Anyone know if the BB assistant will be available on the Priv? I use it a lot and hope it's preloaded!

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 06:22 PM
    Yes it will be there. It'll be improved and will be named Google Now.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 06:24 PM
    I don't, but I doubt it. We'll probably need to use Google Now.
    10-16-15 06:24 PM
    Snoople Now is the option... :-(

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    Omnitech likes this.
    10-16-15 08:09 PM
    Really don't see the point since Google Now works just as well.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 09:44 PM
    There is universal search baked in priv
    10-16-15 09:47 PM
    Blackberry assistant was powered by maluuba anyway just download their app

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 07:58 PM
    BlackBerry saves quite a bit moving to Android: no more maps, no assistant... but doesn't using Google services pretty much make the "Privacy" claim moot?

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 10:45 AM
    I for one hope they do bring BlackBerry assistant over. I think they can work on speed, but I often find it to be more accurate than Google now

Blackberry Z10 was the beginning. The Z30 is my upgrade
    10-18-15 02:31 PM
    BlackBerry saves quite a bit moving to Android: no more maps, no assistant... but doesn't using Google services pretty much make the "Privacy" claim moot?

Posted via CB10
    That needs to be evaluated... :-)

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-18-15 05:33 PM
    I for one hope they do bring BlackBerry assistant over. I think they can work on speed, but I often find it to be more accurate than Google now

I don't know about 'more accurate' but the assistant certainly understands domains more deeply than Google Now, and allows for more natural speech.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 07:38 PM
    I don't know about 'more accurate' but the assistant certainly understands domains more deeply than Google Now, and allows for more natural speech.

Posted via CB10
    Just the other day, I told blackberry assistant 'navigate to "persons name"'. Their address is attached to their contact name in my contacts app, so within second, it looked up the address, opened blackberry maps, and I was on my way. My friend that had an android phone tried to do the same thing with Google now, and it did nothing. Had no idea what he wanted to do

10-21-15 01:23 PM
    That needs to be evaluated... :-)
    Signs are not looking promising so far. :-|
    10-22-15 04:12 AM
    Just the other day, I told blackberry assistant 'navigate to "persons name"'. Their address is attached to their contact name in my contacts app, so within second, it looked up the address, opened blackberry maps, and I was on my way. My friend that had an android phone tried to do the same thing with Google now, and it did nothing. Had no idea what he wanted to do

That's nice. So out of 200 side-by-side examples, BlackBerry Assistant may win 10.

I can't even get Assistant to voice dial contacts by company name, or which have more than one phone number field per type. (eg "Work")

I'm not looking forward to SnoopleNow, but then again, Assistant doesn't exactly rock my voice-controlled world either.
    10-22-15 04:17 AM
    That's nice. So out of 200 side-by-side examples, BlackBerry Assistant may win 10.

I can't even get Assistant to voice dial contacts by company name, or which have more than one phone number field per type. (eg "Work")

I'm not looking forward to SnoopleNow, but then again, Assistant doesn't exactly rock my voice-controlled world either.
    Really?
    When the assistant asks you which phone number to use, have you tried answering it?

Or tried specifying the phone type in your initial utterance? Like " get me Bob Barker at the office "
    Which works with assistant, but not on Google now.

Try setting an alarm....
    "Set an alarm at 7:30 on Monday Tuesday and Thursday evenings "

Have fun with your alarm GN sets up for Tuesday and Thursday MORNING at 7:30. I guess GN knows nobody likes alarms on Mondays, so conveniently leaves it off.

If you want 200 examples where you'd be surprised GN fails, I'd be happy for provide them.
    Like "have I received any sms messages from bob?"
    Fail. Works only if you say "search for sms messages from Bob "

We're talking about what the assistant does with what was recognized vs Google Now, not the recognition itself (which is better in Google Now, but still pretty good in the assistant) . What happens after that, for the domains the assistant supports there is no contest, it spanks Google Now every time.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 09:10 PM
    Maybe I'll give cortana a try? At least my info will be going to the MS overlords who won't be able to link it back to all of the Google overlord data.

One would hope.
    10-28-15 12:39 PM

Navigating to contacts used to work with Googlel Search/Google Now voice commands no problem (assuming you had Contacts Recognition turned on in Settings). In the recent past though, it stopped working because Google/Android has been making some significant changes to their Contacts/Gmail/G+ services. Probably as a result of Lollipop (which is when it stopped working) and Marshmallow changes to security and privacy. It used to be that saying "Navigate to -contact name- home/work" would work no problem. And if they were actively sharing their location, you could navigate to their current location. Why they disabled it completely, I don't know. But I'd speculate that there's a major revision being done to rework how Google Maps communicates with Android, since over the past 6 months Google Maps has been going through some significantly major revisions.
    10-28-15 03:44 PM
    BlackBerry assistant works better then Google Now for natural speech recognition and overall intelligence.

I have extensively used both, it's no contest. Google Now will often just launch a Web search of whatever you said, while Assistant will properly determine what you want done and just do it.

Setting appointments, reminders, taking notes, etc.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    10-28-15 04:32 PM
    Google Now is an absolute joke.
    *Search for apps to download from Google Play and it brings up a Google search WTF!
    *Ask to search for people named "Andrew" in contacts and it brings up a Google search WTF!
    *Ask it to open an app installed on the phone and it brings up a Google search WTF!
    *Ask it to call a person and it brings up a Google search WTF!
    *Ask it to search your calendar and it brings up a Google search WTF!

Google Now is so useless.
    11-02-15 11:49 PM
    *Search for apps to download from Google Play and it brings up a Google search WTF!
    *Ask to search for people named "Andrew" in contacts and it brings up a Google search WTF!
    *Ask it to open an app installed on the phone and it brings up a Google search WTF!

And I thought BB Assistant was kinda funky when it did that.... lol!

And that's Google, the world's prime mobile OS provider...?

:-D

 Priv New (Chendroid) World...? :-| 
    11-04-15 06:38 PM

Maybe it's got something to do with your username!!! ;-D

 Priv New (Chendroid) World...? :-| 
    11-04-15 06:38 PM
    Maybe it's got something to do with your username!!! ;-D
    I do like to search for things a lot. Just never using Google lol.
    11-05-15 12:06 AM

Really?
    When the assistant asks you which phone number to use, have you tried answering it?

Or tried specifying the phone type in your initial utterance? Like " get me Bob Barker at the office "
    Which works with assistant, but not on Google now.

Read what I wrote. There are 2 specific scenarios I described.

Scenario 1: You want to voice dial a contact that has more than one "Work" phone number, or more than one "Home" phone number, or more than one "Other" phone number.

Scenario 2: You want to voice dial a contact that ONLY has a company number, but no first/last name defined. Or for a contact that has first/last name defined (and you don't remember that individual's name) and you just want to dial the general company number.

In the case of Scenario 2, it's simply impossible. BBA cannot find such contacts in order to dial them. You cannot voice dial by company name.

In the case of Scenario 1, it requires you to identify which phone number by reciting every single digit of the desired phone number, digit by digit. Do I have to explain why if I had to know such things, I'd have no need for BBA to even find a contact from my contacts database in the first place and dial it, if I already had all their telephone numbers memorized in my head?

All of which essentially make voice dialing on modern builds of BB10 99.8% useless to me. Far worse than earlier builds of BB10 that did not rely on BBA for voice dialing.

But no worries, BBA along with BB10 is in the process of being retired. Won't have to worry about any of that very soon. Just whether or not I want to stick with a privacy-violating BlackBerry Android device, or some other unsatisfactory platform. Decisions, decisions.
    11-06-15 08:15 PM
    Scenario 1: You want to voice dial a contact that has more than one "Work" phone number, or more than one "Home" phone number, or more than one "Other" phone number.
    Oh how this drives me nuts. Some of my contacts have a mobile and standard business number, and the same for home. On BBOS 7 I used to be able to call "home 1", "home 2", etc. Have never been able to do that on BB10 without using "other" or some such workaround.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 10:09 AM
    Oh how this drives me nuts. Some of my contacts have a mobile and standard business number, and the same for home. On BBOS 7 I used to be able to call "home 1", "home 2", etc. Have never been able to do that on BB10 without using "other" or some such workaround.

Actually one used to be able to do it on BB10 by disabling "full" voice control, and just setting the device to use voice for voice dialing only. Then you got the old Nuance voice prompts and you could select "Home 1", "Home 2", etc.

But that's been taken-away now in 10.3.2, the option no longer exists. You are forced to use BlackBerry Assistant, and BlackBerry Assistant isn't too bright about various things.

(There is a "Full Assistance" button that you can toggle off, but not only does it not help, the half-dozen tests I did just now resulted in it calling various random numbers in response to my commands, without any prompting or warning.. )
    11-11-15 07:46 PM
27 12