Well im a pretty dedicated blackberry daily user but i just had to see what all the hype was with android Htc Evo 4g. I decided to switch over 1 of my 2 blackberry lines to an android device and just give it a shot for 2 weeks.

Needless to say after aboiut 5 minutes i was frustrated beyond words. Never the less i decided to sit it out and give it the full 2 weeks.
    ...2 weeks later and all i can is that i am happy to be back with my blackberry.

Yes i do have 4G coverage in my area so i did test it out and the internet speed was blazing (5mb/s DL 1.5mb/s UL) but watching my battery tick down from 38 to 37 to 36 with in minutes just made it not worth it.
    Also coming from my 8530 which doesn't have the best keyboard out there made it extremely difficult to get used to the touch screen keyboard on the Evo.
    Email was better then i expected. Gmail came through with in seconds so that was kind of like push but facebook and other applications that use PUSH just didnt come close to what blackberry has to offer

I will miss the Android app store which has an enormous selection of free apps to choose from and the handy widgets and quick operating system that tops it all off... Regardless i am happy to be a dedicated blackberry user and I AM BACK!!
    BayouBengal21 and moiselles like this.
    09-12-10 01:26 AM
    Welcome back to blackberry world my friend ! At least you tried and and gave it a chance!
    09-12-10 02:00 AM
    I just wanted to thank you for giving it an honest shot and an honest assessment without any hint of bashing them. Android devices certainly aren't going to be everyone's cup of tea, however it can be frustrating watching people around here use them for less than a day in some cases and then proclaiming android devices to be "junk" or "toys", so thanks again for not going there. It was just so refreshing to see someone on this website give a fair review that I couldn't resist saying something.
    09-12-10 03:49 AM
    I just wanted to thank you for giving it an honest shot and an honest assessment without any hint of bashing them. Android devices certainly aren't going to be everyone's cup of tea, however it can be frustrating watching people around here use them for less than a day in some cases and then proclaiming android devices to be "junk" or "toys", so thanks again for not going there. It was just so refreshing to see someone on this website give a fair review that I couldn't resist saying something.
    I actually really appreciate you saying this kind of made me feel like my post wasnt a complete waist of time.

Please if you or anyone else has any questions about android feel free to ask. I may not have all the answers but i will try to answer them to the best of my ability.
    09-12-10 04:03 AM
    I also used a Motodroid albeit for a while longer.. Android OS is cool and the browser is fast but when it comes to messaging and push BB has it beat hands down.
    So I have a 9650 now and love it! The Droid is still kicking around in my drawer and works on wifi just fine.
    Everybody has their own needs and wants in a device and they all rock in their own ways.. Don't ya just love technology? JFK

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-10 06:34 AM
    Good post! That's the great thing about variety. There are different phones and OS to meet everyone's needs. I think sometimes we get too caught up in the hype and take things personally. I've used the Samsung Epic (Android) and the HTC Touch Pro 2 (Windows Mobile) and consider both of them very good phones. I constantly evaluate other phones as well. The Blackberry Bold 9650 fits MY NEEDS. So if you choose a phone because you like it and works for you, you've made an excellent choice!
    09-12-10 08:13 AM
    Good post! That's the great thing about variety. There are different phones and OS to meet everyone's needs. I think sometimes we get too caught up in the hype and take things personally. I've used the Samsung Epic (Android) and the HTC Touch Pro 2 (Windows Mobile) and consider both of them very good phones. I constantly evaluate other phones as well. The Blackberry Bold 9650 fits MY NEEDS. So if you choose a phone because you like it and works for you, you've made an excellent choice!
    And the response is a good one, too. I'm new to BBing. All my smartphones have had two things in common -- a touchscreen & a physical keyboard. They've all been some flavor of WM, but the last one I was dual booting with Android. When it came time to replace my phone, my choices were the X10, the Captivate & the Torch. Without a physical keyboard, the Android phones seemed incomplete. And I'll probably upset some purists, but until the Torch, the lack of a touchscreen made earlier BB phones incomplete for me. Now, the only thing missing to make the Torch complete is Swype -- switching from stylus to fingertip touchscreen, my accuracy with the onscreen keyboards leaves a lot to be desired.
    09-12-10 09:13 AM
    I did the same thing, but with an HTC Desire. I think maybe my view of Android was pre-determined because I have an iPhone. I know its apples to oranges, but, given the choice...Blackberry over Iphone and both over Android.
    09-12-10 10:06 AM
    I might be doing the same thing soon.

09-12-10 10:10 AM
    I've been thinking of switching from an iPhone to an Android phone, what are your thoughts on this (talking to anyone who has experience with the platforms here)?

I like my 3GS but it's over a year old now, and I don't want an iPhone 4 due to the fact I find that phones work better when they're able to receive a signal, amazingly enough.

Another reason is I'm beginning to hate how locked down the App Store is. I like more openness, and I like putting custom firmwares and hacks on my stuff - so Android makes sense in that respect.
    09-12-10 05:01 PM
    Wow glad to see this post, I was a BB user for 8 months and I wanted every reason to stay but as I have been using my DX since thursday I just can't go back to a phone that is offers so little for ME. I love the look and feel of a BB and if RIM ever makes a phone that is truly a competitor to the androids and iPhones of the world I am sure I might be back.
    09-12-10 07:17 PM
    Wow glad to see this post, I was a BB user for 8 months and I wanted every reason to stay but as I have been using my DX since thursday I just can't go back to a phone that is offers so little for ME. I love the look and feel of a BB and if RIM ever makes a phone that is truly a competitor to the androids and iPhones of the world I am sure I might be back.
    ah, every phone on the market is a competitor. Just because you chose a droid doesn't mean that BB isn't a competitor. Each platform wants to compete for your dollars. Some folks STILL like BB's despite the emergence of Android and the jesus phone.
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    09-12-10 07:33 PM
    The only thing i miss from BB is the notification system and BBM, other than that i'm enjoying my I4. I want to to purchase another BB so hopefully the success of Apple, and Android light a fire under RIM's ****, and they release a consumer device(storm series) that competes with the two companies.
    09-12-10 07:43 PM
    The only thing i miss from BB is the notification system and BBM, other than that i'm enjoying my I4. I want to to purchase another BB so hopefully the success of Apple, and Android light a fire under RIM's ****, and they release a consumer device(storm series) that competes with the two companies.
    Agreed but i want BB to keep the physical keyboard.
    09-12-10 08:28 PM
    Agreed but i want BB to keep the physical keyboard.
    I agree X2!

09-12-10 09:44 PM
    I agree X2!

Make that 3!

09-12-10 10:02 PM
    So from what i can tell the only drawbacks is the battery life...
    Ive been thinking about getting the Samsung Vibrant as an alternative to an iPhone but im still not convinced about the battery life..I really like how slim it is though but hoped that they would have atleast used better quality for the housing...it felt all plastic...sort of like cheap plastic and i got doubts that it would make it through a year. I really need to find an alternative to a BB soon since theyre going to ban the service here in the UAE pretty soon. Although, as much as id like to stay loyal to RIM i dont have much choice. Hoping someone can point me to the right direction with Android devices, keeping in mind good battery life is a must, the virtual keyboard is not a big issue for me as im quite familiar with the keys when i had an iphone a year ago.
    09-13-10 02:18 AM
    Thank you for your compliment of me about not putting android devices down! I believe that any device is good depending the need and the likes of the person who is attracted to such device for whatever reason they find in using it and enjoying it. It all comes down to the hierarchy of needs and personal likes of everyone when it comes to Smart phones and that should be respected. I love blackberries and I would espouse them but I don't believe in denigration of people's personal choice when it comes in choosing what they like. Android undeniably is a great platform for smart phones and is improving even more as each day passes ! And for that I am very happy !

09-13-10 03:52 AM
    I am a long time Blackberry User. Back in July I decided to switch from my Blackberry 9000 to an Android advice. I got an Acer Liquid E phone. The android device was very impressive. Especially the Android Market. However after two months of use I just could not get use to the Touch Screen. It was getting to the point that I wanted to break the device in two. So earlier this week I traded my Acer Liquid E for an unlocked AT&T Blackberry 8520. I am so happy to have a Blackberry again. Amazed at how much memory the 8520 has. No 3G, but thats okay. Don't really need 3G, as I use Wifi mostly.
    10-08-10 09:08 PM
    I have to agree and my problem recently is i like both! I currently just have the EVO but am a previous BB user. While the web etc is far better on android, there is just something I miss about my blackberry. As much as i dont want to dish out more money, i just may be forced in the future to add another line and pick up an 'older' model BB for maybe just texting etc :-) Damn technology! lol
    10-08-10 10:20 PM
    Illnesses from which BB addicts and most users suffer:
    1 You bring your BB to the bathroom with you.
    2 Complete happiness when u reach a traffic light or get stuck in traffic.
    3 You giggle or burst out into hysterical fits of laughter even when you are alone.
    4 It doesn't matter who or what is around you.
    5 Back aches, neck pains and problems with posture.
    6 You leave your nails as short as possible so u can glide across your keypad.
    7 You sleep with your BB beside you.
    8 Completely obsessed with BBM.
    9 Free publicity and marketing for BB.
    10 You make fun of other cell phone brands, especially Nokia.
    11 Depression when something happens to your BB.
    12 Stress when your BB has no EDGE.
    13 Bipolarity and random fits of rage when the BB service goes off for even 5 minutes.

If this wasn't true you know I, wouldn't broadcast it.
    catwoman66 likes this.
    10-08-10 11:10 PM
    I had an evo for a couple of weeks. It was a really cool phone with a TON of features. The options truly seem endless. That being said, I am not tethered to a desk or in my car during the day and my battery would be dead by the end of the day (with everything turned off). Coming from a treo I missed the keyboard and ease of emailing and texting, which comprise >75% of my use. Went with the 9650 and am happy as can be. No, it's not a huge, cool screen, but it fits in the front pocket of my scrubs, has the apps i need and is rock-solid reliable. No regrets. All depends on your needs. Blackberry meets mine. It's a great time for buyers--many great options.
    10-09-10 02:28 PM
    So from what i can tell the only drawbacks is the battery life...
    Ive been thinking about getting the Samsung Vibrant as an alternative to an iPhone but im still not convinced about the battery life..I really like how slim it is though but hoped that they would have atleast used better quality for the housing...it felt all plastic...sort of like cheap plastic and i got doubts that it would make it through a year. I really need to find an alternative to a BB soon since theyre going to ban the service here in the UAE pretty soon. Although, as much as id like to stay loyal to RIM i dont have much choice. Hoping someone can point me to the right direction with Android devices, keeping in mind good battery life is a must, the virtual keyboard is not a big issue for me as im quite familiar with the keys when i had an iphone a year ago.
    I take my Vibrant off the charger at 8am, it goes back on at midnight to 1am, and I am at 30-40% charge left. No complaints at all on battery. I run wifi, live wallpaper, sync my email and facebook at all times, and have yet to have an issue. It's as good if not better than my Storm and better than my Pre.

As far as build, it's the most solid phone I've ever had. I dropped it twice now, and it has one tiny nick on the edge of the plastic. The screen is scratch free. My Curve hit the ground from a lower height and took more damage in one drop.
    10-09-10 06:15 PM
    You're so right ! I have friends with evos and they like it and I play with their phones but as amazed as i am with those Smart phones , to me my blackberry is what works for me completely and I am very happy with it.
    10-09-10 09:49 PM
    In my opinion the only thing attracting people away from blackberry in the first place is the faster, smoother smartphones that are out there. It's frustrating to know that RIM, years ago, could have put the steps in motion that didn't leave such a wide corridor open for Droid and Iphone to do what it has done. In fact, had they kept thier game going years ago, I would actually dare to suggest that Droid wouldn't exist now, or would simply be a third-rate option not many explored.

What the apologists (nice word for fanboi) fail to realize, or admit, is that the option out there doesn't HAVE to be "A or B"... it CAN be "A AND B".... that is to say, there is absolutely NOTHING, no physical law, no limitation of electronics, no legal restriction, that forces a device to use a slower processor and lousy, clunky OS in order for it to have "push" applications and other features that make blackberry attractive.

"Oh, a faster processor uses up the battery quicker".
    Okay...well.... a faster engine in a car uses more gasoline. Why build a motor that will take you over 15 miles an hour? 30 uses twice as much. 60 uses 4 times as much. I think my point is clear.
    Rickroller likes this.
    10-10-10 06:15 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD