My blackberry 8300 keeps shutting down completely even though the indicator icon shows sufficent battery life. If I remove the battery and put it back in the blackberry will work start-up again only to shutdown later. There is a small red box on the side of the battery. Does anyone know if this indicates that my battery is bad? I have had the blackberry for just over a year and it has its original battery. ** long do the batteries last? Please let me know. Thank you, DP
    09-11-08 09:06 AM
    The small red box is a moisture indicator. If the red is blurry or smeared, it means the battery has gotten wet. Otherwise it doesn't tell you anything about the health of the battery.

Batteries do have a useful life. After a year, you might expect it to hold less charge and discharge sooner than a new battery.

If the charge icon is showing sufficient charge remaining, the blackberry shouldn't shut down. If pulling the battery causes it to restart, then you may have a low memory problem. What is your Options / Status / File Free? If it's less than 12 000 000 bytes, then you're low on memory and need to perform the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig.

If low memory is not the problem, then how are you charging your battery? The best way is to use the wallcharger. Does the battery show fully charged? Does the charging icon go out?
    09-11-08 09:27 AM
    I always wondered if the moisture indicator was on the battery. Is there another one on the blackberry?
    09-11-08 04:30 PM
    I always wondered if the moisture indicator was on the battery. Is there another one on the blackberry?
    There is at least one more visible without disassembly, a small white square that's under the battery in my 8830. I've never taken a BlackBerry apart to look for others.
    09-11-08 04:41 PM
    I have a Curve that I am rebuilding and when I put the battery in it starts to boot then shows a battery with a red line thru it, the battery I am putting in is fully charged and works in my other Curve
    10-17-08 10:15 PM
    If the battery is fully charged and operational in another curve, that suggests the power circuitry in the curve you are rebuilding is damaged or defective. What happens if you power the rebuilt curve with a wall power supply?
    10-18-08 12:03 AM
    Hi, i just bought a 8520 battery & i try charging it but a red X cross the battery. What advice do you have?
    05-06-11 07:47 PM
    You either have a bad battery or a defective charging circuit in your phone. Are you replacing a battery? If you are replacing a battery that showed the same symptoms, and you bought the replacement battery new from a carrier store, then it is most likely the problem lies with the charging circuitry in your phone. If you bought a used or off-brand battery, then it could be either the phone or the battery.

How are are attempting to charge the battery? If you aren't using a wall-charger, use one. Put the new battery in the phone, turn the phone off, plug it into the wall charger, and leave it overnight. If it's charged in the morning, then your problem is solved. If it isn't charged, you still have to rule out a defective battery or a defective phone.

If you can try the battery in another device, that will go a long way toward determining if the problem is with the battery or the device. Without more information than you've provided so far, it is impossible to say.
    05-06-11 08:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD