After reading this thread here:
    hzzp://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/139162-using-gps-mp3-feaures-airplane.html
    I had a couple of questions. Mostly a personal experience kind of thing from people who have successfully used a BlackBerry on an aircraft with the radios off. For starters, I am mostly worried about flight attendants seeing it and causing a fuss since it looks like a cell phone and they might not realize the radios can be powered off. Has anyone had that happen and how did you handle? Any one else is more than welcome to chime in recommendations as well please.

Also, how many people have thrown caution to the wind and broken FAA rules and just left their BlackBerry on full capability, or even more daring used it?
    07-10-08 02:00 AM
    I forgot where I read it, but is has been proven that cell phones don't interfere with the aircraft. As for the flight attendant, they might cause a problem, they might not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-08 02:05 AM
    I've never had a problem, once the plane's off the ground, pop in the headphones and play a movie or music, nobody's ever said a word.
    I have popped the radio on once or twice to see if you can get a signal, got a signal and dialtone, but data was too flaky to text until lower altitudes.

07-10-08 02:52 AM
    i've never had a problem. i only forsee an issue if you had it up to your ear and you were talking into it.
    07-10-08 04:12 AM
    I have never had any problems using phone on the aircraft with the radio turned off I think most flight attendants either assume you turned the radio off or just don't care. Since you are highly unlikely to get a signal at altitude it doesn't make any sense to leave the radio on, but there are times I have forgotten to turn it off and again no issues.

07-10-08 07:20 AM
    Practically all cellphones are airplane safe. In fact mythbusters found only one cell phone effect cockpit instruments and it was like really really old. Nobody today would be using such an old phone. I believe most cell phones have an airplane mode. I never read what exactly that feature does. Anyways PDAs are not uncommon to see on airplanes so I would be surprised if anyone said anything except perhaps if you were talking to someone on it. You can probably even text if you want.

07-10-08 07:21 AM
    I flew from New York to Norway once and forgot to turn my phone off. I live to tell the story.
    07-10-08 07:35 AM
    High Altitude + High Speed = Bad Data connection
    07-10-08 07:37 AM
    High Altitude + High Speed = Bad Data connection
    Which reminds me. I brought my Garmin Navigator on board to see if I could get a signal and set my max speed. It worked!
    07-10-08 07:40 AM
    used by berry entire time on plane with wireless off and no problems. If they say something tell them it is in flight mode with antenna off
    07-10-08 07:49 AM
    most planes have phones in them now to use too
    07-10-08 07:50 AM
    Which reminds me. I brought my Garmin Navigator on board to see if I could get a signal and set my max speed. It worked!
    Yeah!! You can take GPS on aircraft... that is no issue And it is cool, from what I hear.

I did not have a GPS until recently, so have not taken it on flight. My friend's Garmin has a max speed of some ridiculous amount because he took it on flight!!
    07-10-08 07:51 AM
    I have never had a problem with using a Blackberry on a plane, with the radio off
    07-10-08 07:53 AM
    Nope won't say anything. Last time I flew from Seattle to Las Vegas everytime I tried to turn the radio on I had no service. But playing with it was no issue.

07-10-08 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD