Yay or Nay?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 02:22 PM
    Is all work the same?
    04-02-16 02:31 PM
    BBOS devices were in their time and BB10 is/was although the loss of an official Facebook app and pending loss of WhatsApp in eight months takes away from that slightly. BlackBerry Android through? No way.
    04-02-16 02:33 PM
    This will vary depending on how "app dependent" your workplace is, but I say yes for the most part.
    04-02-16 02:48 PM
    Is all work the same?
    Exactly......
    04-02-16 03:05 PM
    Yes for BBOS and BB10

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 03:11 PM
    Might depend on the "work" but 9900 is THE master of spreadsheet editing. Classic next. they're both BlackBerrys so... Yes.

9900 and Classic are also THE masters of single handed performance, IMO. No better system for coordinating two dozen coworkers thru 9900 in left hand while simultaneously coordinating plant personnel thru Classic in right hand, during a noisy plant startup. I call that "work" and NOthing can replace my two BlackBerrys for that so... Yes, again.
    04-02-16 03:51 PM
    Depends on the person doing the work.
    04-02-16 04:01 PM
    Yes, depends on the work. For example, Many doctors have dropped BlackBerry due to the lack of apps they need and incompatibility with software they use at work.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 04:04 PM
    Yes, depends on the work. For example, Many doctors have dropped BlackBerry due to the lack of apps they need and incompatibility with software they use at work.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. In the medical field it's a big no way. In others I could see it. It depends on the work you do, there are too many choices.
    04-02-16 04:09 PM
    Agreed. In the medical field it's a big no way. In others I could see it. It depends on the work you do, there are too many choices.
    I have seen posts from all kinds of people (contractors, plumbers, engineers, etc.) that have had to switch due to lack of apps that they use in their jobs. Even for me, a researcher, I am missing out on a ton of apps that could add some convenience and aid my productivity.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, Lacker20 and TGR1 like this.
    04-02-16 04:19 PM
    Absolutely there excellent for work purposes but without regular support and regular updates there going down fast.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, xKingHopy and Jrox74 like this.
    04-02-16 04:21 PM
    I have seen posts from all kinds of people (contractors, plumbers, engineers, etc.) that have had to switch due to lack of apps that they use in their jobs. Even for me, a researcher, I am missing out on a ton of apps that could add some convenience and aid my productivity.

Posted via CB10
    It's too bad. I'm sure someone will comment that they don't need apps and it's all about productivity but when it comes down to it, apps are powerful tools. If Blackberry had somehow not fallen off their horse and gotten into the app game in a timely manner, I'm sure they wouldn't be in the predicament that they find themselves in.
    skinnymike1 and Jrox74 like this.
    04-02-16 04:23 PM
    It's too bad. I'm sure someone will comment that they don't need apps and it's all about productivity but when it comes down to it, apps are powerful tools. If Blackberry had somehow not fallen off their horse and gotten into the app game in a timely manner, I'm sure they wouldn't be in the predicament that they find themselves in.
    You are exactly right. Happens every time. "Why does a doctor need an app?". Blah blah blah. It is a shame.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 04:26 PM
    Ahh, the heart of the matter.

Unfortunately, whether or not we will admit it, BlackBerry has had difficulty with keeping up with their stated audience. It took forever for an AnyConnect app (I know Cisco makes it, but you would think that BBRY would have made that happen by hook or by crook for BB10 launch). There never was a credit card reader -- which forced our users to carry a different device to take payments. Every time my phone reboots it deletes saved enterprise WiFi credentials.

I know that BlackBerry launched BB10 with two strikes against it because it was at least three years too late, but they never quite embraced the idea that the modern smartphone user needs more than just messaging.
    TgeekB, JeepBB, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    04-02-16 05:59 PM
    Yes indeed BlackBerry is the best work phone of all time . BlackBerry OS10 is the best OS I have ever seen . But all good things come to end one day .

Blackberry Priv on Etisalat 4G Network
    04-03-16 04:55 AM
    True

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 05:47 AM
    You are exactly right. Happens every time. "Why does a doctor need an app?". Blah blah blah. It is a shame.

Posted via CB10
    Hope you keep no patient files on your non-blackberry phone and have no 3rd. party apps with file access.
    Aren't you worried of being sued by a patient for negligence or breach of privacy?
    In education, we are obliged to keep all student records, marks, and information confidential and encrypted.
    04-03-16 07:43 AM
    For my work (architecture) BlackBerry has been more useful than IOS. Although IOS had a wider set of apps, not many could really replace the dedicated tools like a thermal camera, a laser meter or a wide angle camera. BlackBerry also was better at messaging and document editing than IOS.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 08:19 AM
    Hope you keep no patient files on your non-blackberry phone and have no 3rd. party apps with file access.
    Aren't you worried of being sued by a patient for negligence or breach of privacy?
    In education, we are obliged to keep all student records, marks, and information confidential and encrypted.
    First, the majority of apps we are speaking about are for looking up medical or drug information such as Micromedex or the John's Hopkins Antibiotic guide.
    Second, there are apps specifically made with proper encryption for sending patient information. It's not done with plain texting.
    Many hospitals have patient portals where patients can look up their lab results, etc. I think Blackberry missed a large opportunity here.
    04-03-16 08:39 AM
    I am not a doctor but work at a medical center. And my wife is one. It's not about loading patient files on your phone. It's access through software portals that don't exist for BlackBerry. Most medical centers use software for patient management like from Epic. Or an app with the latest drug interactions. Type into Google top apps for a given specialty, and you will see what I am talking about. And it's not just phones. Residents are issued iPads in some departments and frequently work on patient files through software not available for BlackBerry. It's all done on secure internal networks.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 08:42 AM
    Furthermore, BlackBerry really lost out since they used to dominate the medical field. I think they thought the Passport would be attractive to doctors. I remember the first ads for it. Had doctors looking at x-rays on it. But without the apps and integration into existing network software, it was a lost cause.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 09:00 AM
    It has been for me, but unfortunately it is also obvious to me that that will no longer be the case in the not-too-distant future as my Passport goes though the painful process of becoming my next PlayBook.
    04-03-16 09:10 AM
    First, the majority of apps we are speaking about are for looking up medical or drug information such as Micromedex or the John's Hopkins Antibiotic guide.
    Second, there are apps specifically made with proper encryption for sending patient information. It's not done with plain texting.
    Many hospitals have patient portals where patients can look up their lab results, etc. I think Blackberry missed a large opportunity here.
    But that does not answer my question: do you keep patient files on your phone and do you have third party apps that access your files?
    If they do, even if the files are encrypted, they can be sftp-ed and de-encrypted automatically. They are not safe.
    04-03-16 09:35 AM
    I am not a doctor but work at a medical center. And my wife is one. It's not about loading patient files on your phone. It's access through software portals that don't exist for BlackBerry. Most medical centers use software for patient management like from Epic. Or an app with the latest drug interactions. Type into Google top apps for a given specialty, and you will see what I am talking about. And it's not just phones. Residents are issued iPads in some departments and frequently work on patient files through software not available for BlackBerry. It's all done on secure internal networks.

Posted via CB10
    As long as you use the iPad only on that internal secure network and not at home, the files are likely secure.

I agree that is inexcusable for BlackBerry that they did not develop the medical apps or paid the developer to do so.

They are supposedly chasing business, not consumers. Before writing apps for Android, they should have allocated internal software resources to write apps for business.
    04-03-16 09:38 AM
159 123 ...