Thanks to my attendance of the BlackBerry DevCon in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, I'm increasingly interested in what the company will come up with next in terms of gaming.

Of course, as the only announced and available BBX device, much of the current talk concerns the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, which has just received its native SDK.

However, news from multiple sources suggests it won't be long before the first generation of BlackBerry smartphones running the OS are available to consumers.

The early phone as broken last week by n4bb, these will be pure touchscreen devices.

We can't confirm details such as the rumoured Colt name (seems a little weak), although the 4-inch screen, dual-core processor, all-swipe controls etc all make sense.

However, we do know that several game developers already have devices in-house for porting and testing purposes, which suggests the oft-mooted mid-2012 release date - potentially as much as eight months away - is way too pessimistic.

Much more likely, from what we're hearing, is a calendar Q1 window, including games - lots of games.

BlackBerry's nextgen 'Colt' BBX smartphones already in the hands of game developers, news, BlackBerry news, PocketGamer.biz
    11-01-11 07:33 PM
    If this is true, then RIM is chasing the rabbit.

Why would RIM spend resources to put gaming on a device that will largely go to corporate clients ? Are we saying that RIM is building a super Gameboy device to compete with the iPhone on entertainment capabilities. Tell me that's not so ! RIM will loose and the much anticipated BBX phones, will be the laughing stock of the market and surely put them into bankruptcy.

I found this aspect troubling at DEVON, where they kept trotting out game developers as proof of the progress on BBX (Playbook). RIM needs to stick to its niche in the corporate world and not try to take on Apple and Google on THEIR terms. RIM will certainly loose BIG in that fight.

Where are the corporate applications for BBX and its strategy for cornering the enterprise ?
    11-01-11 07:51 PM
    Relax!!! I am sure there will be corporate apps and such also- but the minions have been all clamoring about the lack of games and going to other platforms to fulfill those needs- so Blackberry has to do something about that too.
    I am fine with the os7 as is. But I know me and I will have to get a BBX device when it comes out.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    11-01-11 08:57 PM
    They won't have OS 2 for Playbook done till February. Thinking Q1 for BBX phones is way too optimistic. Also BBM won't be in 2.0 @ release and this will be a must for any Blackberry phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-11 09:03 PM

Why would RIM spend resources to put gaming on a device that will largely go to corporate clients ? Are we saying that RIM is building a super Gameboy device to compete with the iPhone on entertainment capabilities. Tell me that's not so ! RIM will loose and the much anticipated BBX phones, will be the laughing stock of the market and surely put them into bankruptcy.
    It's not as if providing handsets to game developers will stop or slow down development of corporate apps. RIM aren't the ones developing the games and aren't sacrificing anything. If you want support, you have to provide as many developers as possible with handsets for them to develop on - that includes gaming, corporate apps, etc.

Get them out there and let the development companies and developer community go wild with them.
    11-01-11 09:05 PM
    A pure touchscreen device is NOT for corporate clients, or business users in general. No keyboard = consumer only. If RIM doesn't put out any devices with keyboards on the BBX platform they WILL go under, they'll lose so many sales and will eventually just be bought out by a competitor for $10/share.
    11-01-11 09:25 PM
    Um.
    Wait.
    Do some people honestly think thats what the actual phone looks like..?
    11-01-11 09:28 PM
    A pure touchscreen device is NOT for corporate clients, or business users in general. No keyboard = consumer only. If RIM doesn't put out any devices with keyboards on the BBX platform they WILL go under, they'll lose so many sales and will eventually just be bought out by a competitor for $10/share.
    The iPhone begs to differ.
    timberdc and Rob Robertson like this.
    11-01-11 09:31 PM
    A pure touchscreen device is NOT for corporate clients, or business users in general. No keyboard = consumer only.
    Ridiculous statement.

Which business vertical are we talking about? As an IT professional that uses a PSA (ConnectWise) and RMM tool (LabTech) there are only 2 platforms that offer apps that my workplace requires. Android or iPhone - neither of which have a keyboard. I used BB for years but it no longer meets my company needs, don't really like Android... so I've been using an iPhone but to say touchscreen devices are for consumers only is insane unless you have a very specific vertical that I haven't done IT for. (I've done medical, construction, education, automotive, insurance, financial, real estate, telecommunications, etc...), each of these verticals have lots of options on apps that integrate with their line of business applications and unfortunately, I don't see hardly any for anything other than an iPhone or Android.

The iPhone apps I use for business are a requirement of the job - you cannot perform the job without these tools, and the tools are not made for any smartphone with a keyboard currently (iPhone and Android exclusively). I am seeing this in more and more market verticals as well, not just IT.

For example:
    Enter the time I spent on a ticket while on-site or mobile, have a customer sign-off on the work performed (on the phone), create a quote or parts request if you see something they need while on-site, access secured passwords stored in our RMM tool and view product keys... things our network engineers and remote or mobile technicians require. These tasks can only be performed on an iPhone or a smartphone running Android. The only other alternative is to tether your phone to the Windows laptop which is often a huge waste of time - and this will only accomplish some of the tasks, having someone sign off on the work would require a touch screen on the laptop or trying to install their printer on your laptop and printing it off for them? Lol - wastes of time.

This isn't a BB bash but I always see comments like "BB is for Business cause they both start with the letter B!", but it's not true at all. For one reason or another, app developers who write business and productivity apps or integrate with line of business applications don't give a damn about BB.
    jon4400 likes this.
    11-01-11 09:55 PM
    The early phone as broken last week by n4bb, these will be pure touchscreen devices.

Much more likely, from what we're hearing, is a calendar Q1 window, including games - lots of games.
    Why are they making these points out to be such a big deal? RIM has said from the beginning that the BBX phones will initally be high end touch screen only devices and that they were targetting a Q1 2012 release date. Claiming to have some sort of insider knowledge around these points is ridiculous.
    11-01-11 10:21 PM
    They won't have OS 2 for Playbook done till February. Thinking Q1 for BBX phones is way too optimistic. Also BBM won't be in 2.0 @ release and this will be a must for any Blackberry phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i thought they had said that everything works fine going forward but the issue they have is getting 2 or more pins, under one BBID. So pretty much BBM would be a go for future BBX smartphones but this was the reason why the Playbook hasnt gotten native BBM yet?
    Concession likes this.
    11-01-11 10:28 PM
    i thought they had said that everything works fine going forward but the issue they have is getting 2 or more pins, under one BBID. So pretty much BBM would be a go for future BBX smartphones but this was the reason why the Playbook hasnt gotten native BBM yet?
    Correct, the issue with BBM and the PlayBook is sharing a PIN. It has nothing to do with BBM integration to BBX.
    Rello and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-01-11 11:59 PM
    ok thanks...thats what i thought...

im glad these devices are already in the hands of developers. hopefully with Playbook OS 2.0 coming out in february means that BBX will actually be ready in that rumored Q1 timeframe....

thats assuming we can actually trust RIM to meet this February deadline
    11-02-11 12:08 AM
    I'm predicting BBX phones in February at the same time the PlayBook gets BBX(PBOS 2.0).
    11-02-11 12:09 AM
    The iPhone begs to differ.
    I have to agree.
    11-02-11 12:30 AM
    I'm starting to think BBX phones will be released later than what most people here want or expect. No matter how much complaining or demanding their is I think RIM has to take a lot of different factors into account that we don't realize when they make decisions.

I also don't think it's the end of the world if they don't. I doubt the smartphone battle will be won in the next month, few months, year or ever. It's going to be a continual battle. Great for the consumer as long as no one monopolizes things which it doesn't seem like they will. RIMs doing better than most as of right now and has good prospects.
    11-02-11 01:32 AM
    For anyone who asked what it looks like: Look at the Torch 9860/50 and think 4.1" screen size.
    11-02-11 03:29 AM
    I'm predicting BBX phones in February at the same time the PlayBook gets BBX(PBOS 2.0).
    I'm predicting neither happens in February, and we get a new date to wait for on OS 2.0 for the Playbook. Sorry but RIM has made me very pessimistic on believing anything they say, especially if it has a date, month, quarter, or season in the statement.
    11-02-11 08:59 AM
    Feb 2013 perhaps.

I will be surprised if the PB gets BBX by Febuary 2012.
    11-02-11 11:26 AM

I found this aspect troubling at DEVON, where they kept trotting out game developers as proof of the progress on BBX (Playbook). RIM needs to stick to its niche in the corporate world and not try to take on Apple and Google on THEIR terms. RIM will certainly loose BIG in that fight.

Where are the corporate applications for BBX and its strategy for cornering the enterprise ?

I just don't understand why people say this.

First people b!tch about how RIM makes boring business phones and that corporate people want to carry only one phone that fits the needs of peoples' personal and professional life.

Now people are upset because they are trying to make their phones do what people have asked for?
    11-02-11 12:57 PM
    I just don't understand why people say this.

First people b!tch about how RIM makes boring business phones and that corporate people want to carry only one phone that fits the needs of peoples' personal and professional life.

Now people are upset because they are trying to make their phones do what people have asked for?
    Therein lies the conundrum: should RIM make devices with a focus on business, or the average consumer? Should they make TWO lines of phones--one for each camp? Should they be concerned that other OS'S are "stealing" their enterprise clients? RIM is battling a war that in the minds of many, has already been lost. Can you envision that BBX is going to reverse the tide and win the war?
    11-02-11 01:02 PM
    Therein lies the conundrum: should RIM make devices with a focus on business, or the average consumer? Should they make TWO lines of phones--one for each camp? Should they be concerned that other OS'S are "stealing" their enterprise clients? RIM is battling a war that in the minds of many, has already been lost. Can you envision that BBX is going to reverse the tide and win the war?
    You sound like you know just whats going on aswell as whats needed, not! Just like the analysts like to expel on with all the negatives, never acknowledging the positives. The time will come where the transition will be complete. Sorry about it not being fast enough for you, for the rest of the world it seems to be.
    11-02-11 01:11 PM
    No. They need one line of phone that does everything. That's what people want.

Nothing is lost until they are bankrupt and being sold off. Which could happen because they are really not moving fast to make up for lost yardage.
    11-02-11 01:13 PM

Nothing is lost until they are bankrupt and being sold off. Which could happen because they are really not moving fast to make up for lost yardage.
    I wasn't actually PROPOSING or SUGGESTING that RIM have two lines of phones!

I can easily foresee them going "bye-bye".
    11-02-11 01:25 PM
    [can't multi-quote, but this is a global answer]

Don't forget (what I think is one of) the most important announcement at devcon.
    It's called Balance. (edited) For those who don't know what balance is about : http://us.blackberry.com/apps-softwa...ll/balance.jsp

And what is seems to offer is simple and tremendous : high grade isolated and secure environment for business and more permissive isolated environment for leisure.
    (edited #2) and of course, both for phones and PlayBook.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-02-11 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Balance link
    11-02-11 01:30 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD