, does all traffic, such as email and BBM, use a transport model similar to that of BES (i.e., unique encryption key)?
    06-02-12 08:05 PM
    I hope RIM decides integrate NewBay and the "Cloud" with BB10. With the rumored/speculated departure from expansion memory and micro sd cards on BB10 devices it would be nice to have extra storage space. Now if only they could cut a deal with the carriers and allow streaming of NewBay "cloud" specific files free of charge or somehow manage to apply "BIS Data Compression" to NewBay files without loss of quality that would be great.

Links for views.

RIM buys NewBay for BlackBerry alternative to iCloud | Electronista
    Rello likes this.
    06-03-12 12:39 AM
    I hope RIM decides integrate NewBay and the "Cloud" with BB10. With the rumored/speculated departure from expansion memory and micro sd cards on BB10 devices it would be nice to have extra storage space. Now if only they could cut a deal with the carriers and allow streaming of NewBay "cloud" specific files free of charge or somehow manage to apply "BIS Data Compression" to NewBay files without loss of quality that would be great.
    Research In Motion could route all NewBay traffic through their NOC thereby allowing the data delivered to the BlackBerry smartphone to be compressed using the standard BIS data compression algorithms. The same would apply to 4G/LTE BlackBerry PlayBooks connected to a wireless carrier network. Why did RIM decide to eliminate microSD cards on BlackBerry 10 smartphones? I rely on keeping my most important documents, primarily reference documents, on the BlackBerry smartphone microSD card allowing easy access on the smartphone and tablet alike.
    06-03-12 01:53 AM

Links for views.

RIM buys NewBay for BlackBerry alternative to iCloud | Electronista

Bingo....people keep seemingly forgetting that RIM bought Newbay and I sincerely hope that a much more improved/consumer friendly cloud service is on the way. Would be a great feature for BB10

Research In Motion could route all NewBay traffic through their NOC thereby allowing the data delivered to the BlackBerry smartphone to be compressed using the standard BIS data compression algorithms. The same would apply to 4G/LTE BlackBerry PlayBooks connected to a wireless carrier network. Why did RIM decide to eliminate microSD cards on BlackBerry 10 smartphones? I rely on keeping my most important documents, primarily reference documents, on the BlackBerry smartphone microSD card allowing easy access on the smartphone and tablet alike.
    Yeah I don't really ever recall hearing that bb10 devices would eliminate sd card slots either....since Newbay already was partnered with companies like Verizon and tmobile, hoping RIM could strike a deal that exclude Newbay related data from being deducted from consumers data limits. I don't know if that is really possible but that would be an absolutely huge advantage RIM would have over any other cloud service
    Last edited by Rello; 06-03-12 at 02:57 AM.
    06-03-12 02:53 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD