I disagree. Google Photos is brilliant and nothing else is needed. I also use QuickPic and love it. Why are people so quick to judge apps just because they are Android?
    Wow. If I was to Judge android I would not buy a priv in the first place and I have been an android user as long as I remember. You have your own thoughts and I have mine. Plus why don't you swipe with the keyboard to change photos in QuickPic?
    Moreover if Google photos was so brilliant why the need for QuickPic.
    10-13-16 08:25 AM
    They're not eager to reinvent the wheel outside of their strong suits of PIM and device security, which would explain why they're content using the stock equivalent for most of the OS instead of building their own. And since this is Android, you can easily find replacements for the default apps with just a little bit of effort; try Piktures, Solid Explorer and Habit Browser, respectively.
    For me it's more a matter of SECURITY (laughable, probably due to Verizon's negligence). Too many 3rd party apps that call home and want access to too many aspects of my phone and therefore, my life. Is BB to be trusted more? Well, while maybe not necessarily, they are one entity rather than a dozen small players from places like China and Russia, the US (for those elsewhere) and who knows where.

That's why I'd be happier with BB developed apps.
    10-13-16 08:51 AM
    A noob question but will just releasing a gallery app (Pictures) a music player and a file manager be as much as effort as touch wiz?
    I might be wrong but I feel BlackBerry can release these 3 apps.
    The reason being I personally am paranoid sharing all my files, pictures etc with 3rd party apps. I'd rather trust BlackBerry with it. Just my opinion though

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    YES! There you have it!
    10-13-16 08:54 AM
    Actually there is, it just sucks lol.

And don't expect a photo app or browser to come from BlackBerry, that would be an incredible waste of time. You might get a file manager though but only because people like you are stuck on the 'there is no file manager out of the box' misconception.
    Ahem, but do you have a Verizon Priv stuck on Lollipop with NO file manager out of the box???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-13-16 08:56 AM
    The advantage to releasing BB branded is for PKB users as BlackBerry will build in the shortcuts, whereas third party devs couldn't be bothered to add that for such a small base. For me, the biggie is a BlackBerry browser with PKB shortcuts. I use Chrome, Habit and Yandex at the moment. Currently my favourite is Yandex with the bottom oriented location bar, built in Reader support and Zen recommendations.
    ardakca likes this.
    10-13-16 08:58 AM
    I disagree. Google Photos is brilliant and nothing else is needed. I also use QuickPic and love it. Why are people so quick to judge apps just because they are Android?
    Google Photos suddenly sent me a message saying that THIS PICTURE (one I had taken hours before) should be shared with THE WORLD. It was my photo and they thought it would go good with other photos of Greenlake (near my home). I found that very intrusive. (Now, I have shared photos with YOU but you are a friend) Shocking actually. So unless I'm careful and figure out how to turn off this Permission and that Permission, they are perusing my photos and my locale. I prefer to have BB dealing with my photos. Again, that might be misplaced confidence.

This is the same Google that believes it has the right to scan every book ever printed and now wants every photo ever taken! Hrumph!
    zephyr613 likes this.
    10-13-16 09:05 AM
    Google Photos suddenly sent me a message saying that THIS PICTURE (one I had taken hours before) should be shared with THE WORLD. It was my photo and they thought it would go good with other photos of Greenlake (near my home). I found that very intrusive. (Now, I have shared photos with YOU but you are a friend) Shocking actually. So unless I'm careful and figure out how to turn off this Permission and that Permission, they are perusing my photos and my locale. I prefer to have BB dealing with my photos. Again, that might be misplaced confidence.

This is the same Google that believes it has the right to scan every book ever printed and now wants every photo ever taken! Hrumph!
    Exactly.
    FF22 and YesAndNo like this.
    10-13-16 10:01 AM

Did it share the photo or just ask you if you wanted too? If you were given the option, then I don't see the problem.

I've found Google is only as intrusive... as you enable it to be. Android Central has a number of great post on how to work with Google Photos... it's really all in the settings (both on the phone and in your Google Photos online account). And in how to unGoogle your phone if desired.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-13-16 10:21 AM
    Did it share the photo or just ask you if you wanted too? If you were given the option, then I don't see the problem.

I've found Google is only as intrusive... as you enable it to be. Android Central has a number of great post on how to work with Google Photos... it's really all in the settings (both on the phone and in your Google Photos online account). And in how to unGoogle your phone if desired.
    It did ask. But I was surprised and not at all happy that some computer was scanning my photos and the location where they were taken. I did not appreciate even being asked about a photo that I took. I don't recall BB doing that under its Photo App in prior OS's.

I'll have to hit Android Central and look for those specific articles.
    10-13-16 12:30 PM
    For me it's more a matter of SECURITY (laughable, probably due to Verizon's negligence). Too many 3rd party apps that call home and want access to too many aspects of my phone and therefore, my life. Is BB to be trusted more? Well, while maybe not necessarily, they are one entity rather than a dozen small players from places like China and Russia, the US (for those elsewhere) and who knows where.

That's why I'd be happier with BB developed apps.
    One entity that's suspiciously buddy-buddy with the powers that be.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-13-16 01:29 PM
    One entity that's suspiciously buddy-buddy with the powers that be.
    ?
    10-13-16 03:18 PM
    It did ask. But I was surprised and not at all happy that some computer was scanning my photos and the location where they were taken. I did not appreciate even being asked about a photo that I took. I don't recall BB doing that under its Photo App in prior OS's.

I'll have to hit Android Central and look for those specific articles.
    Perhaps there is a privacy setting related to Google Photos that would prevent it from reviewing photos and making those suggestions.

When I got to the last setup screen for installing Windows 10, I opted for the fine print option at the bottom of the page and went through three pages of privacy related settings of which I think I agreed with only one. There were a lot of "let Windows suggest this and that" options.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-13-16 05:52 PM
    ?
    BlackBerry has a 'special arrangement' with the Five Eyes, an intelligence alliance between Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK and USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes
    10-13-16 06:38 PM
    BlackBerry has a 'special arrangement' with the Five Eyes, an intelligence alliance between Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK and USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes
    Governments and commercial companies are two different things.
    10-14-16 01:13 AM

Do you have a picture of the messages specifically asking you to 'share your pictures with the world'?

I just got back from a business trip to Quebec City last week, and the only notification I got from Photos was that it automatically created an album for me, based on the date pictures were taken.

I could share the album through normal means after that.

Nexus 6p 64gb
    Android 7.0 (PureNexus ROM)
    ElementalX Kernel
    10-16-16 11:55 PM
    Do you have a picture of the messages specifically asking you to 'share your pictures with the world'?

I just got back from a business trip to Quebec City last week, and the only notification I got from Photos was that it automatically created an album for me, based on the date pictures were taken.

I could share the album through normal means after that.

Nexus 6p 64gb
    Android 7.0 (PureNexus ROM)
    ElementalX Kernel
    Some might not consider this too terrible or maybe flattered by Google's computers interest in my photo. I found it too much. Obviously, something was screening my photos and even identifying where I was. My full name was in the screen that I captured.

BlackBerry Album, File Manager and Browser-googlenag.jpg
    10-17-16 12:26 AM
41 12