Good development

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 11:20 AM
    I am familiar with Ingram Micro through my computer business... actually Ingram supplies much more than just the carriers.... they have a lengthy client list... the rub will be on Blackberry's side.... BB needs to work out partnerships with various retailers which Ingram then can supply the product.... everything in life is potential and this to me is another piece of the greater puzzle.... the more you can suppliment the current vendors the better....
    Paintman321 and rarsen like this.
    11-04-14 11:23 AM
    So what does this mean in terms of OS updates (if anything)? Can Blackberry push the updates directly to the devices? or are they still reliant on the carriers? My guess is the latter, but i'm always open for an early Christmas gift.
    You don't need the carrier. You simply get the updates from BlackBerry. Also you don't get Rogers installing their own self interest apps for example. It's pure BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 01:12 PM
    So nothing changed actually?

Now I am confused :S

Posted via CB10
    I think Blackberry is just pushing more of its supply chain management to Ingram who will then distribute hardware in a more cost effective manner. For a price, Blackberry and likewise the carriers (as they are the other side of this equation) are allowing someone else to manage inventory risk. It's a good move as Blackberry can further streamline its operations.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    11-04-14 01:13 PM
    This is only a good move if they implement one requirement for retailers:

Fully operational demo phones!

It drives me insane when I want to look at a $700 device and cannot try it, and when I hold the dummy phone it even feels cheap. BlackBerry cannot gain customers by advertising in retailers with dummy phones - the passport looks like an obnoxious toy, until you try it and don't want anything else.

BB for Life
    11-04-14 01:55 PM
    BlackBerry Passport in stock again now.
    11-04-14 01:59 PM
    I hope this proves to be successful in Canada so that we can have this in the U.S.
    I would truly want that. Freedom is something everyone wants. I believe it is an the way, because I think the shopblackberry.com was a test.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 02:26 PM
    Some years ago I worked with and not for Ingram Micro. True - Ingram is a major force when you need a distributor to sell to various types of retailers. It is NOT a key to success in terms of sales. Ingram carries thousands of products. If the product sells - they wil stock the items. If it does not sell - it will become a special order. I was not aware that Ingram had a mobility division - not sure how they function with their customer base. As I read this, this agreement is for Canada ONLY.

The perverse side to wholesale distribution deals is the middleman factor. For the end user - getting a good price is not going to happen. The distributor will take from 5% to 15% and the retailer will want another slice. Unless Blackberry sells to Ingram at a killer price - end users will not see any relief pricewise.

I think Blackberry just put a nail in the coffin of selling unlocked phoes directly to end users.

What about phone returns - read RMA's - who will be taking care of that side of the business. This is a very touchy part for an end-user when his phone fails. Where does he send his phone? - retailer - autorized service center - Blackberry (I doubt it). What about turnaround time on repairs?

I am happy for Blackberry if it brings them more business but also disappointed that the end user is not serviced directly in terms of sale and service.

Time will tell how this distribution deal works out.

Cheers
    11-04-14 04:11 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bbjdog; 11-04-14 at 05:26 PM.
    11-04-14 04:49 PM
    Currently they deal with Brightstar and Ingram. One thought that comes into my mind, this might be the reversal of what people are thinking.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 05:11 PM
    In conjunction with selling direct and unlocked, BlackBerry should also bypass the Carriers and push OS updates direct.

It's not like they're going to **** off the carriers, as most carriers have shown they could care less about BlackBerry devices.

Nows the time to do this, in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 05:37 PM
    Ingram Micro does not sell to consumers or directly to business unless they are resellers. Ingram Micro is a distributor. In other words they will be supplying Telus and other Canadian carriers.
    That's too bad. It would have helped some of us get an unlocked BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 05:44 PM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Great news! Give the consumer full control to purchase the phone they want directly!

From my awesome Passports!

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 05:46 PM
    Actually I don't think Ingram is being brought on to deal with carriers. The current relationships with BBRY and carriers will remain and Ingram is to deal with the retail supply chain like Office Depot etc.
    11-04-14 06:43 PM
    Ingram Micro does not sell to consumers or directly to business unless they are resellers. Ingram Micro is a distributor. In other words they will be supplying Telus and other Canadian carriers.
    Where I work we often buy from Ingram, so I guess that means we will have access to BB device shortly.
    Like they said, focus enterprise.
    11-04-14 06:46 PM
    Actually I don't think Ingram is being brought on to deal with carriers. The current relationships with BBRY and carriers will remain and Ingram is to deal with the retail supply chain like Office Depot etc.
    That makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 06:52 PM
    Only if your company obtains BlackBerry Reseller Certification and approval.
    https://partner.blackberry.com/
    11-05-14 12:07 AM
    One of the Carrier's and BlackBerry's biggest problems has been the issue of dead inventory. Carrier buy these bulk orders and are stuck for months or even a year with inventory that doesn't move. Foxconn has been brought on to help BlackBerry on their end with keeping inventory under control, and Ingram is being used on the wholesale level. Now a carrier won't have to commit to 20K units at one time and if they only need to order 500 that's all they will order.

It's a good thing for BlackBerry.... But it's also a sign of them still struggling with a shrinking market as they are having to make adjustments to fit their sales volumes.
    11-05-14 09:07 AM
    ^
    Makes sense.
    Sounds like they downsized faster, than they could adjust their contracts and partners?

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 09:21 AM
    One of the Carrier's and BlackBerry's biggest problems has been the issue of dead inventory. Carrier buy these bulk orders and are stuck for months or even a year with inventory that doesn't move. Foxconn has been brought on to help BlackBerry on their end with keeping inventory under control, and Ingram is being used on the wholesale level. Now a carrier won't have to commit to 20K units at one time and if they only need to order 500 that's all they will order.
    We're already seeing that with the Passport. Carriers are ordering no more than they need to.
    11-05-14 09:27 AM
    Threads like this will produce a barrage of anti-carrier comments. But the fact of the matter is BlackBerry is equally responsible for non-interest in the market. Both sides are accountable.
    11-05-14 09:29 AM
    Now a carrier won't have to commit to 20K units at one time and if they only need to order 500 that's all they will order.
    Have you seen any statements in a press release that indicate Ingram will be involved in the carrier supply chain as well? I think way too much is being assumed here, at least until official sources clear it up.
    11-05-14 09:36 AM
    Have you seen any statements in a press release that indicate Ingram will be involved in the carrier supply chain as well? I think way too much is being assumed here, at least until official sources clear it up.
    I just read the article posted by the OP....

The agreement equips BlackBerry� (NASDAQ: BBRY) (TSX: BB) with broader distribution of its products and services throughout Canada by leveraging Ingram Micro Mobility's supply chain expertise, extensive infrastructure and unique channel reach to value-added resellers (VARs), system integrators, mobile carriers, retailers and other service providers.
    The rest of the article shows that Ingram is VERY involved with carriers already.... but no, we are just assuming what Ingram role will be. But it does sound like they are more of a middle man and not a direct retailer...
    blackmoe likes this.
    11-05-14 10:12 AM
    I just read the article posted by the OP....

The rest of the article shows that Ingram is VERY involved with carriers already.... but no, we are just assuming what Ingram role will be. But it does sound like they are more of a middle man and not a direct retailer...
    Thanks I missed that.
    11-05-14 10:21 AM
    12-29-14 09:17 AM
50 12