Hi. I'm the developer who posted this to reddit....
    A proper port requires a lot more work than just converting an APK. A button that takes you to Google Play, or help files that refer to your Android device wouldn't be very useful, and I would want to test on real hardware (that I would need to buy). So I need to decide whether I'm going to add features to the Android version that users are requesting, and that would definitely yield higher sales, or not add the new features and make a BB version instead. For now I'm going to focus on keeping the Android version up to date, because it's already paying the bills.
    Well, just for the fact alone that you would want to test on actual units is more than I can say about most.
    Paying the bills are important, so if you're comfortable with your current position, I can't argue with that.
    I just believe you could make so much more revenue if you had killer apps that included BlackBerry devices in your portfolio.
    BTW, what apps (or kind of apps) are we talking about here?
    I would like to know what we are missing out on? You may get great support from the community for your apps if they are useful and serve a purpose.
    01-09-13 07:23 PM
    Gotta download the development kit tonight and make some money!
    01-09-13 08:24 PM
    I read this the other day and had mixed opinions on it. For most of us we know how easy it is for someone to convert the apk to bar and load it. Most people dont though so it does help spread the news and some devs will see this and maybe port their apps over. But it does expose just how easy it is for someone to steal others work. I cant say its an easy thing to prevent and hopefully RIM tightens up the vetting process for all the apps that submitted.
    It does expose just how easy it is for someone to steal others work from an Android phone. .bar files are encryted, .apk files are not. It is so easy to steal an app from android & then submit it on another marketplace, or put it on p2p ect.
    01-09-13 11:29 PM
    Yep gogo open source software security
    01-09-13 11:41 PM
    On the plus side, it does make RIM's claim that BB10 will launch with 100K apps a little less ridiculous. I can see Alec Saunders now:

"Let a thousand APK-to-BAR conversions bloom"
    01-10-13 12:02 AM
    On the plus side, it does make RIM's claim that BB10 will launch with 100K apps a little less ridiculous. I can see Alec Saunders now:

are we facing a huge QC nightmare? only time will tell.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-10-13 12:12 AM
    RIM / Devs have to monitor their store for stolen wares no differently than Google has to watch YouTube for copyrighted material making its way onto their site. This is nothing new on the Internet.
    Actually, YouTube has a policy pretty similar to that of App World: most individuals can post pretty much anything, but if a copyright holder objects, they can issue a "take-down" notice.

Now, App World is somewhat more involved to get into (they want some form of ID to prove you are who you say you are), so if you get busted pulling something, you run the risk of losing the right to offer products again. But with so many new devs (and staff presumably pretty overloaded approving apps), I'm sure there are probably several of these. I doubt that many, though.
    FreeJACLive likes this.
    01-10-13 12:20 AM

I don't think so. Converting apps has been around for awhile. You can Google for lists of apps that have been converted, what version, and comments if they work or not. I know a few staples are being used. Some devs have seen that they have an audience for their apps and either port them over themselves, or seek RIM's help in learning about creating an app. The ones who have announced apps and/or support for BB10 would scrap any ported (I mean simply converting the apk of someone else's app) version day one. The bloom would have happened long ago.

The vetting for the $100 or the 10K guarantee are not for simple crappy, do-nothing apps just converted and slapped on App World. They have to be able to integrate with one or more of the core BB services, Working from scratch should enable RIM (and their third party partner) to check out apps with more scrutiny before allowing an app in AW. As with any program of this magnitude, we'll get a fair share of craptacular apps as well. Hopefully the ones we need are available. If not, then maybe, if BB10 has initial success, it may make some devs rethink their position.
    01-10-13 12:27 AM
    When you have a website that allows people to upload stuff, IP infringement issues will inevitably occur. That's why websites like YouTube, App World, Google Play, and iTunes app allows right holders to make complaints. You expect people to not pirate stuff, but it is difficult for RIM to determine whether something's pirated. At the end of the day, app vendors should police themselves to check to see if their apps have been pirated. Of course, if the vendors actually ported them to BB10 the first place, it will be difficult for pirated app from making it into App World in the first place.
    Thunderbuck and seluje like this.
    01-10-13 12:44 AM
    App World said to hawk Android apps.....What a lovely title! Has a nice ring to it......
    01-10-13 07:25 PM
35 12