Do you think Blackberry is still able to manufacture new phones or it is becoming a software/licensing company? What do you think? Is the Q10 last of the "decent" QWERTY phones in the market?

What do you think is going to happen now for Blackberry? My friends are saying they're definitely going under. What is left of RIMs future? Although they have intangible assets, e.g copyrights, patents, every quarter is at a lost, are they going to dissolve the company?
    Last edited by monkeysuka; 10-29-13 at 01:00 AM.
    10-28-13 11:17 PM
    I think the next quarter of sales will tell for sure, but that's the way it's looking right now.

Posted via CB10
    monkeysuka likes this.
    10-28-13 11:18 PM
    I think the idea is to become reputable through software and then try again in hardware. Honestly at one point after releasing so many software services I thought blackberry might even let bb10 go open sourced
    monkeysuka likes this.
    10-28-13 11:20 PM
    1. Just because the hardware business isn't working out doesn't make you a succesful software company.
    2. Getting out of the hardware business means laying off hardware people and getting rid of a lot of hardware-making infrastructure. You can't get back into it just to give it a try later on.
    10-28-13 11:34 PM
    Or they take the Chance on something like phoneblocks for Hardware and keep up the good OS works.
    10-29-13 12:13 AM
    1. Just because the hardware business isn't working out doesn't make you a succesful software company.
    2. Getting out of the hardware business means laying off hardware people and getting rid of a lot of hardware-making infrastructure. You can't get back into it just to give it a try later on.
    Why not. Tech companies evolve all the time. Don't tell me it's the "that's not how we used to do it" mantra.

Posted via CB10
    Dude_9 likes this.
    10-29-13 12:28 AM
    I think the next quarter of sales will tell for sure, but that's the way it's looking right now.

Posted via CB10
    Next quarter is the one.
    10-29-13 12:33 AM
    I agree with #3
    Dude_9 and ray689 like this.
    10-29-13 01:08 AM
    I think it could be a software (mobile device management, BBM) company, with a great qwerty device and maybe a touchscreen device every year. They would be entirely enterprise-focused (aka don't-expect-any-new-fun-apps-to-come) but would be made available on Shop BlackBerry.

There would be no carrier support, there would be no carrier marketing. It would be kind of like buying something from Cisco, where yes, you can absolutely buy their stuff on their website, but don't hold your breath to see marketing or commercials for any hardware they sell. The people that buy stuff directly from Cisco are people with very specific needs and know what exactly what they want. Have you been to their website? It's boring as he11 but they accept payment and you get your router, and that's what matters.

If this much smaller BlackBerry that targets enterprise and government is the best way to survive, and I can still buy devices from them, I'll be a happy guy.
    monkeysuka likes this.
    10-29-13 01:23 AM
    You have to be a pretty big software company to dabble in hardware. Look how long it took Microsoft to get into making its own hardware. Facebook kind of tried and failed. Google still only dabbles in it outside of their Motorola acquisition. What you are describing is basically what Blackberry is trying to do right now and it's not working. With the BYOD trend, companies aren't going to be buying a lot of smartphones that their employees don't want to use as their daily drivers, especially at the premium price you have to charge when you don't have the economies of scale of the consumer smartphone companies.
    10-29-13 11:30 PM
    Hope not ...
    10-30-13 02:03 AM
    Blackberry don't need to make handsets. They could license out to a hardware manufacturer like Sony or HTC. They could also contract the manufacture out like Apple do with Qanta.
    10-30-13 03:26 AM
    Why not. Tech companies evolve all the time. Don't tell me it's the "that's not how we used to do it" mantra.

Posted via CB10
    Hardware companies almost never evolve into successful software companies. It's been historically tried and failed many times.

While the quality of UI and the features of Blackberry software products are debatable (though lauded by its fan community), measuring the volume and severity of bugs in Blackberry products like BBMx and BB10 compared to competing products is a more objective, rough indicator of how "talented" Blackberry is in terms of software relative to its peers.

You have to be a pretty big software company to dabble in hardware. Look how long it took Microsoft to get into making its own hardware.
    Generally speaking, I think most software companies have a reasonable chance of transitioning into hardware companies (as good as any startup) but not the other way around.

Software requires a much more sophisticated development process than hardware. Hardware development is not nearly as sophisticated as it appears. This is because almost every hardware company (except maybe Apple) merely pieces together hardware components (CPU chipset, displays) designed by numerous other hardware companies.

It is not entirely true that companies like Microsoft or Google do not have the capability to dabble into hardware so much that they don't have the interest. For a long time, Microsoft was significantly larger than Apple merely focusing on software and I believe its margins are still higher than Apple's.

Before Apple, the hardware+software model was unproven vs. simply focusing on software which was both a much more stable and lucrative field than hardware. Hardware is low margin and perceived as a commodity. Look at Blackberry. It was the most major smartphone maker not long ago and look where it is now. Hardware is a super competitive field where you are always competing against developing nations.

With that said, Google is always looking for innovation and interested in developing hardware products such as Google Glass or the driverless vehicle as opposed to trying to establishing itself in an already mature hardware market. The same is actually true for Apple considering that the iPhone and iPad were trendsetting products that opened up a new market rather than attempting to win in an already established hardware market.

That is how the culture in Google and Apple differ from Blackberry and why the former two are much more successful than the latter. It's interesting how differently these companies will tackle a problem. If Apple is struggling in its primary product market (ex. computers), it will go "Let's sell flying toaster ovens!" Blackberry sees the same problem as will go, "Let's win back smartphones!"
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 10-30-13 at 04:06 AM.
    10-30-13 03:31 AM
    Or they take the Chance on something like phoneblocks for Hardware and keep up the good OS works.
    I had the same idea, phoneblok seemed like something BlackBerry could use to be perceived to become relevant again in the hardware space.

Sadly that's off the table now. Motorola and Google have joined with phoneblok.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 06:17 AM
    Hardware companies almost never evolve into successful software companies. It's been historically tried and failed many times.

While the quality of UI and the features of Blackberry software products are debatable (though lauded by its fan community), measuring the volume and severity of bugs in Blackberry products like BBMx and BB10 compared to competing products is a more objective, rough indicator of how "talented" Blackberry is in terms of software relative to its peers.
    IMO it's all about the people and having the right ones to do the job. Being scared to venture into unknown territory because of past history (of companies unrelated) is nonsense if you ask me.

As for their current software people, quality comes with time and # of iterations. Obviously a mature OS will be relatively bug free. But like we've seen, even the most hardened software companies (which I will not name here)release versions with bugs. You can have the most talented people onboard and there will still be things missed.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 05:49 PM