I have seen many posts about the Blackberry Blade concept. I have seen pictures and other posts about it. But I have also read that RIM is trying to stear away from the QWERTY keyboard. Although Blackberry fans are pretty much demanding to have the phisical keys. I currently have the 9330. Older model yes. But I have been waiting for the BB10 to come out and was trying to get some info on if the Blade concept was actually going to happen. Out of all the concepts floating around the Blade is by far the most fun and interesting. So has anyone heard anything about it?
    09-14-12 12:46 AM
    RIM is not trying to get out of the QWERTY they are trying to stay relevant in the full touch world, they are trying to prove that they can infact make a great touch screen phone, which is why the london is beign released first then the QWERTY second.

the Blade is nto a concept that RIM itself designed its a concept by an outside company just to play around with designs. if RIM desides to purchace this design from the company i would be all over it as would alot of others on this forum and i'm sure even others around the smartphone world
    Superfly_FR and jafobabe like this.
    09-14-12 12:50 AM
    I sure hope it does stick and we get a surprise in 2013. It would be such a standout from the crowd, something that BB needs to kickoff BB10!

if we look at the 'design', not sure if is feasible to manufacture and if is possible to have such concept mechanically robust.
    09-14-12 07:22 AM
    But I have also read that RIM is trying to stear away from the QWERTY keyboard.
    Don't know where you read this, but it's 100% false. There will be two flagship devices, one full touch (first) and 1 qwerty (second) at BB10 launch.
    09-14-12 07:25 AM
    The Blade is an awesome looking concept phone. I do wonder if having the phone curved like that would make it more susceptible to breaking if dropped. Otherwise, if they released a phone that looked like that, I'm sure it would catch people's attention fast.

Personally, I think that rather than having the a full touchscreen and a physical keyboard (Bold-like) model and the flagships, they should have full touchscreen and slider. I slider really is the best of both worlds. I have the 9810 now and I love the bigger screen, but pretty much exclusively use the physical keyboard.
    09-14-12 07:54 AM
    The Blade concept isn't exactly a workable design for a variety of reasons.
    09-15-12 01:20 PM
    The Blade concept isn't exactly a workable design for a variety of reasons.
    Corning Willow Glass is available to enable the curved screen of the BlackBerry Blade. Also, to the other misinformed person, the BlackBerry Blade concept as presented was ana all-touch device but some of us suggested maybe adding a slider QWERTY keyboard along the side edge so when typing the smartphone is in landscape orientation and it would be easily balanced in two hands during keyboard use. The BlackBerry Blade is very workable if and only if Research In Motion had the engineering design skills to produce a form-factor other than a slab.
    09-15-12 01:33 PM
    Corning Willow Glass is available to enable the curved screen of the BlackBerry Blade. Also, to the other misinformed person, the BlackBerry Blade concept as presented was ana all-touch device but some of us suggested maybe adding a slider QWERTY keyboard along the side edge so when typing the smartphone is in landscape orientation and it would be easily balanced in two hands during keyboard use. The BlackBerry Blade is very workable if and only if Research In Motion had the engineering design skills to produce a form-factor other than a slab.
    Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one. Got a pic?
    09-15-12 02:25 PM
    Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one. Got a pic?

"BlackBerry Blade: a BlackBerry 10 phone that's too hot to be true!" by Kevin Michaluk. This is an innovative design if only RIM would adopt it for the first-release BlackBerry 10 smartphone in 2013. I realize the keyboard is the traditional bottom-edge slider but if it was moved to the right or left side-edge the smartphone would balance easier in the user's hands and already be in an orientation many people would already be holding this device (landscape orientation).
    Last edited by BB9700CA; 09-15-12 at 03:29 PM.
    09-15-12 03:25 PM
    Thought so, that's not a workable design. It's all aesthetics with little attention to detail. Any attempt to produce such a phone would end up very far off base, especially when you consider that RIM's not really one for "engineering breakthroughs".
    09-15-12 04:07 PM
    Having a second look at the Blade, the design isn't actually that far off from the predicted BB London. The Blade's corners are more square. It looks a bit like Sony's Xperia Ion (http://www-static.se-mc.com/blogs.di...oup_home-3.png), aside from the thinness and slight curve.
    09-15-12 04:42 PM
    It may not "stick" or be realistic as a design that we will see, but BlackBerries are usually very sexy, and Good Lord, that is one sexy concept!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    09-15-12 04:48 PM
    Any attempt to produce such a phone would end up very far off base, especially when you consider that RIM's not really one for "engineering breakthroughs".
    That is precisely at the root of the decline of Research In Motion. The engineering foundation of the company has been systematically weeded out. If they have any chance of long-term survival the missing engineering breakthroughs must be their focus, not the mess of products models and enterprise software reminiscent of first-year computer science students. There are times I wish I owned enough shares to seize control of the company and rebuild it from the ground up. Instead we have imbeciles throughout the organization, mostly in management positions at every level. Thorsten has outstayed his welcome in my opinion.
    09-15-12 06:36 PM
    It may not "stick" or be realistic as a design that we will see, but BlackBerries are usually very sexy, and Good Lord, that is one sexy concept!!!
    It is exactly what the BlackBerry brand needs to re-energize its reputation and perception in the minds of the media and the consumer. Sometimes taking risks is the only way to survive.
    09-15-12 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD