I got my first BlackBerry, a Bold 9700, in the fall of 2009. I loved it. Absolutely loved it.

After over a year, though, I started to think about switching to Android. When the keyboard and trackpad on my 9700 started to go on the fritz, I took the opportunity to switch, getting the HTC Aria.

I rooted it and installed CyanogenMOD (currently running CM7RC1). In general, I liked it a lot. I've *loved* Google Navigation, the web browsing experience, and the integrated nature of all my Google service (Gmail, Calendar, Voice, etc.).

However, I just can't stick around. I miss my full QWERTY tactile keyboard, on which I could crank out messages in an instant. I miss battery life that was never less than 24 hours (!). I miss Profiles!

Granted, some of my disatisfaction has been a result of using a release client of a custom ROM. I've had a lot of WiFi issues, app crashes, poor battery life, and, at time, sluggish performance.

But even still, I've made up my mind: it's back to Black for me. Honestly, I don't do a lot of web browsing on my phone, and I don't use a lot of apps. I rely on my phone to last all day and let me shoot emails, texts, and twitter posts quickly and accurately. In a few months, I'll move for a job where I'll commute by Metro, and our one car has a GPS unit, so I won't really miss Google's amazing Navigation app.

Last night I bought a replacement keyboard and trackpad, for under $15 total w/ shipping, for my 9700. This summer I'll get either the Bold Touch (Dakota) or new Curve (Apollo). I'm leaning toward the Curve, despite the better specs of the Bold, though, because the Dakota is just plain fugly. I hated the original bold, and this one honestly looks worse. I'll miss its keboard, but should have no problem adapting to the Curve.

Can't wait to be back! You can BBM me again starting Saturday!
    04-07-11 11:59 AM
    No profiles??? Profiles is a biggie, as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't live without it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-11 12:09 PM
    No profiles??? Profiles is a biggie, as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't live without it.

Yeah, I had to download an app to switch my phone to the equivalent of Phone Calls Only when I plugged it in to charge. Ridiculous.
    04-07-11 12:10 PM
    Welcome back!

I've used BBs for 4-5 years. Last year I also had a bit of an itch and tried an Android. Well, that lasted about 6 days before I went back to my 9700!

As you said, the bells and whistles are fun for a few days, but when it comes down to it, I also prefer simple and what I need the most is a good phone, email, texting, and preferrably, BBM.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Bold Touch.....like the Torch 2 as well.

P.S. oh yeah, and Profiles ROCK!!!! So does BEDSIDE MODE!!!
    04-07-11 12:22 PM
    Na, I looked at the Torch when it came out. My quick appraisal was the the touchscreen was crap and the keyboard a pain to use. Otherwise, yeah, I'm the same as you. My android phone is a fun toy, but my BB took care of all the important stuff.

It annoys me that people keep clamoring about how RIM needs to "catch up" to Google and Apple. If you're talking about entertainment devices, then yes. But if you're talking about premier business/personal organization devices, they are LIGHTYEARS ahead. Apples and oranges.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    04-07-11 12:28 PM
    Na, I looked at the Torch when it came out. My quick appraisal was the the touchscreen was crap and the keyboard a pain to use. Otherwise, yeah, I'm the same as you. My android phone is a fun toy, but my BB took care of all the important stuff.

It annoys me that people keep clamoring about how RIM needs to "catch up" to Google and Apple. If you're talking about entertainment devices, then yes. But if you're talking about premier business/personal organization devices, they are LIGHTYEARS ahead. Apples and oranges.
    Totally agree with you!
    04-07-11 12:29 PM
    The Aria is a POS. Try a high end Android device next time.
    04-07-11 12:29 PM
    The Aria is a POS. Try a high end Android device next time.
    This is true. I've been eying the Inspire 4G, but, again, it doesn't solve my keyboard or battery list needs. It also is one giant m*****f*****, like all the other awesome, high-end android phones (EVO, Droid, Atrix, et al.). The 9700's form factor is 100% perfect, IMHO.
    04-07-11 12:31 PM
    ... my BB took care of all the important stuff.

Hear, hear! Except I don't even consider "entertainment devices."

04-07-11 12:31 PM
    I have the Tour with trackball issues. My contract is up and I want to upgrade. I've researched all the Androids and Iphone but as you've stated, I want my smartphone to do what BB does best: email, texting, phone calls (you mean people still talk on the phone), and battery life. My Tour will go 3 days or more but I just put it on the charger every night and have never had a battery issue. My BB choices are limited with Verizon but the keyboard is the best. I have an Ipad for all the games and apps but I can still type faster on my BB.
    04-07-11 12:36 PM

I have used an iPhone, but I have not used an Android enough to know all of its advantages and shortcomings personally. But I do know what I use my phone for, and I know what I have with a Berry, and it suits my needs perfectly. It makes no sense at all to someone like myself to leave that for something with features and benefits I know I'll never take advantage of.

Anyway, welcome back. I think those new devices you listed are going to be well worth the wait. And I don't think the Dakota is all that ugly ...
    04-07-11 12:37 PM
    Ive been back and forth, and back and forth many times.

I find advantages / disadvantages to both, but at the end of the day I am faster for communication on my BlackBerry, which is what keeps me on it.
    04-07-11 12:39 PM
    Ah ... about the 'ugly' Dakota:

BlackBerry Bold Touch hands-on! | BGR
    04-07-11 01:11 PM
    Ive been back and forth, and back and forth many times.

I find advantages / disadvantages to both, but at the end of the day I am faster for communication on my BlackBerry, which is what keeps me on it.
    Same here I tried the Evo 3 times and cameback to the berry for good! I'm with everyone else on this thread. BB just get the job done! Ohh and I dont have to worry about Battery life
    04-07-11 04:50 PM
    as far as i'm concerned, androids will be a fly by night deal. everyone is trying them and only a few are sticking around. bb will eventually regain the top spot for "smartphones" and not "playphones"
    04-07-11 08:56 PM
    I've been in the same position as a few others in this thread. When I switched from T-Mobile to Sprint, I decided to abandon ship and got an Evo. I'll admit that there are plenty of things that Android does better than BlackBerry (especially on the Evo's 4.3" screen), like watching videos or browsing the web.

The issue is that the things Android did better than BlackBerry are things I rarely do with my phone. Most of my phone usage goes toward messaging. Even with that big touchscreen and plenty of different keyboards to choose from, none of them could come close to comparing to the physical keyboard of a BB.
    04-07-11 09:12 PM
    I have tried and tried and tried to make Android and iPhone work as well as Blackberries for the things that are important to me. It can't be done.

I need the Precision of a trackpad or similar and a One-Hand use Qwerty Keyboard.

I need to Sync Email, Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks with Outlook, over the wire to BES preferably.
    My years of Memos from my Palm need to come with me and be available even if the internet is not.

I need shortcut Text Substitution and a fast way to enter the current date into a Calendar note

I need fast, reliable Email.

I need good quality Phone calls, fast, easy to find somebody in my huge contact list.

I need copy and paste, easy to use and precise.

I need Google Search and occasional web site viewing.

I need a customizable Database that syncs with a Windows app.

I need a Vehicle Fuel and Maintenance tracking app.

I need a Shopping List app that can import and handle my 550 item list.

I need a replaceable battery and good battery life.

I need it to work on Verizon Wireless and Global also.

I want a big touch screen
    I want to play a game or two
    I want to listen to music sometimes
    I want to check Facebook and maybe twitter on occasion
    I want an eBay App

Only one brand of device meets all of the Needs and most of the Wants.
    04-07-11 10:00 PM
    Totally agree. I've always had the itch to switch to an iPhone or try out an Android... But I'm still here with my Bold because I can live without the things iPhone 4/Android offer, but I cannot live without the things a BlackBerry offers!
    04-07-11 10:45 PM
    Exactly why I switched to Blackberry from Android
    04-07-11 11:21 PM
    I bought the Atrix on impulse. I've had it now for over a week, close to two. I've put it through its paces, and it is a very nice device. But the quirkiness of the platform will keep it from being my main device.
    I will keep it as a secondary device, on a second line, as an entertainment device. For YouTube videos, it kills the Blackberry.
    But notifications, mail management, profiles. keyboard and battery are those things that matter more to me, and those are things that I find superior on the BB. It would drive me insane if I only had the Atrix and I would have to be always on top of how much battery I have left. The Atrix almost gave 24 hours over the weekend while on WiFi, but the thing is that I don't get WiFi on the train, in the car, at work....so during my work week WiFi on the Atrix is useless for me.

I won't return the Atrix, but for me BB is king.
    04-08-11 04:00 AM
    I tore down my 9700 tonight and replaced the keyboard and trackpad. Now rocking 6.0.0.461. It's good to be back!

04-09-11 02:08 AM
    I had a 9000 before going to the Captivate, and for the first month its been ok, the browser is nice and so are the apps. But I am having second thoughts about Android. I find myself missing features about BlackBerry.

(1) Battery Life: my Captivate just doesn't hold a charge for long enough, I hate having to charge multiple times a day.
    (2) E-Mail Push: I have a GMail and Yahoo account, and the support for yahoo is severely lacking on Android, which is a pain. Plus, I also miss the unified inbox for email, text, bbm, twitter, and facebook. Having to use seperate apps for this is a pain
    (3) Keyboard: As cool as the Captivate is, I find myself missing a real keyboard, and no matter what virtual one I download from the market it just doesnt suffice.

So as a result of these factors, I am thinking of going back to BlackBerry, probably either a Torch or 9700, any one here have a preference?
    05-18-11 10:00 AM
    Well, here's an update:

The keyboard on my 9700 broke again, so I had to go back to my Aria. I'm finally getting used to typing on the touchscreen, though the small size of the Aria is still a problem. I think I may get the Samsung Galaxy S II this summer. Thing is a beast.
    05-18-11 10:10 AM
    I had a 9000 before going to the Captivate, and for the first month its been ok, the browser is nice and so are the apps. But I am having second thoughts about Android. I find myself missing features about BlackBerry.

(1) Battery Life: my Captivate just doesn't hold a charge for long enough, I hate having to charge multiple times a day.
    (2) E-Mail Push: I have a GMail and Yahoo account, and the support for yahoo is severely lacking on Android, which is a pain. Plus, I also miss the unified inbox for email, text, bbm, twitter, and facebook. Having to use seperate apps for this is a pain
    (3) Keyboard: As cool as the Captivate is, I find myself missing a real keyboard, and no matter what virtual one I download from the market it just doesnt suffice.

So as a result of these factors, I am thinking of going back to BlackBerry, probably either a Torch or 9700, any one here have a preference?
    I have a Tour and a Torch and prefer the Tour

05-18-11 10:17 AM
    I have a Tour and a Torch and prefer the Tour

What was bad about the Torch to you?
    05-18-11 10:20 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD