BlackBerry boss talks Android and abandoning phones | CNET UK

Posted via CB10
    potatoguy likes this.
    11-06-13 06:25 AM
    That's funny. Not what I got out of Kevin's interview with him. Meh

Edit: read just the headline and then read the link. Kind of a misleading headline.
    11-06-13 06:27 AM
    Misleading or inappropriate headline indeed.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 06:38 AM
    The best part. I have a feeling a lot of "geniuses" are going to come up to me and say this exact thing to me regarding my phone. It happens all the time. I think a lot of these journalists know that most people don't get very far past the headline. Heck, I didn't. But why would I after such a cheery headline?
    GTiLeo likes this.
    11-06-13 06:52 AM
    Title is a contradiction. Why look at Android and stop making phones? Can't do that at the same time. Must be a journalist without logic, the tabloid type.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 07:30 AM
    Ya some out or context quotes in there, like calling talk of abandoning handsets "ridiculous".....Chen was very clearly calling the thought of commenting prematurely "ridiculous" not the idea of getting out of the handset business.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 07:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    Did you not even read the dang first paragraph?????

Title needs to be changed and the Op taken to task.

Posted via CB10 on a Verizon Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    11-06-13 08:03 AM
    Seriously. Say no to post-n-runs. If you can't be bothered to comment when linking then don't bother posting.
    11-06-13 08:58 AM
    Is this thread title really that confusing or misleading? He does talk about both, even if he said he wouldn't do either.

BlackBerry boss talks Android and abandoning phones
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    11-06-13 09:45 AM

It's the title of the article. No need to get your panties in a twist. And certainly don't shoot the messenger.
    11-06-13 09:59 AM
    Blasphemy!
    11-06-13 10:02 AM
    Nothing wrong with what the OP did, that is indeed what CNET put out. If you are angry at the title (or confused, etc), direct at CNET UK
    11-06-13 10:04 AM

Blame the biased UK media not the op.
    11-06-13 10:05 AM
    Is this thread title really that confusing or misleading? He does talk about both, even if he said he wouldn't do either.
    That was exactly my thought. There is really nothing wrong with this headline, thread title or article...except to the perpetually aggrieved...

First paragraph, because I suspect a few folks didn't read it before their blood pressure went up:

BlackBerry's new boss has spoken out about his plans to save the troubled company, calling questions about BlackBerry abandoning handsets "ridiculous" and stalling talk of a switch to Android.
    richardat and h20work like this.
    11-06-13 10:07 AM
    not misleading at all, normal sensationalistic headline.

Chen did talk about these things even if his answer was: I don't know yet - maybe.

Op, appears to have simply used the actual article title and doesn't deserve attack.
    11-06-13 10:14 AM
    It's the title of the article. No need to get your panties in a twist. And certainly don't shoot the messenger.
    Sorry. You might where panties but I don't.

The first paragraph shows just the opposite of the threads title.

11-06-13 10:16 AM
    Title is a contradiction. Why look at Android and stop making phones? Can't do that at the same time. Must be a journalist without logic, the tabloid type.

Posted via CB10
    It's not a contradiction at all. I believe you may be reading it: Chen says he will adopt android and abandon headsets.

He can certainly talk about both - and he did.
    11-06-13 10:17 AM

And yet the article's title is an exact match of the thread's title. You're chastising the OP for simply following forum protocol. Makes you look quite foolish.

Sorry about the panties thing, you can never be sure online. So please, don't get your knickers so twisted.
    11-06-13 10:21 AM

No it does not. Mr Chen does talk about Android and does talk about abandoning phones. Neither the headline or the thread title indicates HOW he talks about either issue. The agita caused by this is basically people trying to read between the lines instead of reading the actual article.
    Sith_Apprentice and richardat like this.
    11-06-13 10:49 AM
    And let face it HE doesn't really know what they are going to do for sure at this point. And he is just the CEO, not the all powerful KING that has ultimate power. I imagine he will want to bring in some people, let them get a feel for the market and how BlackBerry operates and how their customers (the big ones) feel about BB10 and BES10. It will take time to come up with the strategy that has the best shot at making BlackBerry profitable, and then he will have to get PW and the new Board to approve it. Will it include hardware... we will have to WAIT and see.
    11-06-13 03:33 PM
    The best part. I have a feeling a lot of "geniuses" are going to come up to me and say this exact thing to me regarding my phone. It happens all the time. I think a lot of these journalists know that most people don't get very far past the headline. Heck, I didn't. But why would I after such a cheery headline?
    i almost did then read on and all the tool bag did was pick apart Kevins Q&A no work of their own. seriouslly tech bloggers are stupid
    11-06-13 04:37 PM
    i almost did then read on and all the tool bag did was pick apart Kevins Q&A no work of their own. seriouslly tech bloggers are stupid
    I do love when gross over generalizations are made. Especially since, you know, Kevin and the entire mobile nations crew are tech bloggers. Maybe we should boycott tech bloggers?
    Last edited by mikeo007; 11-06-13 at 05:04 PM.
    11-06-13 04:54 PM
    I do love when gross over exaggerations are made. Especially since, you know, Kevin and the entire mobile nations crew are tech bloggers. Maybe we should boycott tech bloggers?
    maybe we should honestly i only look forward to reading Chris Umis blogs on the stock and his inputs on the business end, the rest is just for upcoming information on new releases i what look for. i just read through other blogs because i'm simply just board, often times i skim it and get bored and move on to youtube videos or the forums to read up on more farfeched ways BlackBerry can improve or how they are the best at life.

just don't care about what others think, i want numbers and facts so i can make my own judgment, you may think that i'm some huge fanboy and that nothing blackberry does iw wrong but frankly i've been kicked in the balls by their managements incompatence and i'm down more money then i'd like to be so seriously please stop assuming i approve of all things blackberry
    11-06-13 05:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Considering Mike L said "no" to Android when he was CEO, I doubt BlackBerry will go down this route. Though I won't rule it out.
    11-06-13 07:10 PM
    I read that they have purchase commitments to suppliers of $2.9B over the next 12 months.

It's impossible for them to exit the phone business without going bankrupt.

A transformation of focus is more likely over a year or 2.

Their employee skill base needs to transformed. Retraining, layoffs, new hires. Inventory and supply lines need to managed to reflect a new strategy and a new reality.

So we can only expect and evolution rather than a revolution. Most importantly the brakes and gear shift on this juggernaut operate in super slow motion. No on/off switch exists.
    11-06-13 07:59 PM
27 12