The BlackBerry mobile operating system has for the first time overtaken its rivals at Apple in terms of web usage......

http://www.cbc.ca/m/rich/technology/story/2010/12/01/blackberry-apple-mobile-web-usage.html

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-10 07:24 PM
    That's a little misleading. Part of it is due to the fact some apps are merely web launchers to mobile sites. Whereas, Apple's apps are actual apps providing a personal environment for a given web space, like Fox News, for example.
    12-04-10 08:30 PM
    It is no more misleading than articles that have claimed superior market share for apple based on internet use though and regardless of other conclusions it does seem to indicate that the webkit browser has helped blackberry somewhat.
    12-05-10 10:37 AM
    The BlackBerry mobile operating system has for the first time overtaken its rivals at Apple in terms of web usage......

http://www.cbc.ca/m/rich/technology/story/2010/12/01/blackberry-apple-mobile-web-usage.html

This is actually very impressive given the compression RIM uses. A typical site is rendered on the iPhone browser at 120% of the bandwidth needed for the site whereas, according to the Crackberry Team, BlackBerry does it at 40%. That's 1/3 of the bandwidth used when browsing on a BB. Applaunchers or no...I see this as a big deal.

12-05-10 11:02 AM
    A typical site is rendered on the iPhone browser at 120% of the bandwidth needed for the site whereas, according to the Crackberry Team, BlackBerry does it at 40%..
    Really? I knew it was better at compression but not THAT much better. If they can manage that with the BB6 and PB browser too, that's pretty amazing. The PB has a very content rich browser that seems to be more comparable to the iphone, etc.
    12-05-10 11:20 AM
    that's not a little misleading. it's bordering on bogus. which is why it's not been widely reported by the media. the study that is widely reported by the media has IOS trouncing BB os. And that only makes sense from everything we have been hearing doesn't it. the lesson: people will believe anything if it "fits" their "world view".

I can't post links but you can find articles that pretty much prove this:

iOS and Android make up over 80 percent of mobile web browsing
    12-05-10 12:20 PM
    lol. I don't think the number is that high.
    12-05-10 12:39 PM
    Boston, USA and Dublin, Ireland; Wednesday 1st December, 2010: BlackBerry OS overtook Apple's iOS for the first time in the US in November in terms of mobile internet usage according to web analytics company, StatCounter. The company's research arm, StatCounter Global Stats finds that for the first time in the US BlackBerry OS at 34.3% overtook Apple's iOS which recorded 33% in November.

Google's Android is rapidly gaining and has almost tripled internet market share from 8.2% last November to 23.8% this year. Apple's iOS has fallen from 51.9% to 33% over the same period.
    So Apple fell almost 20% in a year that saw massive iOS sales in the form of the iPad and continued strong sales of the iPhone? That right there should tell you something is terrible flawed with the metrics used.
    12-05-10 12:41 PM
    This is like calling a horse race, from the first turn.
    12-05-10 12:41 PM
    A lot of that happens here.
    12-05-10 01:25 PM
    That's a little misleading. Part of it is due to the fact some apps are merely web launchers to mobile sites. Whereas, Apple's apps are actual apps providing a personal environment for a given web space, like Fox News, for example.
    This is a very important point. With the number of apps out there using Safari has probably gone down replaced by using dedicated apps.

This is actually very impressive given the compression RIM uses. A typical site is rendered on the iPhone browser at 120% of the bandwidth needed for the site whereas, according to the Crackberry Team, BlackBerry does it at 40%. That's 1/3 of the bandwidth used when browsing on a BB. Applaunchers or no...I see this as a big deal.

Who said it had anything to do with bandwidth? To me it sounds like counting hits to the webpages, and nothing to do with how much browsing data was used.
    12-05-10 01:45 PM
    My question is:

WTF cares?!

Have we really gotten to a point that we have to use "web usage" results as ammo to either defend or attack a cellphone platform? Lol..makes me wonder what i'll be reading about next for comparisons..

Maybe they should do a poll that correlates ***** size and phone choice. THEN we would see some threads worth reading!
    12-05-10 02:21 PM
    So Apple fell almost 20% in a year that saw massive iOS sales in the form of the iPad and continued strong sales of the iPhone? That right there should tell you something is terrible flawed with the metrics used.
    exactly. common sense tells you that this study is nothing but "balderdash"
    12-05-10 02:21 PM
    Nothing wrong. It's the same argument made about RIM and market share.

Smart phones is a rapidly growing market. It is entirely conceivable to both grow sales and lose market share.
    12-06-10 06:46 AM

Smart phones is a rapidly growing market. It is entirely conceivable to both grow sales and lose market share.
    The article is about web usage...not sales or market share.
    12-06-10 08:50 AM
    I read it as hits only. I don't think it has anything at all to do with market share - I just thought it an interesting bit of trivia.

12-06-10 06:41 PM
    that's not a little misleading. it's bordering on bogus. which is why it's not been widely reported by the media. the study that is widely reported by the media has IOS trouncing BB os. And that only makes sense from everything we have been hearing doesn't it. the lesson: people will believe anything if it "fits" their "world view".

I can't post links but you can find articles that pretty much prove this:

What this guy said.
    12-06-10 07:04 PM

Actually it's not. In this "growing" market, Android gained considerably while Apple was able to MAINTAIN its %. RIM did neither.
    12-06-10 07:08 PM
    Actually it's not. In this "growing" market, Android gained considerably while Apple was able to MAINTAIN its %. RIM did neither.
    Android is not a company. You are comparing apples to oranges.
    12-06-10 07:15 PM
    Android is not a company. You are comparing apples to oranges.
    bb os is a "platform". ios is a "platform". android is a "platform". that's the right way to look at it. you can be sure that's how investors look at it.
    12-06-10 07:17 PM
    bb os is a "platform". ios is a "platform". android is a "platform". that's the right way to look at it. you can be sure that's how investors look at it.
    Can you invest in "Android" the platform, or "IOS" the platform?

You can invest in RIMM, GOOGLE or Apple. Would you invest in google because of Android? I wouldn't.
    12-06-10 07:20 PM
    Can you invest in "Android" the platform, or "IOS" the platform?

You can invest in RIMM, GOOGLE or Apple. Would you invest in google because of Android? I wouldn't.
    For some reason only RIM fanboys are dividing Android into individual manufacturers in order to get any last edge they can come up with. Seriously - you guys are trying too hard. Let it be.
    12-06-10 08:00 PM
    For some reason only RIM fanboys are dividing Android into individual manufacturers in order to get any last edge they can come up with. Seriously - you guys are trying too hard. Let it be.
    The Apple and Android fanboys are confusing the discussions as always.

You cannot buy an Android operating system. You can buy a MOTO with the droid operating system. Unlike Windows, you can buy MS Windows directly from Microsoft or your local retailer.

So while Google has adopted the Microsoft business model, it's not android profits we are discussing, it's Motorola profits from it's droid line of phones. It's Motorola units shipped, etc.

Unlike RIM and Apple who have tied their OS directly to their hardware.

Metrics are metrics and some of these innane arguments from the droid and iphone fans, marketshare, %R&D, one vs many models are laughable especially while RIM has shown some good numbers.

You say "let it be" and then you respond with the same tired arguments.

Pot/kettle thing?
    12-06-10 09:00 PM
    The Apple and Android fanboys are confusing the discussions as always.

You cannot buy an Android operating system. You can buy a MOTO with the droid operating system. Unlike Windows, you can buy MS Windows directly from Microsoft or your local retailer.

So while Google has adopted the Microsoft business model, it's not android profits we are discussing, it's Motorola profits from it's droid line of phones. It's Motorola units shipped, etc.

Unlike RIM and Apple who have tied their OS directly to their hardware.

Metrics are metrics and some of these innane arguments from the droid and iphone fans, marketshare, %R&D, one vs many models are laughable especially while RIM has shown some good numbers.

You say "let it be" and then you respond with the same tired arguments.

Pot/kettle thing?
    And yet were talking about website metrics which are based on PLATFORM hits to websites, NOT anything else nor profits. An Android phone hit on a website is an Android phone, an iphone is an iphone, and BB is a BB. Period.

Same tired one horse arguments from the BB fanboys, the only one they have left to use and try to on every topic now.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-06-10 at 09:27 PM.
    12-06-10 09:17 PM
    And yet were talking about website metrics which are based on PLATFORM hits to websites, NOT anything else nor profits. An Android phone hit on a website is an Android phone, an iphone is an iphone, and BB is a BB. Period.

Same tired one horse arguments from the BB fanboys, the only one they have left to use and try to on every topic now.
    Pot kettle thing?

12-06-10 09:48 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD