Would that kind of access make local encryption useless and would it give access to Say the onedrive App as well?

Posted via CB10
    Local encryption? Yes, it would see through that.

But cloud-based documents would be a lot harder to pilfer. That requires understanding the connection, grabbing it, and figuring out what the heck it is.
    01-25-21 02:34 PM
    Convenience is important. So is data integrity.

Today I just got my 5th Android smartphone - my first was in 2012 I believe. I turned on the phone, logged in with my Google account, and clicked "restore" from my 4th phone, and in 20 minutes, all of my contacts, emails, texts, photos, videos, bookmarks, and apps were all installed on the new phone. In addition - and for my job, this is hugely important - every WiFi login credential that I've used since that first phone in 2012 is now in my new phone automatically, so that when I show up at the 3 customers I'm visiting tomorrow, I'll immediately have WiFi connections there, which will be necessary for working on their gear.

I have a SINGLE app that I use regularly that doesn't use cloud backup for data, so I have to copy those settings over manually. Takes about 2 minutes.

But should my phone be lost, damaged, stolen, or just fail, I can buy a new phone, log in, hit Restore, and know that in less than an hour, I'll be fully up and running - and it doesn't even matter which Android OEM I choose. THAT is powerful.

I used to do phone repair as a side business. Do you have any idea how many people had very important documents, pictures, and videos on their devices and NO WHERE ELSE, and then dropped that phone to the ground - or into water - or used it until the battery was dead, and only THEN realized that they had irreplaceable stuff on those phones. I often had to tell them that their data was gone forever, because their devices were so badly damaged.

Today, most people are using cloud backup - whether they realize it or not - and so most of their data is recoverable. I'm fully aware of the problems that cloud backups could cause, but the vast majority of those issues can be prevented with just a bit of care, such as remembering (or writing down) your password and using 2-factor authentication and, most importantly, keeping your account recovery information up-to-date.

99.999% of people who are intentionally NOT using cloud data are also not making regular and frequent backups of their data - many do NO backups at all - and their data is very much at risk. Most people don't want their data at risk, and a cloud backup solution is easily the best solution anyone has come up with to date.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-26-21 03:34 AM

I used to do phone repair as a side business. Do you have any idea how many people had very important documents, pictures, and videos on their devices and NO WHERE ELSE, and then dropped that phone to the ground - or into water - or used it until the battery was dead, and only THEN realized that they had irreplaceable stuff on those phones. I often had to tell them that their data was gone forever, because their devices were so badly damaged.
    I would assume drops and water damage is the most common form. My understanding of desktop operating systems where backup of all settings, programs/apps, etc is possible localy leads me to think same would be possible to save on Say an SD card for example. Could be wrong. I would much prefer such a solution then keeping my sensitive data on someone's Server. If I was tech savy enough maybe build my own Server.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-21 08:00 AM
    I would assume drops and water damage is the most common form. My understanding of desktop operating systems where backup of all settings, programs/apps, etc is possible localy leads me to think same would be possible to save on Say an SD card for example. Could be wrong. I would much prefer such a solution then keeping my sensitive data on someone's Server. If I was tech savy enough maybe build my own Server.

Posted via CB10
    I have two Synology servers, in two separate locations, and I mirror them. I also sync all of my cloud accounts with them.

A server in your house doesn't do much good if your house burns down.
    01-26-21 08:06 AM
    If you were given a million dollars in cash... would you put it in your mattress or in a bank?

It might feel better to limit access to your valuables to only you and within your personal reach. But you can't really consider them as safe and secure.....

My Samsung did allow for mostly full backups via a PC and their custom desktop software... but it was manual and required cable connection. I did it once a month or so for the heck of it. But I relied on Android for full backups, and then used other services to supplement those as well for some data.

I'm not sure if any "app" really will be able to gain the access needed to do full backups to an SD card... not without root. But then you have to make sure the SD Card isn't encrypted - and hope it isn't damaged or loss with the phone.
    01-26-21 08:44 AM
    If you were given a million dollars in cash... would you put it in your mattress or in a bank?

I'm not sure if any "app" really will be able to gain the access needed to do full backups to an SD card... not without root. But then you have to make sure the SD Card isn't encrypted - and hope it isn't damaged or loss with the phone.
    If I had a million $ in cash I would blow it Vegas. LoL. No, I would invest it, I get e-mails almost every day about investment opportunites in africa and India, some even Say I'm related to some prince. Unfortunately I never had enough to send them the initial amount to get the paperwork started. Would be nice to reconnect with family abroad.
    A million cash takes up far more space then an SD card. If a mill could fit in my pocket I certainly wouldn't put in the bank so the jews could stare át it (calm down, it's a family guy joke, look it up). Also if my bank gót broken into and posted my notes online?...*cough* amazon servers/icloud *cough*

As far as the App issue is concerned I Just remembered that Blend was able to do it, even most of the apps used could be restored with it. I think some of the android fork ones maybe not but I have done full restores after manual software flashes with Blend.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-21 05:55 PM
    The issue goes back to: if it's a manual process, almost no one will actually do it. I've set up backup drives for customers with one-button click on the desktop, and they still don't do the backups. You really need automated backup, and cloud gives you that.

Plus, how easy is it to lose an SD card (or leave it in your phone, so if the phone is lost/stolen/damaged, so is the SD card)? How easy is it for SD cards to fail? I use SD cards, but never for the ONLY copy of data - I consider any and all data on an SD card to be disposable, and only for carrying around a COPY of data I have stored elsewhere. People have lost lots of important docs, and YEARS of irreplaceable family photos and videos because they only had a copy on their SD card, and it died, or was lost/stolen/damaged.

Maybe 1 in 10,000 customers would actually USE a manual backup process regularly enough for it to help, but that's still 0.01% of users, and so you can understand why few companies are going to focus on that tiny sliver of customers, when pleasing and protecting the 99.99% is much more critical to their success.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    01-26-21 11:10 PM
    Maybe 1 in 10,000 customers would actually USE a manual backup process regularly enough for it to help, but that's still 0.01% of users, and so you can understand why few companies are going to focus on that tiny sliver of customers, when pleasing and protecting the 99.99% is much more critical to their success.
    Which Just so happens to be a better Business model for the companies by shear accident right? Larger market adoption doesn't mean safer in this case. I get it, people want things to be easier. Cloud is EASIER. That's why I use it to. But also..Hehe...also using SD cards and other forms of local is SAFER. That's all.

Going back to a previous point if someone were to gain access to your encrypted data localy, Say a certain canadian brand made by chinese manufacturer circa 2017, would they also have access to the apps? Can they get into banking apps (supposedly secured by the bank) or Say locker App and password app?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-21 09:11 AM
    Which Just so happens to be a better Business model for the companies by shear accident right? Larger market adoption doesn't mean safer in this case. I get it, people want things to be easier. Cloud is EASIER. That's why I use it to. But also..Hehe...also using SD cards and other forms of local is SAFER. That's all.

Going back to a previous point if someone were to gain access to your encrypted data localy, Say a certain canadian brand made by chinese manufacturer circa 2017, would they also have access to the apps? Can they get into banking apps (supposedly secured by the bank) or Say locker App and password app?

Posted via CB10
    But, like I've been trying to explain, local backups are NOT safer.

Safer from a hacker? Possibly, but not if cloud use is done correctly.

Safer from loss? Absolutely not.
    01-31-21 09:34 AM
    But, like I've been trying to explain, local backups are NOT safer.

Safer from a hacker? Possibly, but not if cloud use is done correctly.

Safer from loss? Absolutely not.
    No need to explain. It's not rocket science nor do I have rockets leaving to space from my garden posing a significant fire hazzard hehe. Local is safer from hackers and loss is not an issue with multiple backups and behaving responsibly. Tinfoil all the waaaaaaaay

What about the apps on a hacked phone, they safe or those comprimised as well?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-21 10:04 AM
    No need to explain. It's not rocket science nor do I have rockets leaving to space from my garden posing a significant fire hazzard hehe. Local is safer from hackers and loss is not an issue with multiple backups and behaving responsibly. Tinfoil all the waaaaaaaay

What about the apps on a hacked phone, they safe or those comprimised as well?

Posted via CB10
    Well if the phone (end point) is hacked.... local isn't safe.

I know a little about IT.... I'll be honest I worry a lot more about my always on network and systems being hacked than about Amazon or Microsoft cloud options being hacked. I bet you'd be surprised by how many business today have far fewer "local" devices.
    02-04-21 10:49 AM
    I am old school and though I have data backed up on the cloud, I also have a hard copy backup on a portable drive and a USB stick.

I know cloud based storage is what everyone is promoting as the safest way of securing data. But everyday I read about servers and companies being hacked and user data being stolen and some of these companies are software security outfits!!

I will continue to back up my company and private data to my portable drives as I have for years. I am old school and it’s better that I do the backup and have the drive in my possession, that way if the data is stolen or lost, it’s my fault and not some Russian or 15 year old hacker trying to steal my files.
    02-04-21 03:53 PM
    I am old school and though I have data backed up on the cloud, I also have a hard copy backup on a portable drive and a USB stick.

I know cloud based storage is what everyone is promoting as the safest way of securing data. But everyday I read about servers and companies being hacked and user data being stolen and some of these companies are software security outfits!!

I will continue to back up my company and private data to my portable drives as I have for years. I am old school and it’s better that I do the backup and have the drive in my possession, that way if the data is stolen or lost, it’s my fault and not some Russian or 15 year old hacker trying to steal my files.
    There are many secure solutions. If the data is encrypted it doesn't matter if it gets hacked.

Just use a good password and 2FA.

If your company data is lost, I'm not sure how much better it would be for them if it turned out to be your fault.
    Last edited by conite; 02-04-21 at 08:12 PM.
    02-04-21 04:38 PM
    There are many secure solutions. If the date is encrypted it doesn't matter if it gets hacked.

Just use a good password and 2FA.

If your company data is lost, I'm not sure how much better it would be for them if it turned out to be your fault.
    I already use and preach good password protection and I have always make local backups to a USB stick and portable drive, I have used that system since the early days and some habits are just hard to change.
    02-04-21 08:07 PM
39 12