That's assuming there is another statement made. I mean look at something like computers. People still buy for the most part a Windows or Mac Computer. There has been companies try, and fail to become the next big thing in computer software. Hasn't happened. There is no evidence that there is going to be some massive shift or mobile OS that is going to pull people away from either Android or iOS. I'm not saying it won't happen but it's not something that is necessarily going to happen or has to happen.
    Thats because Windows became sort of the standard and we know users are afraid of change. Then you have Mac, people were tired of Windows and remembered Mac was there before so. I agree with you about the mobile OS but going back to what I just wrote, at least people know that Blackberry was big at some point. They will remember BB as the pioneer on good messaging platform. That part, we can count on.
    03-31-16 12:00 PM
    They will remember BB as the pioneer on good messaging platform. That part, we can count on.
    I wouldn't bet the farm on that.
    A great many people remember BlackBerry as the company that "fiddled while Rome burned".
    They have that loser stink that is hard to wash off.
    03-31-16 12:05 PM
    That's assuming there is another statement made. I mean look at something like computers. People still buy for the most part a Windows or Mac Computer. There has been companies try, and fail to become the next big thing in computer software. Hasn't happened. There is no evidence that there is going to be some massive shift or mobile OS that is going to pull people away from either Android or iOS. I'm not saying it won't happen but it's not something that is necessarily going to happen or has to happen.
    The thing is BlackBerry has or had potential, just that they never produced

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-31-16 12:11 PM
    The thing is BlackBerry has or had potential, just that they never produced

They were producing like crazy until Apple changed the game.
    03-31-16 12:13 PM
    I wouldn't bet the farm on that.
    A great many people remember BlackBerry as the company that "fiddled while Rome burned".
    They have that loser stink that is hard to wash off.
    Bad reputation is part of the business. I hated Apple computers in the 80's. I hate their UI and the whole sluggishness in them. I cant still get past that. It didnt stop alot of people from buying their Phones and computers in this era.
    03-31-16 12:14 PM
    Thats because Windows became sort of the standard and we know users are afraid of change. Then you have Mac, people were tired of Windows and remembered Mac was there before so. I agree with you about the mobile OS but going back to what I just wrote, at least people know that Blackberry was big at some point. They will remember BB as the pioneer on good messaging platform. That part, we can count on.
    That memory isn't going to last. The further Blackberry removes itself from the handset business the quicker it will fade. A large portion of people don't remember Palm and their Treo line as being a major player in the smartphone world and the younger generation has no idea who Blackberry even is.
    03-31-16 12:23 PM
    That memory isn't going to last. The further Blackberry removes itself from the handset business the quicker it will fade. A large portion of people don't remember Palm and their Treo line as being a major player in the smartphone world and the younger generation has no idea who Blackberry even is.
    Exactly. The younger generations have no connection or fondness for BlackBerry because they have no idea what they are and didn't grow up around them.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-16 02:41 PM
    at least people know that Blackberry was big at some point. They will remember BB as the pioneer on good messaging platform. That part, we can count on.
    Bet you a dollar more people remember AIM as a messaging pioneer than BBM. And I don't see AIM having a resurgence anytime soon.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-31-16 02:44 PM
    Bet you a dollar more people remember AIM as a messaging pioneer than BBM. And I don't see AIM having a resurgence anytime soon.
    meant email/messenger on a mobile platform.
    03-31-16 03:30 PM
    Nonsense. BlackBerry owned messaging in the corporate world until and even after the iPhone was released. Prior to BYOD a company issued BlackBerry was simply golden. It was the ultimate double edged sword. It freed you from your desk but also put work in front of you at all times. Despite all the vitrol that goes around on here there is STILL no other OS that manages email communications like a BlackBerry OS 7 or 10 device. I'll give anyone here my 5 email accounts and 1500 plus emails per week and then hand you BlackBerry 10 for a week. An iPhone for a week. Then next an Android device. Manage that and then tell me if Apple or Android are as good for a high volume of work email. (Hint-they are not even close to BlackBerry 10- not Blue Mail for Android or even Outlook on the iPhone- the native clients are not even worth consideration)

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    TheAuthority and Bluenoser63 like this.
    03-31-16 03:34 PM
    Nonsense. BlackBerry owned messaging in the corporate world until and even after the iPhone was released. Prior to BYOD a company issued BlackBerry was simply golden. It was the ultimate double edged sword. It freed you from your desk but also put work in front of you at all times. Despite all the vitrol that goes around on here there is STILL no other OS that manages email communications like a BlackBerry OS 7 or 10 device. I'll give anyone here my 5 email accounts and 1500 plus emails per week and then hand you BlackBerry 10 for a week. An iPhone for a week. Then next an Android device. Manage that and then tell me if Apple or Android are as good for a high volume of work email. (Hint-they are not even close to BlackBerry 10- not Blue Mail for Android or even Outlook on the iPhone- the native clients are not even worth consideration)

I have no doubt that for that volume, a BlackBerry with the HUB that works like it does on BB10 is perfect for you.

I also have no doubt that the average consumer doesn't get 1,500 emails a week, forcing them to spend 40 hours a week just reading and replying to emails. Which is why most of them don't care about BB10 or the PRIV, nor the HUB's all in one greatness.

I've got 4 email accounts and two socal accounts that I get messages through... and Android works just fine for me (without the HUB). So I'm happy someone is able to meet my more average needs. Not sure what you're going to do in the coming years.... maybe BlackBerry will continue to offer the HUB once they leave hardware.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-31-16 03:49 PM
    I have no doubt that for that volume, a BlackBerry with the HUB that works like it does on BB10 is perfect for you.

I also have no doubt that the average consumer doesn't get 1,500 emails a week, forcing them to spend 40 hours a week just reading and replying to emails. Which is why most of them don't care about BB10 or the PRIV, nor the HUB's all in one greatness.

I've got 4 email accounts and two socal accounts that I get messages through... and Android works just fine for me (without the HUB). So I'm happy someone is able to meet my more average needs. Not sure what you're going to do in the coming years.... maybe BlackBerry will continue to offer the HUB once they leave hardware.
    That could well be a nice thing, of they could dismantle their OS and offer their apps, hub and keyboard bbm

03-31-16 04:05 PM
    http://www.wired.com/2009/08/dayintech_0806/

Here ya go. They were worse off than BlackBerry. BlackBerry at least had some cash. If Apple can do it so could BlackBerry. Turnarounds are not exclusive to brands.

I think it's difficult to compare the two. Different times, different economies, different tech worlds.
    03-31-16 04:43 PM

I definitely agree my usage and volume is not average. And I can see where a average user with only a personal account or two with low email volume would not necessarily need a HUB. That being said there are those of us that do and I hope BlackBerry continues offering a niche product that does meet and or exceed my needs. ( BTW I have supported them with my wife and my 9000's, 9700's, 9900's, PlayBooks, Z10's, Z30's (Nov 14) and more recently my personal Passport (last Feb '15) and Classic (this past November) *My wife to this day won't give up her Z30 for anything else. And we can buy any device she would want. If they refine and perfect the HUB perhaps the PRIV for her when prices ebb. (we own 4 Samsung Tab Pro's for entertainment and reading and are familiar with Android)

My 19 yo employee just broke her fourth 128 GB iPhone 6. I asked her about her usage and it is almost exclusively Social Media. She tells me it's how the younger generation communicates. (I am a dinosaur business owner in my early 40's) I told her the business world is not there yet. Advertising yes but business to business communications not so much. LinkedIn some and some contacts on Facebook but overall for our line of work (Appraisals) claims software and clients still utilize good ole email. Interestingly she just bought a unlocked low to mid range 5.5 in LG from Boost Mobile and she said it does all the things she needs and can no longer justify the cost of an iPhone. I don't think this bodes particularly well for Apple. Especially with the 200-300 dollar range Android and the 140 percent increase last year of people buying unlocked and outright. Pricing is definitely going to come more and more into play as people quit amortizing monthly. (and yes the PRIV is too high-and for me unfortunately Android) I guess the 16GB SE could be an attempt for a lower cost avenue to Apple.

I am watching Microsoft and the possible Surface phone. (Win 10 is developing nicely) If they produce a x86 mobile phone offering with continuity across my business desktop, business/personal laptop/tablet and Xbox I'll definitely be paying attention.... Until then it's BlackBerry 10 for me.

Dunt Dunt Dunt and rusty502 like this.
    03-31-16 06:04 PM
    I think it's difficult to compare the two. Different times, different economies, different tech worlds.
    Apple got out of their mess with innovation and the brilliant mad man Jobs. (neither of which they have anymore) Certainly it can be done with the right strategic moves and vision.

03-31-16 06:18 PM
    Apple got out of their mess with innovation and the brilliant mad man Jobs. (neither of which they have anymore) Certainly it can be done with the right strategic moves and vision.

I see it more as a once in a lifetime event. Otherwise, it would have repeated itself.
    03-31-16 07:54 PM
    That could well be a nice thing, of they could dismantle their OS and offer their apps, hub and keyboard bbm
    That was the plan. The BlackBerry Experience Suite was its name. It was announced by Chen over a year ago, and would bring BB Hub etc to Android, iOS & WinPhone.

The webpage publicising it on BB's own website was pulled several months ago. Which I reckon tells you everything you need to know about whether it's still the plan.
    04-01-16 03:30 AM
    What is Microsoft in the midst of?

Microsoft hasn't gone almost bankrupt and had to shutter its doors.

That's the difference - Microsoft is doing what BlackBerry should have been doing back in 2008.
    TgeekB and rusty502 like this.
    04-01-16 06:51 AM
    That was the plan. The BlackBerry Experience Suite was its name. It was announced by Chen over a year ago, and would bring BB Hub etc to Android, iOS & WinPhone.

The webpage publicising it on BB's own website was pulled several months ago. Which I reckon tells you everything you need to know about whether it's still the plan.
    ....is JC really trying to kill BlackBerry or he is just incompetent and no clue on how to save this company?

04-01-16 07:12 AM
    ....is JC really trying to kill BlackBerry or he is just incompetent and no clue on how to save this company?

Look at the results from the quarterly report today. He IS saving the company.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and rusty502 like this.
    04-01-16 07:30 AM
    I was reading somewhere that BlackBerry inability to produce mid range phones or any phones at the MWC was a sign that they moving away from handset production. (Sounds bad)

But what if they want to attract governments and institutions to trust their software first, Priv being just a way of showing how good they are even on Android, only for BlackBerry to bounce back when the time is right time when security trust is fully established by the masses?

I mean the acquisition of watchdox secusmart good technology etc. All preparations for a good future software wise

I could be wrong thou!

Maybe not

04-02-16 02:39 PM
    Sad about this, BlackBerry 10 is the thing

04-19-16 02:00 AM
    Look at the results from the quarterly report today. He IS saving the company.

Posted via CB10
    In the short term maybe but what about the long run? If the company's revenue continues to decline, it doesn't look good for them in the future. Chen needs to improve sales or find other lucrative sources of revenue fast.

BB10 or Nothing! BlackBerry Forever!
    04-19-16 02:47 AM
    I wonder when this will be...

Posted via CB10
    04-19-16 08:10 AM
    Interestingly she just bought a unlocked low to mid range 5.5 in LG from Boost Mobile and she said it does all the things she needs and can no longer justify the cost of an iPhone. I don't think this bodes particularly well for Apple. Especially with the 200-300 dollar range Android and the 140 percent increase last year of people buying unlocked and outright. Pricing is definitely going to come more and more into play as people quit amortizing monthly.
    I don't think it bodes well for "flagship" phones in general. I get the same impression that, as the smartphone market has matured, people are simply getting less excited by "the next big thing," to use Samsung's marketing phrase. They pretty much know what they want to do with a phone, be it Facebook, Uber, Netflix, navigation, or whatever. If they can get one for $300-500 that does all that stuff well--and there are indeed very good phones in that range--they don't need to pay a premium of several hundred dollars more to get the ultimate phone.

I'm still chugging along on my OnePlus One. Although I've only had it since January 2015, the phone itself was released two years ago, for $350 (65 GB model). The thing still works great, and has outstanding battery life. I enjoy new toys as much as the next person, but it's hard for me to persuade myself that I need to buy a new phone at all anytime soon. And when I do, it's going to be even harder for me to persuade myself to spend $700 or more, for any phone.
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-19-16 09:42 AM
99 1234