With Blackberry Balance and the ability to keep personal and Enterprise data silo'd, would it not be possible to be able to add the ability to have dual-SIM cards so that people could truly combine two personalities into one? I currently have a personal 9900 and curve for work and if I were able to truly carry only one device it would be AWESOME! Yes some may think this is a stupid idea, but just tossing it out there as Balance looks to me like it could be a great base to start looking towards this as I think it would be a huge feature. I stand to be corrected but I can see it being a bigger feature to people like myself than to just load Enterprise data onto someone's device. Being able to have a work line added to a personal device along with enterprise data would be far more beneficial to me than solely enterprise data.
    10-20-12 03:32 PM
    I would love that.

Not sure if it's coming to market, but always wanted a dual sim BB.

I manage 3 cell phones, so anything I can consolidate would be nice.
    10-20-12 04:37 PM
    Agreed, and not just a bastardized one like I've seen which is why I thought maybe Balance could be a good base for them to consider working this from.
    10-20-12 05:41 PM
    I'd go for a dual-sim device. There are a few out there, but nothing serious as yet.
    10-20-12 06:55 PM
    Blackberry London will not have dual-SIM card capability.
    10-21-12 12:34 AM
    IMO it won't happen. The market is just too small.
    10-21-12 02:06 PM
    I disagree, why would they have created Blackberry Balance? If a second phone number could be attached to the Enterprise identity, this would be a huge benefit. The last thing I want to be doing is making a ton of work calls from my personal if I don't need to. Having the data is great, but I don't want to use my own phone (or give it out for that matter), to be reachable when I can still access all my other Enterprise data.
    10-21-12 02:43 PM
    I think BB Balance was created to provide a division between enterprise (work) and personal usage without having to switch devices. BES is tied to the device, not the SIM. Balance enables you to use the same phone number and PIN, but, for example, carry personal BBM conversations with the BES accessing them.

So, under the current BES set-up, even if a device is dual-SIM, unless you have Balance, it wouldn't matter--both would be under an enterprise policy.

That's just my understanding. I'm not a BES admin, and have not played with Balance.
    10-21-12 03:05 PM
    This is leading me towards my question, my work is going to be implementing bb balance soon. I want to take advantage and get rid of one of my phones but I am not clear on one thing. On the personal side of balance, can my employer still see the data I am using, read my email, block websites? This is my concern.
    10-23-12 09:59 AM
    This is leading me towards my question, my work is going to be implementing bb balance soon. I want to take advantage and get rid of one of my phones but I am not clear on one thing. On the personal side of balance, can my employer still see the data I am using, read my email, block websites? This is my concern.
    No, your personal space is yours to do with as you please, and your Admin will not be able to read your personal e-mails or block sites on your browser. The only thing they have control over is anything work related. The purpose of balance was that your device can still be managed at the corporate level while you continue to use your device for personal stuff as well.
    10-23-12 10:45 AM
    This is all very confusing, just got a note back from my admin and he is say it still falls under the corporate it policy??
    10-23-12 10:57 AM
    This is all very confusing, just got a note back from my admin and he is say it still falls under the corporate it policy??
    BlackBerry Balance Technology Separates Personal from Business Information - Canada
    smertz likes this.
    10-23-12 11:36 AM
    Thanks Oni! I feel better about this now.
    10-23-12 01:08 PM
    This would also be great for individuals (like me) who frequently travel between two cities. I'd like to have two numbers on one device so that i can carry a local area code for both.
    10-23-12 01:33 PM
    Dual SIM might be useful for enterprises . With BB Balance, it separates your work stuff and personal stuff but phone calls are still mixed because of the single SIM card. Supporting dual sim, an enterprise would be able to better determine which calls are work calls because it will be a SIM given to the employee. An added bonus would be having the voice mails separate, having one for work and personal, so you don't have to listen to 3 work related voice mails before you get to the one about bringing home milk.
    10-23-12 02:25 PM
    I could see a dual-sim being really awesome when integrated into Blackberry balance.
    All work related stuff (calls, messaging, emails) would go over the work-issued sim, while you can do whatever you want when your personal sim has the right plan.
    10-23-12 02:33 PM
    I hate how editing doesn't work with this theme.

I just thought that this would be good for travelling:
    Your main SIM will be used for BIS/BES access and pin confirmation, but calls and data will be tunneled over the local sim.
    10-23-12 03:47 PM
    I would think Blackberry would be all over this.
    Almost everyone that I work with and most customers I deal with who use company issued Blackberry cell phones, all carry a second phone with them and it is usually an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy, not another Blackberry.

It is a pain to carry around 2 devices with you all the time. I think if Blackberry could expand the "balance" idea down to the sim card level, that would be a market changer.

If people could buy their own phone, have it set up and running with their own apps, and settings connected to the network on with a separate sim card, and their employer could have all of their apps and security settings on the same device and connecting to the network on another sim card all at the same time, it would be great for the end user and could reduce the number of blackberry users who carry a competitor's device with them.

Why do people carry two devices? I think it's because most companies are using whatever phone their provider is giving them for free and up until now it has been the curve 8500 series and most recently the 9300 series, neither of which uses a touch screen or have 4G. In contrast, the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy Tab offer 4G and the touch screen experience.

If Blackberry went to the Dual sim card on a BBY10 device, I would never have to buy another device again.
    06-04-13 04:00 PM
    I would buy a dual sim BB now to be honest, in the past I have had a few dual sim phones and found them invaluable, this is one of my main problems with BB I need 2 phones. I travel a lot and my BB has the sim changed depending on the country I am in at the time, it is only because I am a loyal BB user that I have not replaced both my phones with a dual sim phone and this is looking possible as I am disappointed with my Z10.
    10-16-13 09:28 AM
    Dual SIM phones are a useful for some people, especially those who travel, or live in countries where cellular reception tends to be geographically fragmented by carrier. Carriers though, frequently refuse to sell these phones through their outlets. Not surprising, since it would actually make it easier for a customer to use other networks. Because of this, these phones tend to be much more popular in countries where phones are not subsidized. Samsung, for example, sells their flagship phones in dual SIM models. Both the S4 and Note 2 are available with dual SIM. The Samsung phones however, are only dual standby, which means you can only make calls through one SIM. When one SIM is in use on a call, the other shuts off, typically setting off the call forwarding feature to forward calls to the other SIM. True dual SIM active phones tend to be of the dumbphone variety, although there are exceptions. I doubt BlackBerry will make a dual SIM phone, simply because they tend to obey carrier requests, and like I said, carriers hate anything that could entice a customer to switch networks.
    10-16-13 11:08 AM
    Lenovo do a range of dual sim high end android phones at good prices but I never seen them in uk. Think sold mainly in china.

( 1 x shift ) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
    10-16-13 01:03 PM
    Wow, I almost forgot about this thread!

Anyway, as enterprise/prosumer BBRY is, you would think they would have already delivered a Q10/Z10 dual sim phone by now...
    10-16-13 01:58 PM
    I still think a dual system would be nice, especially tied with Balance. A company can reduce costs by limiting their carrier contract SIM to business only stuff, while leaving you free range to do whatever you want on your personal SIM, even doing international calls or joining your family's bundle.
    10-18-13 04:11 PM
    Looks like this is now possible with BlackBerry's purchase of Movirtu.

BlackBerry buys Movirtu for multinumber phone service - CNET
    03-14-15 07:15 PM
    Looks like this is now possible with BlackBerry's purchase of Movirtu.

BlackBerry buys Movirtu for multinumber phone service - CNET
    It's splitting the invoice and calls (to comply with BYOD regulations), and afaik on the same carrier, it's not really like grabbing another cheapo SIM abroad and popping it it for some cheap data (avoiding roaming charges), right?

Anyone please enlighten. :-D

  Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....  
    03-14-15 08:13 PM