As per the BGR sources the Bold Touch looks better in person compared to the product renders. The unit itself is extremely solid and the touchscreen is very responsive it seems, hit the break for more details

BlackBerry Bold Touch 9930 hands-on! | BGR
    Last edited by sf49ers; 04-07-11 at 10:38 AM.
    04-07-11 10:29 AM
    They said 6.1 looked similar to 6.0 and were hoping for surprises at bbw
    04-07-11 10:42 AM
    What I look most forward to is that it seems to be the size of the Bold 9000. Which
    was my favorite BB form factor in its history.
    04-07-11 11:54 AM
    What I look most forward to is that it seems to be the size of the Bold 9000. Which
    was my favorite BB form factor in its history.
    My reason for wanting this - loved that form factor.....
    04-07-11 12:12 PM
    enough pictures..we want video!!!!
    04-07-11 12:21 PM
    Not interested in 6.1 at all, but I can't wait to play with this device. The 9000 IMO is the best BB to date, and it will be nice to play with an updated version.
    04-07-11 12:26 PM
    i've just checked with my carrier, when the phone comes out i can just use the contract im having right now on my new phone then, which is pretty awesome : )
    so i'd only have to pay for the phone, and i know i'll get the dakota the very moment its available, but the same goes for QNX phones
    and even tho i know i'll just get both, theres 1 thing which bothers me

what if the dakota should be available in june/july, i'll get it.. and the qnx phones hit the market in early/mid 2012? so i just used my phone for about 1 year, which isnt exactly a problem (would be kinda useless if it'd be less than 10months or so..)

but what if i'll get the dakota, but app developers wont really bother with 6.1 as others said
    of course apps like facebook, twitter, liveprofile, IM+, myspace, engadget etc will be available soon after the devices are released, but what about some other 3rd applications?
    (ok, facebook/twitter etc preinstalled)

and another thing.. when buying apps like IM+ Pro and many others on my dakota then, will they be available on the QNX phones when the developers released them or would i have to pay for them again? i mean, its a completely new software, but then again they'd be purchased via appworld, with which they'll stick
    but its probably up to the developers

hmnn.. oo
    04-07-11 12:30 PM
    i've just checked with my carrier, when the phone comes out i can just use the contract im having right now on my new phone then, which is pretty awesome : )
    so i'd only have to pay for the phone, and i know i'll get the dakota the very moment its available, but the same goes for QNX phones

what if the dakota should be available in june/july, i'll get it.. and the qnx phones hit the market in early/mid 2012? so i just used my phone for about 1 year, which isnt exactly a problem (would be kinda useless if it'd be less than 10months or so..)

but what if i'll get the dakota, but app developers wont really bother with 6.1 as others said
    of course apps like facebook, twitter, liveprofile, IM+, myspace, engadget etc will be available soon after the devices are released, but what about some other 3rd applications?

and another thing.. when buying apps like IM+ Pro and many others on my dakota then, will they be available on the QNX phones when the developers released them or would i have to pay for them again? i mean, its a completely new software, but then again they'd be purchased via appworld, with which they'll stick

hmnn.. oo
    That's actually a good question. But I don't know that the developers could
    justify charging again considering that they make apps for a certain brand
    platform as opposed to software platform. Like BeeJive says they make their
    app for iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry. Nobody really says anything about
    the actual OS itself.
    04-07-11 12:55 PM
    guess only time will tell, eh?
    wonder how many developers refrain from making apps for 6.1, i want all my current apps on 6.1 and QNX
    pretty please : P
    04-07-11 02:34 PM

hmnn.. oo
    I see no reason to suspect that BB's app ecosystem is going to change dramatically with 6.1. If superior app variety and availability is the strongest motivating factor for your next phone, go with iPhone or an Android.

That being said ... RIM is doing a lot of work to make components of OS6.1 reusable in OS7, and I have a strong suspicion that application run time environment is one of them. If they're going through the trouble to make Android apps usable on the PlayBook, I would have to think they'd put forth the effort to make their own apps usable on their next-gen OS. That would be a big barrier that I'm sure they don't want in the way when those phones do arrive. JMHO.
    04-07-11 02:34 PM
    I see no reason to suspect that BB's app ecosystem is going to change dramatically with 6.1. If superior app variety and availability is the strongest motivating factor for your next phone, go with iPhone or an Android.

That being said ... RIM is doing a lot of work to make components of OS6.1 reusable in OS7, and I have a strong suspicion that application run time environment is one of them. If they're going through the trouble to make Android apps usable on the PlayBook, I would have to think they'd put forth the effort to make their own apps usable on their next-gen OS. That would be a big barrier that I'm sure they don't want in the way when those phones do arrive. JMHO.
    hey, hey, hey ! : D
    i'd never leave RIM, i love my blackberry, i was just wondering
    i dont really care about millions of apps and other useless stuff, i just want the few apps that i use on my next phone as well, messaging apps and a few others

i'll definitely stick with bb, theres no way i'd ever get an iphone or android
    04-07-11 02:39 PM
    Regardless... from the specs, pictures and rumors dropping, this phone looks sexy. S E X Y.

and powerful.
    04-07-11 02:50 PM
    hey, hey, hey ! : D
    i'd never leave RIM, i love my blackberry, i was just wondering
    i dont really care about millions of apps and other useless stuff, i just want the few apps that i use on my next phone as well, messaging apps and a few others

i'll definitely stick with bb, theres no way i'd ever get an iphone or android
    Whew ... ok. Thought for a sec you were being seduced by the dark side.

Anyway, I'm just guessing here, but I don't think app compatibility will be an issue going from 6.1 to 7.0. I mean, Mike L is already calling them super-phones, so by definition they'll have to be able to do anything and everything.

Regardless... from the specs, pictures and rumors dropping, this phone looks sexy. S E X Y.

and powerful.

Giggity!

Last edited by 18to12fitty; 04-07-11 at 03:06 PM.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    04-07-11 03:04 PM
    I must agree, this phone has looked amazing the past few days with all the pics, vids, and hands on. I just with my Hands, were the ones on it. But that's a far off dream right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-11 03:35 PM
    Hopefully RIM will release the Bold Touch 9930 early June, this will definatly be the smartphone I'm picking up.

04-07-11 07:24 PM
    Powerful? Blackberry? Say it ain't so!
    04-07-11 07:53 PM
    Powerful? Blackberry? Say it ain't so!
    AND sexy. Believe it!
    04-07-11 08:21 PM
    June? July? I was hoping May.
    04-07-11 09:34 PM
    June? July? I was hoping May.
    I still believe the big 3 will release the Bold Touch 9930 late May-early June. Is it me? Or does these pics from BGR look more like the T-Mobile Bold 9780? The youtube tutorial vids showed a more stainless steel chrome sides than these pics...and is the one pic a comparision of the 9930 and an iphone? I'm very happy the good buzz that the Bold Touch 9930 is already getting, just all the more reason I'm picking this bad boy up soon as it's released on Sprint

04-08-11 12:40 PM
    Looks pretty sweet!
    04-08-11 01:18 PM
    Is this a full touchscreen BB or is just the top half touchscreen?

If it's a half screen touchscreen, I'm failing to understand how anyone with fingers bigger than that of a two year olds can type on it? What could you do with the touchscreen other than click icons?

Now if it's a full touchscreen like my S2, I can see it, but I can't tell from the photos if it's a v-keyboard or a regular keyboard.
    04-08-11 01:25 PM
    Is this a full touchscreen BB or is just the top half touchscreen?

If it's a half screen touchscreen, I'm failing to understand how anyone with fingers bigger than that of a two year olds can type on it? What could you do with the touchscreen other than click icons?

Now if it's a full touchscreen like my S2, I can see it, but I can't tell from the photos if it's a v-keyboard or a regular keyboard.
    It is just the top half of the phone that is a touchscreen and as far as typing on it, why would you want to when you have the best keyboard of any phone right underneath the screen.

While some people think the screen is too small, I think they are approaching it from the wrong perspective, having the touchscreen simply gives people more ways to interact with their phone and plenty of time they will just be using the trackpad and keyboard when those are a better option.
    Last edited by Skeevecr; 04-09-11 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Clarified post for those who couldn't manage to read the quoted part before panic set in. ;-)
    04-08-11 01:46 PM
    It is just the top half that is a touchscreen and as far as typing on it, why would you want to when you have the best keyboard of any phone right underneath the screen.

While some people think the screen is too small, I think they are approaching it from the wrong perspective, having the touchscreen simply gives people more ways to interact with their phone and plenty of time they will just be using the trackpad and keyboard when those are a better option.
    Agreed. The touchscreen is more for the gestural approach. Zooming and panning through areas will be more fluid, rather than clicking to different zoom levels, etc.
    04-08-11 01:48 PM
    At 1st I thought a touchscreen for just a 2.8" screen didn't make sense, but having the luxury of a touchscreen, optical trackpad and qwerty keyboard working in harmony does make sense...it's like the best of both worlds, AND what makes this a better smartphone for me instead of the Torch 2 (which Sprint isn't getting anyhow) is the full size qwerty keyboard. Again, this WILL be the best selling BlackBerry for 2011.
    04-08-11 02:31 PM
    It is just the top half that is a touchscreen and as far as typing on it, why would you want to when you have the best keyboard of any phone right underneath the screen.

How much bigger is the bold touch compared to the 9650 or other versions.

Also- having a trackpad makes sense. All touch is inefficient at this point and like you said, options are good.
    04-08-11 02:32 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD