Depends on what kind of work you do. I know for me, as long as the phone can call, text, email and take pictures then it'll be fine for my job, doesn't necessarily need to be a BlackBerry. I just happen to use one cause I like bb10
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    04-03-16 09:44 AM
    As long as you use the iPad only on that internal secure network and not at home, the files are likely secure.

I agree that is inexcusable for BlackBerry that they did not develop the medical apps or paid the developer to do so.

They are supposedly chasing business, not consumers. Before writing apps for Android, they should have allocated internal software resources to write apps for business.
    I'm pretty sure there are some serious HIPPA regulations that prevent most doctors from transporting these files in any realistic manner to or from one's home, physical or digital. VPN, maybe.
    TgeekB and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    04-03-16 09:50 AM
    But that does not answer my question: do you keep patient files on your phone and do you have third party apps that access your files?
    If they do, even if the files are encrypted, they can be sftp-ed and de-encrypted automatically. They are not safe.
    Of course we don't keep patient files on our phones.
    04-03-16 10:20 AM
    Microsoft ) 365 and BB meet those Hippa requirements. Google and other email services do not.
    04-03-16 10:22 AM
    Loved my bb10 phones but missing work apps kind of forced a change to Priv. Did not like it at first but it has grown on me and I find it acceptable now. Still miss some features of BB10 though

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-03-16 11:00 AM
    Microsoft ) 365 and BB meet those Hippa requirements. Google and other email services do not.

Free Gmail (and Google Apps for work) is not compliant. But the paid version of Gmail (Google Apps for work) is compliant Google has been offering this since lot of small to medium sized business that use Google Apps for work has started to compete in more heavily regulated industries.
    04-03-16 11:03 AM
    Used to be.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 11:14 AM
    I work in the auto industry where the engineering, vendors and support folks all use devices to get their email and messages and where I once seen nothing but Blackberry devices, I now see Android and iPhones and they don't miss a beat.

As far as the security issue goes, they are using Good and other security related software and secured servers for their email and communications and every time I would mention Blackberry, the response is always the same.

They are out of business and nobody uses those anymore!!!! This I blame on those folks up there in the fancy corporate offices in Waterloo who have failed to listen to what their customers asked for and Apple and Google did and are making billions doing it. End of the story.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-03-16 12:10 PM
    A lot of interesting reading here. I think what it boils down to is this, If work consists of phone calls, e mail, and texting then Blackberry will suffice. The truth is, Any phone can do those three things but again reality has to count for something. Blackberry is the master of email. iOS is slowly catching up and Android is just to open because of its connection to Google. It took me a few weeks to get the iPhone to work the way i was comfortable. You cant call a device a productivity helper if everything is a side load or a workaround and sadly, That is what Blackberry has become. People stick to it not because it is better but because they so want it to be what it used to be. Well, that ship has sailed. My dead Z10 sits on a shelf at eye level. It's a brick much like the Playbook was. I wish it worked but the truth is, by this time I would have had to move on anyway. No real Chase app, No Card reader. NO CARD READER? how is this a business phone? With small businesses being the driving force of an economy how in gods name can your business device not accept Credit Cards?
    TGR1 likes this.
    04-03-16 01:48 PM
    For emails and spreadsheet/document processing yes. For all other specialized applications no.
    04-03-16 02:04 PM
    I won't presume to understand medical needs but glass touch call "end" key poses potential privacy issues that have yet to be adequately discussed, IMO.

We laughed off several disconnect failures over about a year with our Zs & Qs before this nearly cost us a dear client after he continued listening to his order being processed along with his competitor's. A coworker, editing the order on spreadsheet during & after the call, failed to adequately disconnect her Q10. The client listened long enough to interpret intimate details of his competitor's order, also a client of ours, for a competitive bid they were both preparing. This client called me and explained what happened, disqualified himself from the bid and nearly fired us. His justifiable concern was that his competitor might have just as easily overheard similar conversations. Fortunately for his competitor, this client is a man of exceptional ethics. We won his trust again and, to date, he has since called me and coworkers on our hard "end"key 9900s.

Similar story of my brother's divorce attorney failing to get disconnected after calling the X & her attorney. Again, integrity ruled and the other attorney called back and the whole thing was pretty amicable but... COULD have turned out not so good. Brother's attorney was using iPhone, I believe.

Food for thought, anyway.

I trust the physical "end" key on 9900 means "END the call" from any app, no matter what. Classic's logic is not so solid but still predictable. I, personally, don't consider a device lacking physical "end" to be a phone. The device might provide telephone capabilities but only physical "end" indicates telephone functions are priority, IMO.
    04-03-16 02:08 PM
    Definately not in my line of work.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 02:27 PM
    Of course we don't keep patient files on our phones.
    Exactly. It is a very mature method for working on data. I don't understand why every one is having a problem with it.

And I don't see much of a difference between a hard key and software key for hanging up.

Posted via CB10
    cribble2k likes this.
    04-03-16 02:54 PM
    BlackBerry10 is the best
    BBOS 7 comes second
    Android is... Android, what can I say?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 03:04 PM
    Yay, yay and yay!
    04-03-16 03:05 PM
    I won't presume to understand medical needs but glass touch call "end" key poses potential privacy issues that have yet to be adequately discussed, IMO.

We laughed off several disconnect failures over about a year with our Zs & Qs before this nearly cost us a dear client after he continued listening to his order being processed along with his competitor's. A coworker, editing the order on spreadsheet during & after the call, failed to adequately disconnect her Q10. The client listened long enough to interpret intimate details of his competitor's order, also a client of ours, for a competitive bid they were both preparing. This client called me and explained what happened, disqualified himself from the bid and nearly fired us. His justifiable concern was that his competitor might have just as easily overheard similar conversations. Fortunately for his competitor, this client is a man of exceptional ethics. We won his trust again and, to date, he has since called me and coworkers on our hard "end"key 9900s.

Similar story of my brother's divorce attorney failing to get disconnected after calling the X & her attorney. Again, integrity ruled and the other attorney called back and the whole thing was pretty amicable but... COULD have turned out not so good. Brother's attorney was using iPhone, I believe.

Food for thought, anyway.

I trust the physical "end" key on 9900 means "END the call" from any app, no matter what. Classic's logic is not so solid but still predictable. I, personally, don't consider a device lacking physical "end" to be a phone. The device might provide telephone capabilities but only physical "end" indicates telephone functions are priority, IMO.

A badly made app will malfunction regardless if it on physical or touch screen keyboard. Accidental dialling happens on phones that have physical keyboard and on phones touch with screen keyboard. And same can happen on desk phone as well.
    TgeekB and TGR1 like this.
    04-03-16 03:28 PM
    Nothing is perfect. All you can do is stack odds as needed. We had ZERO hangup failures over several years with our 9900s. Zero hangup failures since returning to 9900 & Classic. More than a few during the year with ZQ10s. One in particular drove the point home for us.

Out of thousands of calls per year in an office of 26, it's not a chronic problem but once is enough for us. I can imagine scenarios where things might turn out MUCH more problematic, tho.

The real issue for us was after migrating away from call app. Try calling someone, migrate to excel & edit it during the call. Then hang up. See how comfortable you are with that process.

One simple press kills the call on 9900. From any app. No multiple motions involved. KISS principle helps assure reliability.

Never a guarantee, tho.
    TgeekB and Bbnivende like this.
    04-03-16 03:50 PM
    Nothing is perfect. All you can do is stack odds as needed. We had ZERO hangup failures over several years with our 9900s. Zero hangup failures since returning to 9900 & Classic. More than a few during the year with ZQ10s. One in particular drove the point home for us.

Out of thousands of calls per year in an office of 26, it's not a chronic problem but once is enough for us. I can imagine scenarios where things might turn out MUCH more problematic, tho.

The real issue for us was after migrating away from call app. Try calling someone, migrate to excel & edit it during the call. Then hang up. See how comfortable you are with that process.

One simple press kills the call on 9900. From any app. No multiple motions involved. KISS principle helps assure reliability.

Never a guarantee, tho.
    All phones/products have issues. You have found what works best for you. Nothing wrong with that.
    idssteve likes this.
    04-03-16 03:58 PM

Never a guarantee, tho.
    I have edited spreadsheets while on a call using my smartphone - did not have any issues. Maybe your colleagues should stop editing important spreadsheets on their smartphones and use their laptop or desktop instead.
    04-03-16 04:00 PM
    No need. Problem solved with 9900/Classic.
    04-03-16 04:09 PM
    I have edited spreadsheets while on a call using my smartphone - did not have any issues. Maybe your colleagues should stop editing important spreadsheets on their smartphones and use their laptop or desktop instead.
    I can't imagine working on a spreadsheet on a tiny BB screen but to each their own.
    04-03-16 04:14 PM
    I can't imagine working on a spreadsheet on a tiny BB screen but to each their own.

I couldn't imagine spreadsheets on a non- trackpad glass device myself. I, myself, PREFER editing readymade spreadsheets on trackpad 9900 over desktop. Quick, low effort, precise. For editing. CAD stations generate original, tho
    04-03-16 04:20 PM
    I couldn't imagine spreadsheets on a non- trackpad glass device myself. I, myself, PREFER editing readymade spreadsheets on trackpad 9900 over desktop. Quick, low effort, precise. For editing. CAD stations generate original, tho
    But you can only fit a tiny part of it on the screen, right? That's what I couldn't handle. But again, we're all different.
    04-03-16 04:23 PM
    Premise too simple. Depends. If you need vertical specific apps then certainly not. I'd say.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    TGR1 likes this.
    04-03-16 04:25 PM
    But you can only fit a tiny part of it on the screen, right? That's what I couldn't handle. But again, we're all different.
    Yep, 9900 is definitely not a viewer. Just an editor. Data entry, one cell at a time, doesn't require, nor desire, large screens. Viewing is done on PassPort, Z30 or back at CAD stations for generating database.

Classic thru Miracast is handy to read spreadsheet on large TV. Trackpad makes navigation pretty effortless.
    04-03-16 04:58 PM
159 1234 ...