If you have any understanding of the Blackberry device and can maintain your objectivity, then you should take this article with a grain of salt.

It's a sorta review(?) of a 9900 and I'm wondering, after reading it, if the author really evaluated the device or just did a cut-and-paste job from various other sources, collected a paycheck and called it a day.

Did you know that the 9700 is the predecessor of the 9900...as in it evolved from it? That's the way the article would lead you to believe (or at least how I took it). I would compare what the author wrote to say the 9700 is to the iPhone 3 as the 9900 is to the iPhone 4. It was a linear progression and not two device cousins. Make sense?

Anyway, read for yourself and comment if you're bored.

BlackBerry Bold 9900: The Swan Song of a Standard | PCWorld Business Center
    melb_me likes this.
    12-26-11 08:00 AM
    Good read eh. I love my 9900
    12-26-11 02:59 PM
    they explicitly say it...

"The BlackBerry Bold is better than the previous BlackBerry 9700 in its integration of social networking, and it offers a better Web browser, beefier hardware, and the partial adoption of touch."
    12-26-11 03:08 PM
    The frustrations this guy has with Blackberries are the same frustrations I have when using my wife's Evo. I actually like the BB menu and find it easier to get to what I want to do. Believe it or not, I like the UI of BB social media apps. FB and Twitter kinda suck for me on Android. Oh well, to each his own.
    12-26-11 10:58 PM
    Right. Nobody has posted in the "Cell phone" section of this guys forum in over 2 weeks. Why would you post something from such an irrelevant writer? Like, has anybody ever read this guys stuff other than you? Too funny. Also he seems to have spent a good deal of time writing something that so few people have read.

If he was worth a sh!t or had a paying job he would probably have seen a bit of utility in a Blackberry since: I HAVE YET TO MEET SOMEONE WITH A REAL JOB (that in any way relies on communication) THAT DOES NOT HAVE ONE.

End rant...sorry OP......
    Last edited by melb_me; 12-26-11 at 11:19 PM.
    12-26-11 11:17 PM
    Right. Nobody has posted in the "Cell phone" section of this guys forum in over 2 weeks. Why would you post something from such an irrelevant writer? Like, has anybody ever read this guys stuff other than you? Too funny. Also he seems to have spent a good deal of time writing something that so few people have read.

If he was worth a sh!t or had a paying job he would probably have seen a bit of utility in a Blackberry since: I HAVE YET TO MEET SOMEONE WITH A REAL JOB (that in any way relies on communication) THAT DOES NOT HAVE ONE.

End rant...sorry OP......
    No worries. Takes a helluva lot more to offend this Sailor...

If your question about anyone reading this guy's stuff was directed at me, I only came across this story on the Infoworld site after reading a link shared by another guy here on Crackberry (the one about why RIM should keep the Blackberry brand and why it should sell it). Thought it was worth sharing if only because of the "wtf? you gotta read this" reaction I had.

I personally think the writer is way off and if he's getting paid for putting together this crap then I'm in the wrong business and need to start blogging a helluva lot more.
    12-27-11 01:20 AM
    This article sucks. They seem to get almost everything wrong because his phone did not have the right default setting set up. Here are some examples of the stuff this guy got wrong.

- Email - recently use list. Have to enable it in the settings
    - calendar view switching - turn off quick entry in the settings and then hit A for agenda
    - no save button in address book. Just enter the info and hit the back button, you will be prompted to save from there
    - auto correct - enabled in the setting. I keep it off because I like to change the words myself.

there were many more incorrect statements on how to do thing on the BB.

For me, the BB is the easiest phone OS. I have 5 iOS devices at my him and I choose BB because it just works better and is faster to get stuff done. It makes me sad to see people make assumptions about the BB based off their ignorance or that they are using a 4.7 device.

My cousin was complaining about how his BB is no behind the times and is asking me for advice to get a new phone that is not a BB. I asked him why he doesn't want another BB and he said that the browser sucks. He is using a BB Curve 4.7 device.

RIM needs to do an awareness and feature campaign.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-27-11 01:48 AM
    BlackBerry OS 7 does have solid support for the evolving HTML5 standard. In the HTML5Test.com benchmarks, it scores 260 (out of 450 points), versus 230 for Android 4, 222 for Android 3, 184 for Android 2.3, and 141 for Windows Phone 7.5. But iOS 5 outperforms them all, scoring 296.

Key piece, BB outperforms Android devices!
    12-27-11 09:26 AM
    It was apparent to this reader, that the writer was attempting to sway the reader away from purchasing a RIM Blackberry Bold. But who hasn't figured out by now that If you want a good review in PC Magazine, you need to pay for it.
    12-29-11 12:57 PM

- Email - recently use list. Have to enable it in the settings
    - calendar view switching - turn off quick entry in the settings and then hit A for agenda
    - no save button in address book. Just enter the info and hit the back button, you will be prompted to save from there
    - auto correct - enabled in the setting. I keep it off because I like to change the words myself.
    Obviously he didn't read the instruction manual.

He just assumed it would be intuitive.
    12-29-11 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD