06-27-16 10:37 AM
159 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I don't think anyone has "forgotten" responses are based off need and usage. For me and my business it's email plain and simple. Email is work from clients and money for my employees, appraisers and business. Its simply critical and managing it efficient and effectively is paramount (for me). To date there is no other device that handles a massive volume of email on various accounts (@ 1500 emails and growing on average a week) as well as BlackBerry 10 and the HUB. I have tried Blue Mail and others on Android and Outlook on an Apple device and still no where near as good. (The native clients are laughable) For this reason I love the current choice of a BlackBerry 10 option. It's all about needs and what fits for each user.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    I field a similar amount of emails. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. And I've used all 4 of the major platforms. Email has never been an issue. Ever. If my device can receive email, send email in response, and get the job done, there's nothing about any mobile platform that gives me an advantage or disadvantage. Ever. Maybe 8 or 9 years ago. But today? Nope, not really. All platforms are pretty much equal on that measure.

What actually IS a big measure though, is support for alternative measures of correspondence. Shared documents, cloud project corroboration, proprietary network applications (most notable in medical and academic institutions), etc..

BB was at one time king of messaging and email. Unfortunately, today email and messaging are very minor aspects of productivity in a business environment. They're still effective at a very basic level. But platforms other than BB have managed to lock those abilities down as well, and move beyond.

The simple fact of the matter, is that BB's dominance in messaging is yesterday's technology. PKB's aren't even needed anymore. Virtual KB's are just as good and dominate every "ease of composition competitions", and as well find users happy that they don't suffer Thumb Fatigue.
    TgeekB, Jerry A, TGR1 and 2 others like this.
    04-04-16 03:19 PM
    I field a similar amount of emails. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. And I've used all 4 of the major platforms. Email has never been an issue. Ever. (For YOU-) If my device can receive email, send email in response, and get the job done, there's nothing about any mobile platform that gives me an advantage or disadvantage. Ever. (For YOU) Maybe 8 or 9 years ago. But today? Nope, not really. All platforms are pretty much equal on that measure. (Perhaps for "YOU"- I have used the others and they don't compare for MY needs. Re-read my post- )

What actually IS a big measure though, is support for alternative measures of correspondence. Shared documents, cloud project corroboration, proprietary network applications (most notable in medical and academic institutions), etc.. (Again for YOU and YOUR needs. I have zero limitations for my needs. Office 365?- Drop Box? Box? These all work well on my BlackBerry devices)

BB was at one time king of messaging and email. Unfortunately, today email and messaging are very minor aspects of productivity in a business environment. (For YOU and your needs. Paramount for running my business) They're still effective at a very basic level. But platforms other than BB have managed to lock those abilities down as well, and move beyond. (not for MY needs- Android or iOS and the various email apps came no where close)

The simple fact of the matter, is that BB's dominance in messaging is yesterday's technology. PKB's aren't even needed anymore. (For YOU) Virtual KB's are just as good and dominate every "ease of composition competitions", and as well find users happy that they don't suffer Thumb Fatigue.

04-04-16 04:06 PM
    <snip> Misconstrued the previous post.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 04-05-16 at 06:16 AM.
    04-04-16 04:10 PM
    I have seen posts from all kinds of people (contractors, plumbers, engineers, etc.) that have had to switch due to lack of apps that they use in their jobs. Even for me, a researcher, I am missing out on a ton of apps that could add some convenience and aid my productivity.

Posted via CB10
    Researcher apps? Aside from a browser, what are those?

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 04:29 PM
    Nothing is perfect. All you can do is stack odds as needed. We had ZERO hangup failures over several years with our 9900s. Zero hangup failures since returning to 9900 & Classic. More than a few during the year with ZQ10s. One in particular drove the point home for us.

Omut of thousands of calls per year in an office of 26, it's not a nchronic problem but once is enough for us. I can imagine scenarios where things might turn out MUCH more problematic, tho.

The real issue for us was after migrating away from call app. Try calling someone, migrate to excel & edit it during the call. Then hang up. See how comfortable you are with that process.

One simple press kills the call on 9900. From any app. No multiple motions involved. KISS principle helps assure reliability.

Never a guarantee, tho.
    I had totally forgotten about your fear of the forgotten hang up and your love of the tool belt.

I hope that Redlightblinking chimes in...retro CB.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 04-04-16 at 04:49 PM.
    04-04-16 04:31 PM
    It is the best work phone. Just not many apps are compatible or if they are lots of features are missing. Like taking a picture of a cheque to deposit it into your account. Gets tiring and I'm looking to get out of blackberry. Priv will be the last phone.
    04-04-16 04:36 PM
    And exactly what do you mean by that? A suitable substitute? A workaround? That's not what the average user wants.
    I think that's just his signature.
    04-04-16 04:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    http://www.teachthought.com/the-futu...-ipad-android/
    04-04-16 04:44 PM
    I had totally forgotten about your fear of the forgotten hang up and your love of the tool belt.

I hope that Redlightblinking chimes in...retro CB.
    I wouldn't characterize it as "fear". More like appreciation. The issue bit us pretty hard and we arrived at a solution for prevention. That solution was the hard end key of a toolbelt. End of the issue, ever since. (knock on wood, lol)

Like some around here, we laughed it off the first few times with our ZQ10s. We truly thought it was humorously harmless but were still exercising extraordinary diligence. And, out of thousands of calls that year in an office of 26, 3 or 4 events certainly wasn't chronic. Just took once, tho.
    04-04-16 06:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why must I justify my needs of my phone? Trust me, there is stuff I wish I had for academic use (and personal use for that matter). And the apps from my employer.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and Ronindan like this.
    04-04-16 07:06 PM
    Definitely Yay...

I'll go ph before going outlook on laptop... Finnding emails on my Z10 is so much easier ^^

Z10STL100-2/10.3.2.2876
    04-04-16 08:27 PM
    Yay... :-D

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    04-04-16 10:35 PM
    BlackBerry 10 yes.

  
    04-04-16 10:41 PM
    If you rely on multiple email addresses then there is no substitute for the HUB. It's not even close. My employees use iPhone and droids and they were buried in emails. I had no choice but to issue bb10 blackberry classics to all of my employees in the field.

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 and Oshasat like this.
    04-04-16 11:21 PM
    If you rely on multiple email addresses then there is no substitute for the HUB. It's not even close. My employees use iPhone and droids and they were buried in emails. I had no choice but to issue bb10 blackberry classics to all of my employees in the field.

Posted via CB10
    I have multiple emails and I use an android phone (I have a work bb but I mainly use it to access my work voicemail remotely) and I am not buried in emails. Sounds more like your employees are not capable of handling their workload.
    04-05-16 06:59 AM
    IEEE Xplore in browser.
    That's what we do at work on our computers, that's what we do on the phone.
    Science research is still done predominantly on the computer not on the tablet or phone.
    04-05-16 07:54 AM
    IEEE Xplore in browser.
    That's what we do at work on our computers, that's what we do on the phone.
    Science research is still done predominantly on the computer not on the tablet or phone.
    Agreed, but there are some apps that would be nice to have. I'm done with sideloading and workarounds to run apps that did not fully function, lagged, and killed my battery.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-16 08:02 AM
    If it is research, it means it's new. It's not on the internet.
    It's done mostly in my brain. The computer is used for verification and validation.
    What you are talking about is literature search, maybe.
    As I tell my students: if Google can find it or if I know how to do it, it's not research.
    bh7171 and TgeekB like this.
    04-05-16 08:27 AM
    It's done mostly in my brain. The computer is used for verification and validation.
    As I tell my students: if Google can find it or if I know how to do it, it's not research.
    I like that last line!

The one example that really stands out for me is not being able to create and modify personal schedules on the fly at conferences. Everyone else is whipping out their phones while I'm fumbling with the 200 page booklet.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-16 09:13 AM
    For my business, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 does it.
    04-05-16 09:25 AM
    Thank you for a very clear explanation.
    04-05-16 09:39 AM
    I have multiple emails and I use an android phone (I have a work bb but I mainly use it to access my work voicemail remotely) and I am not buried in emails. Sounds more like your employees are not capable of handling their workload.
    Hmm... I've faced that same choice... Reduce workload to accommodate a less productive device? Or find a device that optimizes workforce productivity for the given workload. ??

Not everyone shares the same exact needs or capabilities. One single device configuration is NOT optimal for ALL. Real world sometimes trumps best theory. If device "B" PROVES more productive in real world service than device "A", which one do you choose? My business is NOT telephones. I'm not in the business to reconfigure our workforce, nor our workload, to accommodate a stupid device. Instead, we'll find the device that best accommodates OUR workforce and workload. That may, or may not, be BB, Apple, Samsung, paper & pencil, semaphore flags, smoke signals, etc, etc. Lol. MY job is to keep the client-management-workforce triad harmoniously HAPPY. Some devices have proven themselves to clearly support that harmony better than others. For OUR specific scenario. Everyone else's needs are probably different. I, for one, have better things to do than to worry about "everyone else". That's THEIR job. Lol.
    kellyjdrummer likes this.
    04-05-16 11:09 AM
    Is all work the same?
    All I will say is that whether it was OS7 or BB10, any BlackBerry is a great communication device. That is what we needed at work. Upper management got "scared" when all of the "BlackBerry is dead" talk happened. Some knee jerk reaction and the company switched to the iPhone. While the iPhone is a great multimedia device, IMHO, it lacks as a business device. MANY users at work wish that they had the BB's back...and we had 9900's!
    04-05-16 04:58 PM
    Yay up until i want to take some time off and use facebook :P
    04-05-16 06:28 PM
    All I will say is that whether it was OS7 or BB10, any BlackBerry is a great communication device. That is what we needed at work. Upper management got "scared" when all of the "BlackBerry is dead" talk happened. Some knee jerk reaction and the company switched to the iPhone. While the iPhone is a great multimedia device, IMHO, it lacks as a business device. MANY users at work wish that they had the BB's back...and we had 9900's!
    At your "work", which is my point. Let's be realistic here, if you mostly need email, communication, blackberry is the way to go. But there are many, many more types of business and many of them need more than just communication.

It's difficult to answer generalized questions like this because there are too many variables, if we're being honest.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    04-05-16 06:33 PM
159 ... 23456 ...