1. redgini94's Avatar
    I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 that I fell in love with at the store. This summer I was riding my motorcycle in rainstorm, and had my bb in my jacket pocket. When I first got off the motorcycle I still used it for about 2 hours before I noticed any thing wrong with phone. I took out battery and saw a layer of water under battery. I did the usual bag of rice trick. It would work for a short while before shutting off because of "low battery" Because of the low battery message that seemed to be the only problem with my phone, I bought a new bb brand battery for phone. I put in my bb bold and charged it over night, and the next day had the same "low battery" message and a phone that was turned into an expensive paper weight. There is no doubt on the phone has water damage, but does anyone know the part that would need replaced/fixed? Thanks for the help!

    --Better to die fighting for something than live for nothing--
    01-28-12 01:59 PM
  2. cntrydncr223's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that! What a total bummer!

    This was done 6-8 months ago? It's likely that the insides are fried. I've never done it (knock on wood), but I read that once it gets wet, don't use it till it's dry.

    You might need to send it in for repairs.
    You might be real lucky to have gotten ANY use out of it.
    You also might be in for another purchase soon....
    01-28-12 04:11 PM
  3. karaya1's Avatar
    You can try the distilled water/alcohol recover trick. I've had it work on a 9780, 8100, 8900 and fail on a 8320.

    Disassemble the phone, spray the mainboard with distilled water(i like cheap spray bottles from walmart). Follow up with soaking/heavily spraying (i spray, some soak, ymmv) it in 97 or higher percent alcohol for a few minutes, then put the parts in a tub of rice for at least 72 hours (my 8100 took a week to dry out and work)

    Water doesn't "destroy" electronics like phones, its the minerals that end up causing it to short out and not function once it dries. Distilled water Alcohol -can- dissolve those minerals therefore restoring proper functionality of the device.

    No guarantees, but it's worked for me 3/4 tries.
    redgini94 likes this.
    01-28-12 08:14 PM
  4. ronnie51's Avatar
    Take the battery and sim card out and put ur phone in some dry rice for about 6-8 hrs. It will dry out that way.
    01-29-12 07:10 AM
  5. redgini94's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice karaya1, I will try it out. Oh and ronnie51 if you would have read, I have already done the bag of rice trick.
    01-30-12 02:24 PM