They should bring back Blackberry Blend back with the new Blackberry %G in 2021

works excellent with Desktop and increase productivity
    Jake2826, Rico4you and grover5 like this.
    12-06-20 09:54 PM
    I agree but it needs to be reimagined and improved. Especially since Samsung DeX has moved its basic vision.

BBuso77 likes this.
    12-07-20 12:29 AM
    I agree but it needs to be reimagined and improved. Especially since Samsung DeX has moved its basic vision.

So money needs to be spent..... If it wasn't worth it back when BlackBerry was hoping to sell millions, no way it's going to happen at this point.

But 100% agree it was a great idea.... For those that cooperate allowed to install it, or for those using a desktop a lot.
    bakron1 likes this.
    12-07-20 08:29 AM
    So money needs to be spent..... If it wasn't worth it back when BlackBerry was hoping to sell millions, no way it's going to happen at this point.
    Pretty much. It would, in my opinion, need a from the ground up revision, so yeah. Money spent.
    12-07-20 10:18 AM
    You could use that Microsoft option (my phone? Your phone?)

Posted via CB10
    12-07-20 02:40 PM
    You could use that Microsoft option (my phone? Your phone?)

Posted via CB10
    I use MS My Phone. The latest version is very good. Lots of options.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    12-07-20 09:20 PM
    I loved Blackberry blend, but I will say that my iPhone 12 Pro integration with my Mac desktop pretty much does everything that blend did.
    12-08-20 06:23 PM
    I loved Blackberry blend, but I will say that my iPhone 12 Pro integration with my Mac desktop pretty much does everything that blend did.
    So now I need a Mac.....
    12-09-20 12:03 PM
    So now I need a Mac.....
    I like Mac OS and have been using it since 2008, it has been improving with every update. Big Sur is the latest and has a lot of nice features.
    Last edited by bakron1; 12-09-20 at 04:25 PM.
    12-09-20 04:07 PM
    So now I need a Mac.....
    Using Google services, I've been able to do all of those things since I got my first Android smartphone around 2009. It might have taken a couple of different apps to accomplish the various features, but Blend doesn't do anything that hasn't been available in one form or another on other platforms - which is why no one outside of the BB world cared about it in 2013. Blend really just collected a number of features under one umbrella, and made those features available to BB users for the first time. None of those features were new, though - it's just that BB users weren't aware of those features until Blend happened.

It's kind of like the people who think BB invented gesture-based navigation - they're completely unaware of WebOS which introduced the concept commercially years earlier - or the Apple people who think every feature that's new to iOS is new to the world and an Apple invention - even when Apple is the last major platform to get a particular feature. LOL.
    12-09-20 10:28 PM
    Using Google services, I've been able to do all of those things since I got my first Android smartphone around 2009. It might have taken a couple of different apps to accomplish the various features, but Blend doesn't do anything that hasn't been available in one form or another on other platforms - which is why no one outside of the BB world cared about it in 2013. Blend really just collected a number of features under one umbrella, and made those features available to BB users for the first time. None of those features were new, though - it's just that BB users weren't aware of those features until Blend happened.

It's kind of like the people who think BB invented gesture-based navigation - they're completely unaware of WebOS which introduced the concept commercially years earlier - or the Apple people who think every feature that's new to iOS is new to the world and an Apple invention - even when Apple is the last major platform to get a particular feature. LOL.
    Spot on, especially about Apple.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-20 02:28 PM

As with you sir, I have been around since the early days and a lot of this stuff like gesture based navigation, windows like GUI’s and so on where done by company’s like WebOS, Zerox, Digital Research, Sun Micro and so on way back in the early days.

Apple, Microsoft, Google and the lot of the so called tech giants all used ideas and concepts thought out long ago.

The best part is the folks who where smart enough to patent and copyright their ideas are retired, drinking martinis and living in gated communities somewhere enjoying their spoils. Capitalism at its best.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-12-20 07:54 AM
    As with you sir, I have been around since the early days and a lot of this stuff like gesture based navigation, windows like GUI’s and so on where done by company’s like WebOS, Zerox, Digital Research, Sun Micro and so on way back in the early days.

Apple, Microsoft, Google and the lot of the so called tech giants all used ideas and concepts thought out long ago.

The best part is the folks who where smart enough to patent and copyright their ideas are retired, drinking martinis and living in gated communities somewhere enjoying their spoils. Capitalism at its best.
    If BlackBerry had been less focused on hardware and phones... they might could have been a very successful software company. BBM on iOS and Android in 2008.... Productivity software with that business flavor.... If BES had been moved towards open management of iOS and Android, half those other MDM/UEM companies would never existed.

But BES never really was good at MDM or iOS or Android... took them buying GOOD to offer that. And cross platform BBM, still isn't perfect... but they waited about five years too long.
    bakron1 likes this.
    12-14-20 10:15 AM
    Being able to access almost every important data you keep in your smartphone from a computer or table is just awesome. It gives you an enhanced user experience with the security we all know Blackberry provides
    In the context of 2020, you're thinking of it backwards. Now it's a matter of being able to access all of your secured cloud storage from your various devices and platforms - mobile included.

Data resiliency is as important as any other factor. You should be able to lose or break any one device at any moment without giving it a second thought .

Local storage should not only be considered retro, but dangerous.
    pdr733 and Tsepz_GP like this.
    12-23-20 03:03 PM
    In the context of 2020, you're thinking of it backwards. Now it's a matter of being able to access all of your secured cloud storage from your various devices and platforms - mobile included.

Data resiliency is as important as any other factor. You should be able to lose or break any one device at any moment without giving it a second thought .

Local storage should not only be considered retro, but dangerous.
    I’m still pretty old school about this yet I am also accepting the new school of thought, I have 200GB Google storage, 1TB Microsoft OneDrive and 2.2TB Apple iCloud.

The Google Drive is literally just for any Android that I use that has GMS access, I don’t use Androids as my daily drivers anymore so I chose to go with a cheap storage option that at least allows me to back-up what I need to e.g. Photos and Videos.

On the other hand I use Apple devices primarily so of course I bought a lot of iCloud storage over and above my AppleOne Family subscription and then there is the Microsoft laptops I have so, I have OneDrive as a go between for my Apple, Google, Microsoft and Huawei devices (I am a mess I know but this works for me very well������)

With the above said I still have a minimum limit of 256GB local storage for my smartphones and tablets, I just feel better with a device that still has sizable Local Storage for the days where there maybe power outages or if I am in a remote area or my mobile network goes to crap.

Even when watching a Netflix series e.g. Schitt$ Creek, I have my iPad Pro automatically downloading episodes just in case (of course it deletes them after I have watched and downloads the next) of a power outage or network failure which can happen often, especially with our thunderstorms down here in Johannesburg.

I have however embraced cloud storage and I have my devices all synced to the cloud and backing up regularly, this became a great thing when my Xs Max got stolen earlier this year, when my insurance replaced with my current 11 Pro Max I simply restored my Xs Max stuff on my 11 Pro Max and I was good to keep going almost from where I left from the Xs Max, with the exception of what was not backed up the week of the Xs Max being stolen.

I absolutely agree, one should simply not have to worry about the device if it goes missing or gets stolen, all your data needs to be sitting somewhere accessible to you and only you.
    12-24-20 06:05 AM
    Cloud storage is a lot more dangerous then local, as all the nude leakes of previous years have proven. If you lose or damage local storage noone else can access your files at least with proper security locks in place on the device. Now if someone clever enough to break through the locks can get their hands on the device then maybe they can get access, but someone that skilled would be able to 'break in' to cloud storage to. So the argument for cloud is really only a point of View pushed by companies looking for excuses to reduce local storage *cough* s21/apple/googz *cough* to make more money on cloud storage Services.
    If you can't hold on to your devices, be that losing them or breaking them, you shouldn't be keeping senilsitive information on it. The problem isn't with the means of storage, it is the user. I've had mobile devices for almost 20 years and have never lost or completely broken a single one. It's not Hard.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-21 07:19 AM
    Cloud storage is a lot more dangerous then local, as all the nude leakes of previous years have proven.
    All that proves is that having a password of 1234 is a bad idea.

Having an excellent password along with 2FA is pretty much bullet-proof. Certainly MUCH more resilient a solution than relying on local storage.
    Last edited by conite; 01-25-21 at 12:13 PM.
    01-25-21 07:28 AM
    Cloud storage is a lot more dangerous then local, as all the nude leakes of previous years have proven. If you lose or damage local storage noone else can access your files at least with proper security locks in place on the device. Now if someone clever enough to break through the locks can get their hands on the device then maybe they can get access, but someone that skilled would be able to 'break in' to cloud storage to. So the argument for cloud is really only a point of View pushed by companies looking for excuses to reduce local storage *cough* s21/apple/googz *cough* to make more money on cloud storage Services.
    If you can't hold on to your devices, be that losing them or breaking them, you shouldn't be keeping senilsitive information on it. The problem isn't with the means of storage, it is the user. I've had mobile devices for almost 20 years and have never lost or completely broken a single one. It's not Hard.

Posted via CB10
    I agree.... shouldn't keep anything on your devices that you don't have saved somewhere else. Don't care how long you have gone without losing or damaging a device. All it takes is one time.... and your pushing the odds.

As for the cloud.... it's more about accessibility for the user from different devices and locations. Also a matter of knowing that it's not subject to your home burning down and your losing everything - that's never happened to me, so I don't need to worry about it right.
    01-25-21 08:17 AM
    All that was proven is that having a password of 1234 is a bad idea.

Having an excellent password along with 2FA is pretty much bullet-proof. Certainly MUCH more resilient a solution than relying on local storage.
    https://blog.storagecraft.com/7-infa...rity-breaches/
    Thats Just the first thing to come up in a Quick search, nothing about 1234 passwords in there.
    Want it safe, keep it local. Want it convinient keep it in cloud.

I agree.... shouldn't keep anything on your devices that you don't have saved somewhere else. Don't care how long you have gone without losing or damaging a device. All it takes is one time.... and your pushing the odds.

As for the cloud.... it's more about accessibility for the user from different devices and locations. Also a matter of knowing that it's not subject to your home burning down and your losing everything - that's never happened to me, so I don't need to worry about it right.
    I guess it depends where you live. I know in the states a lot of houses are built from wood so guess fire is always a hazard. Here in europe doesn't really happen that often to éven consider. Flooding on the other hand....
    I get it, cloud is more convinient. I'm Just saying you give up more security compared to local.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-21 11:19 AM
    Want it safe, keep it local. Want it convinient keep it in cloud.

That's simply not true. Local storage is not a robust solution for data integrity.

Hacking is only one attack vector to consider when you are trying to secure your data.

I propose that a modern cloud solution with a properly crafted password with two-factor authentication is every bit as secure (from hackers) as what you have on your local, internet-connected phone or computer. I can give you just as many articles of data getting harvested from those.

And if you're really paranoid, choose an encrypted cloud storage solution - there are lots to choose from.
    Last edited by conite; 01-25-21 at 12:31 PM.
    01-25-21 12:14 PM
    That's simply not true. Local storage is not a robust solution for data integrity.

I propose that a modern cloud solution with a properly crafted password with two-factor authentication is every bit as secure (from hackers) as what you have on your local, internet-connected phone or computer.
    Well you assume local backup needs to be internet connected. Doesn't need to be. Also it isn't subject to your internet speeds.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-21 01:22 PM
    Well you assume local backup needs to be internet connected. Doesn't need to be. Also it isn't subject to your internet speeds.

Posted via CB10
    All of my important documents aren't even on my phone or computer. That way there is nothing to harvest. Having a wayward app (whether intentionally or not) is far more probable than someone hacking my OneDrive account.

That said, uptime and resiliency is just as important as hack prevention.
    01-25-21 01:33 PM
    All of my important documents aren't even on my phone or computer. That way there is nothing to harvest. Having a wayward app (whether intentionally or not) is far more probable than someone hacking my OneDrive account.
    Who's harvesting? Didn't really understand that bit, probably my lack of knowledge. I believe in compartmentalization of data and access to data on phone or desktop. Don't see how some weyward App would get on your phone if you yourself don't download dodgy apps. My documents are on onedrive as well as local. I use cloud as well. Just don't see it being safer then local. Thats all

Posted via CB10
    01-25-21 01:45 PM
    Who's harvesting? Didn't really understand that bit, probably my lack of knowledge. I believe in compartmentalization of data and access to data on phone or desktop. Don't see how some weyward App would get on your phone if you yourself don't download dodgy apps. My documents are on onedrive as well as local. I use cloud as well. Just don't see it being safer then local. Thats all

Posted via CB10
    That's pretty much the whole reason for regular security updates on mobile devices - to avoid granting remote code super-user access to your device. There is a lot of stuff that can happen without any user interaction at all - both on the device, and with the connections they make.
    01-25-21 01:49 PM
    That's pretty much the whole reason for regular security updates on mobile devices - to avoid granting remote code super-user access to your device. There is a lot of stuff that can happen without any user interaction at all - both on the device, and with the connections they make.
    Would that kind of access make local encryption useless and would it give access to Say the onedrive App as well?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-21 02:01 PM
39 12