Hey everyone. I’m a newly registered member to the forums but have been ‘lurking’ to solve my BB problems since I purchased a KeyOne for personal use a few years ago. Before I post my question, and on behalf of the other CB lurkers, I wanted to acknowledge your commitment to the BB community, devices and news. I'm sure I speak for the rest of us lurkers when I say that you guys are a ton of help.

However, I’ve run into a situation which seems to be unique – to these forums at least.

[Framing]: Though based in the United States, I frequent nations of NATO, OPEC, the Arab League and South America - for work. While I had previously traveled with burner phones, nations of my recent area of focus (Arab League & OPEC) have invested in significant stingray-type infrastructure, which is manufactured by L3Harris. Regardless, the deployment of this technology has rendered burner phone worthless and communication from these areas impossible without a VOIP through a VPN – both of which can run through android.

Technically, I’m a consultant, which means that though I handle and gather sensitive information for investment groups and government officials, I do not enjoy use of government infrastructure or procurement (no Boeing Black) and we are going away from the GSMK Cryptophone.

[Questions]:

Q1 – Given their country of origin, TCL products are problematic but not impossible to get around. That said, would you guys recommend a DTEK50 / DTEK60 or Motion, if money were not a factor and I’m going to cover the cameras anyways.

Q2 – I understand that users like Chuck Finley69 typically advocate the purchase of carrier supported phones, but I’ve not had luck unlocking phones with AT&T or T-Mobile in the past and need root access for ‘untrusted apps. How would I download updates without carrier support?

Q3 – Alternatives?
    09-03-19 01:11 PM
    I understand that users like Chuck Finley69 typically advocate the purchase of carrier supported phones, but I’ve not had luck unlocking phones with AT&T or T-Mobile in the past and need root access for ‘untrusted apps. How would I download updates without carrier support?
    If you genuinely need root access, and not just developer settings to allow for unknown sources, then don't buy a BlackBerry at all. They haven't been rooted / offer no root access.
    09-03-19 03:53 PM
    If you genuinely need root access, and not just developer settings to allow for unknown sources, then don't buy a BlackBerry at all. They haven't been rooted / offer no root access.
    Hey Bla1ze, I just read you commenting that on another post. I've since checked with our IT guy and he said that developer setting should be fine.
    09-03-19 03:57 PM
    Hey Bla1ze, I just read you commenting that on another post. I've since checked with our IT guy and he said that developer setting should be fine.
    Ok.. but back to the point of updates. There's no bother there anyway, the devices you mentioned won't be getting any more updates except possibly the Motion. The DTEK 50 and DTEK60 are done their lifecycle support and in the case of the Motion, it just depends on the device you purchase / where it's from. In any case, autoloader bypass the carrier updates.

As for whether or not they're worth it, well, I dunno. What are your expectations? Are looking to bypass some of the issues you may run into, because and out-of-the-box BlackBerry isn't going to offer the same thing as a Boeing Black or GSMK Cryptophone. You'd need to add more secure layers there like Secusmart. If you're just looking for a device to handle calls and emails, apps and VPN with that you can toss in the trash before leaving the country should be fine for that.
    CNR1 likes this.
    09-03-19 04:08 PM
    Ok.. but back to the point of updates. There's no bother there anyway, the devices you mentioned won't be getting any more updates except possibly the Motion. The DTEK 50 and DTEK60 are done their lifecycle support and in the case of the Motion, it just depends on the device you purchase / where it's from. In any case, autoloader bypass the carrier updates.
    Thanks a ton. Would you recommend a BB device for my scenario, even without updates? As long as it's an android, shouldn't it be able to run applications from google play etc?
    09-03-19 04:21 PM
    Thanks a ton. Would you recommend a BB device for my scenario, even without updates? As long as it's an android, shouldn't it be able to run applications from google play etc?
    Yeah, I mean I can't see any problems with it UNLESS you need an even higher level of security than what is offered out of the box.
    CNR1 likes this.
    09-03-19 04:25 PM
    I’m not an IT guy as I’ve repeatedly said, but I understand the need for protecting sensitive corporate and government information even to a personal level.

I don’t think BlackBerry is the right choice in this situation given the questions about rooting, country origin concerns or updates availability. Let me also clarify that your specific use case doesn’t fit my usual suggestions of carrier devices either.

I’d follow along the path fearless leader Bla1ze was starting with root access only possible with other Android brands. I’d pick the newest mid-tier Android from an OEM that doesn’t present country origin questions and let your IT guy set it up best way possible. He may even have a best choice device suggestions..

PS thanks for the earlier mention but you got the best replies from the man himself above...
    CNR1 likes this.
    09-03-19 04:36 PM
    Yeah, I mean I can't see any problems with it UNLESS you need an even higher level of security than what is offered out of the box.
    In my world, security is more about behavior and understanding who (or whom) may be targeting you specifically - though if you are targeted specifically, there is little that can be done aside from crossing back off of the grid. All I really need, are as follows:

1.) Some ability to prevent passive collection which can be purchased in the open market. DTEK seems to do a pretty good job with this, but I'm told that a few 'call outs' are found with software like wireshark.

2.) Ability to use a trusted VPN and maybe hotspot.

3.) Ability to use an encrypted VOIP and messenger such as (but not limited to) Signal.

4.) Ability to use non-trusted apps (different encrypted storage).

I'll be clearing everything and manually entering relevant contacts (stored on paper) by area, between trips.

Thanks for your help Bla1ze. In the end, I may shop by battery capacity, but I keep coming back to the DTEK's for some reason.
    09-03-19 08:39 PM
    It really sounds like you are describing just about any Android phone available these days. Avoid the extra cheapo brands that have spyware pre-loaded and you are good to go.
    09-04-19 10:51 AM
    The best cheapest BlackBerry to get right now is the Silver KEYone.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    09-04-19 12:02 PM
    In my world, security is more about behavior and understanding who (or whom) may be targeting you specifically - though if you are targeted specifically, there is little that can be done aside from crossing back off of the grid. All I really need, are as follows:

1.) Some ability to prevent passive collection which can be purchased in the open market. DTEK seems to do a pretty good job with this, but I'm told that a few 'call outs' are found with software like wireshark.

2.) Ability to use a trusted VPN and maybe hotspot.

3.) Ability to use an encrypted VOIP and messenger such as (but not limited to) Signal.

4.) Ability to use non-trusted apps (different encrypted storage).

I'll be clearing everything and manually entering relevant contacts (stored on paper) by area, between trips.

Thanks for your help Bla1ze. In the end, I may shop by battery capacity, but I keep coming back to the DTEK's for some reason.
    2 and 3 are on any Android phone. For 1, DTEK is reactive more than proactive, and doesn't do much past permissions control (if you wanted connection filtering, root access and a custom hosts file would be a better option). As for 4, you can load untrusted apps via APK but there's no separate storage location ala Secure Folder on Samsung. While apps like EDS offer VeraCrypt-like container support regardless of OEM, they don't allow app install to the container to the best of my knowledge. And Locker on the Motion isn't containerization, just some filesystem API hacks to make a hidden folder.
    09-04-19 12:09 PM