https://m.khaleejtimes.com/business/...ch-10-etisalat
    Just seen this on a news feed
    cribble2k likes this.
    02-19-20 01:43 PM
    I wonder if that's correct....

I can see them ending BlackBerry Internet Service and that affecting BBOS devices. (Picture is of an Android powered phone that doesn't use BIS).

But this makes it sound like BBM (or BBMe) will not be working either.... and it specifically mentions the few users left after last years shutdown.

Could be interesting to see what happens to BB10 phones.... but either they don't like BlackBerry for some reason, or someone isn't clear on what is getting shutdown.
    02-19-20 02:09 PM
    Thread about it here as well. The picture they use means nothing

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...h-1181699-new/
    02-19-20 02:23 PM
    BBOS/BIS - not BB10 or Android.
    Sime0n_S likes this.
    02-19-20 02:33 PM
    I wonder if that's correct....

I can see them ending BlackBerry Internet Service and that affecting BBOS devices. (Picture is of an Android powered phone that doesn't use BIS).

But this makes it sound like BBM (or BBMe) will not be working either.... and it specifically mentions the few users left after last years shutdown.

Could be interesting to see what happens to BB10 phones.... but either they don't like BlackBerry for some reason, or someone isn't clear on what is getting shutdown.
    I'm from the UAE, and BlackBerry was extremely popular even after the release of BB10.

The message from the carrier Etisalat was in Arabic and started with, "Based on the request from BlackBerry Limited, we are no longer offering BlackBerry Messenger services, Pin to Pin, Email services, and BlackBerry Internet Services after March 10th".
    app_Developer and cribble2k like this.
    02-19-20 02:52 PM
    I'm from the UAE, and BlackBerry was extremely popular even after the release of BB10.

The message from the carrier Etisalat was in Arabic and started with, "Based on the request from BlackBerry Limited, we are no longer offering BlackBerry Messenger services, Pin to Pin, Email services, and BlackBerry Internet Services after March 10th".
    But I wonder if that's only in relation to BBOS devices.... they might have gotten some notification from BlackBerry that included what would be affected and it got lost it translation somehow.
    02-19-20 03:38 PM
    But I wonder if that's only in relation to BBOS devices.... they might have gotten some notification from BlackBerry that included what would be affected and it got lost it translation somehow.
    Etisalat is no longer selling any BlackBerry products, and BB10 or BlackBerry Android aren't relying on any BlackBerry Services. So, I guess the latest update is only related to BBOS services, but what is strange is that why did BlackBerry request to shut down its services!
    02-19-20 03:45 PM
    Etisalat is no longer selling any BlackBerry products, and BB10 or BlackBerry Android aren't relying on any BlackBerry Services. So, I guess the latest update is only related to BBOS services, but what is strange is that why did BlackBerry request to shut down its services!
    The formal closure of licencing seems to have spawned an end to all things mobile.
    02-19-20 03:48 PM
    Implications for BIS globally?
    02-19-20 09:21 PM
    Probably more of a regional thing. Some carriers may have enough subscribers on BIS to keep it going. While others don't and will shut it down.
    02-19-20 10:33 PM
    Come on, we stopped using leaded gasoline back in the 1980's...
    02-19-20 10:35 PM
    Haha... Why do stations decades later still post prices for "unleaded"...??? Does that mean they have a price for "leaded" somewhere? Lol.

Btw, I stopped finger painting in first grade. Fine brushes are SOoo more precise... AND mature...
    Last edited by idssteve; 02-20-20 at 05:11 AM.
    gebco likes this.
    02-19-20 10:39 PM
    Here's a link to some guidance on using BBOS legacy hardware without BIS. Not sure how relevant it might be for UAE ? If at all?? Maybe @Shuswap might opine? If still around??

Fwiw:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ut-bis-996682/
    02-20-20 05:29 AM
    I always thought that was because lead caused brain damage when inhaled....didn't think BIS caused anything near as dangerous, except maybe message privacy and less eavesdropping?
    02-20-20 10:25 AM
    I always thought that was because lead caused brain damage when inhaled....didn't think BIS caused anything near as dangerous, except maybe message privacy and less eavesdropping?
    Depends on the setup... might be that the UAE like some others required in county servers with access. That wold be the only reason I could see BBMe ending along with BIS.

Still think it is only BIS ending and thus BBOS devices and BBM for those devices only. That BB10 and BBM on BB10, and BBMe on Android and iOS will still be up.... regardless of the statement.

If it all goes down... then yeah there never was any privacy in the UAE, unless maybe you were using BES.
    02-20-20 10:46 AM
    Based on what @John Albert said, it sounds to me like they just mean legacy BBOS, NOT BB10 or Android BB.
    02-20-20 01:11 PM
    Based on what @John Albert said, it sounds to me like they just mean legacy BBOS, NOT BB10 or Android BB.
    They can't really stop BB10 or Android BB. They're treated like 'regular' devices and services. Anytime those messages come across, they're poorly worded and only mean BBOS/BIS.
    pkcable likes this.
    02-20-20 02:00 PM
    Here's a link to some guidance on using BBOS legacy hardware without BIS. Not sure how relevant it might be for UAE ? If at all?? Maybe @Shuswap might opine? If still around??

Fwiw:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ut-bis-996682/
    Still around. Still using my Bold. It calls. It texts. It does all the office-suite stuff and syncs via bluetooth. It does less and less over the internet, but that suits my needs and keeps me focused at work.

There's slightly more up to date information at The Bold Explorer

I haven't done much updating of the site of late, but in general, less and less works as old security protocols become deprecated.
    idssteve likes this.
    02-20-20 07:53 PM
    Hey could there be something political/privacy/security about this? Related to this UAE controversy (with bonus Huawei involvement)..?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/1...ati_app_totok/
    02-21-20 08:53 PM
    Does this mean I shouldn't buy the Blackberry Classic? I was about to buy one today.
    02-23-20 02:48 AM
    Does this mean I shouldn't buy the Blackberry Classic? I was about to buy one today.
    If you read further up this thread you will see it applies to the older OS.
    The classic is a BB10 device and will still work depending < on your own use requirements.
    And welcome to CB

Posted via my beautiful priv
    02-23-20 05:59 AM
    BB Androis user (Keyone) - This is just ridiculous by Blackberry once again. I paid for BBMe when they decided to shut BBM and till today remain a paying customer. How could they just not care and let BBMe be turned off like this. Anther thing which i dont understand is, why doesnt the BBMe continue to work on my data of WIFI. I mean at the end of the day its just a chat app like all the others right?

Serves us right for staying loyal during shifting consumer preferences over the past 13-15 years. Should have moved on a long time ago.
    03-10-20 07:37 AM
    BB Androis user (Keyone) - This is just ridiculous by Blackberry once again. I paid for BBMe when they decided to shut BBM and till today remain a paying customer. How could they just not care and let BBMe be turned off like this. Anther thing which i dont understand is, why doesnt the BBMe continue to work on my data of WIFI. I mean at the end of the day its just a chat app like all the others right?

Serves us right for staying loyal during shifting consumer preferences over the past 13-15 years. Should have moved on a long time ago.
    So today BBMe on your Android device stopped working?

My guess is it has more to do with the voice capabilities and not being able to separate that out from the messaging. Expect it has more to do with UAE than BlackBerry.
    03-10-20 10:21 AM

Were you unaware of BB's position in the market and the challenges they've been facing there? Did you not know that after licensing out BBM to Emtek that Emtek failed to make it profitable and shut it down?

BB has been slowly exiting consumer-facing businesses for years, preferring to focus on business customers (and not smartphone-related businesses). If you chose to invest your $5 in BB, you had to be aware that there was some risk in doing so, especially after normal BBM was shut down.

Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware) is ALWAYS the rule of the day.
    03-11-20 03:34 PM

The Keyone users should still be able to use BBM, unless your carrier blocks all BB services. Hard to picture that BlackBerry would choose one country/carrier to close services for, and let the rest of the remaining paying $5 customers have BBM.
    03-11-20 05:09 PM
34 12