Amidst all of this doom and gloom about BlackBerry these days I thought I'd share an interesting statistic.

I wrote my first phone app and submitted it to App World on June 21. So far it has been bringing in about $5 in sales each day, for a total of about $54. (If you're interested, search for "Baby Names" on app world... it's the one with the black-background icon)

Let's compare that to the Android Marketplace. App submitted four days ago and... drum roll please... $0 in sales.

So which platform am I motivated to make more apps for?
    06-30-11 09:41 PM
    there are aout 60 FREE baby name apps in the google market place...why the **** would you pay for one?
    Last edited by howarmat; 06-30-11 at 10:42 PM.
    06-30-11 09:51 PM
    The other apps are lists of names in the same way a book of baby names is a list. The app I wrote has each parent individually rate the names with a letter grade A/B/C/D, then combines the scores and sorts the list showing which name they mutually like the best. (The reason I wrote the app is that my wife and I did this manually and it worked amazingly well)

But yes, good point -- people browsing for an app aren't going to have time to read 50 descriptions and realize that that one particular app is unique from the rest.

Anyway, my point is simply to share my experience as one developer out there and the trend that I'm seeing, which is that, for me and my app, the Android marketplace = depressing, and App World = encouraging.
    06-30-11 10:08 PM
    The other apps are lists of names in the same way a book of baby names is a list. The app I wrote has each parent individually rate the names with a letter grade A/B/C/D, then combines the scores and sorts the list showing which name they mutually like the best. (The reason I wrote the app is that my wife and I did this manually and it worked amazingly well)

But yes, good point -- people browsing for an app aren't going to have time to read 50 descriptions and realize that that one particular app is unique from the rest.

Anyway, my point is simply to share my experience as one developer out there and the trend that I'm seeing, which is that, for me and my app, the Android marketplace = depressing, and App World = encouraging.
    exactly....you have to stand out somehow to make it known why you app is better. curious why you didnt go the ad driven free version route?
    06-30-11 10:25 PM
    Serious thread?
    06-30-11 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD