http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...130000687.html

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Sep 11, 2014) - BlackBerry Limited (BBRY)(BB.TO), a global leader in mobile communications, announced today that it has acquired Movirtu, a provider of virtual identity solutions for mobile operators that allows multiple numbers to be active on a single device. This improves device management in bring-your-own device (BYOD) and corporate owned personally enabled (COPE) environments. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

With Movirtu's Virtual SIM platform, both a business number and a personal number can be used on a single mobile device, with separate billing for voice, data and messaging usage on each number. As a result, employees can switch between business and personal profiles easily without carrying multiple devices or SIM cards, and charges are appropriately billed to the company and the employee. Additionally, in conjunction with the BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) platform, enterprise customers will be able to apply IT policies to the business number without impacting the usability of the device for personal use.

"In a BYOD and COPE world, there remain a number of efficiency and convenience challenges facing enterprises, employees and mobile operators alike," said John Chen, Executive Chairman and CEO, BlackBerry. "The acquisition of Movirtu complements our core strategy of providing additional value added services, and it will leverage our key assets, including our BES platform, along with our existing global infrastructure which is connected to a large number of mobile operators around the world."

The acquisition complements BlackBerry's Secure Work Space, BlackBerry Balance and other partitioning technologies, which give employees the freedom and privacy they want for their personal use while delivering the security and management needed for business use. With Movirtu, employees can switch between profiles for calls, data and messages, while on their home network and in roaming situations.

"BlackBerry is the best partner to help us carry forward our vision of redefining the mobile experience by introducing virtual identities," said Carsten Brinkschulte, CEO, Movirtu. "We address the challenges of BYOD and COPE by providing our unique and innovative technology solution through BlackBerry's existing relationships with mobile operators and customers around the world."

The new Virtual SIM capabilities will be offered by BlackBerry through mobile operators to provide customers with multiple identity based service offerings. BlackBerry will support the deployment of Movirtu technology by mobile operators on all major smartphone operating systems.

About BlackBerry

A global leader in mobile communications, BlackBerry� revolutionized the mobile industry when it was introduced in 1999. Today, BlackBerry aims to inspire the success of our millions of customers around the world by continuously pushing the boundaries of mobile experiences. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, BlackBerry operates offices in North America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America. The Company trades under the ticker symbols "BB" on the Toronto Stock Exchange and "BBRY" on the NASDAQ. For more information, visit Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com.

About Movirtu

Headquartered in London, and with a regional office India, Movirtu develops and markets innovative identity solutions for mobile operators in developed and developing markets. Movirtu's patented Virtual SIM platform, which allows multiple numbers to be active on a single standard SIM card, enables mobile operators to deploy a range of compelling service offerings. For more information, please visit Movirtu.
    09-11-14 08:45 AM
    "Our vision is to redefine the mobile experience by introducing virtual identities, enabling innovative solutions which help our mobile operator customers to differentiate with valuable service offerings.

Movirtu's Virtual SIM platform enables multiple numbers to be active on a single standard SIM card. Our server platform is based on existing mobile network technology and when integrated in the operator network, provides the basis for a variety of innovative service offerings.

Movirtu WorkLife
    Bill Split and Business Numbers for BYOD
    The Movirtu WorkLife solution enables mobile operators to provide the missing piece of the BYOD puzzle - it provides corporate IDs for BYOD devices. Learn more...

Movirtu ManyMe
    Multiple Numbers on any SIM
    Movirtu ManyMe solution enables mobile operators to offer multiple numbers on standard SIMs, offering an innovative solution to end-users while shielding users from competitors. Learn more...

Movirtu Share
    Phone Numbers for the 'Un-Phoned'
    Movirtu Share enables operators to offer a low-cost virtual SIM card to users at the base of the pyramid, extending market share in uncharted territory. Learn more..."

BlackBerry Acquires Movirtu to Improve Adoption of BYOD and COPE-img_20140911_160206.png

Posted via CB10
    undone likes this.
    09-11-14 09:05 AM
    Does this mean a single device that can have make and receive calls on more than one SIM (one real, one 'virtual') and therefore REALLY make BYOD rock?

This is amazing if it allows "multiple virtual SIMs from different networks". If I can use a Rogers SIM provided by my employer, and my own virtual SIM on Virgin Mobile (or vice versa), then BYOD isn't so offensive to me. If it doesn't work with different carriers, hopefully it would at least allow a Rogers corporate account and a Fido account (owned by Rogers, lower cost service) for the personal side.

Suddenly, the iPhone 6+ has a little less appeal to me (and I expect to a lot of enterprise customers!)

I didn't know about this technology: great acquisition, BlackBerry!

This + Balance is a game changer if the implementation can be taken to the logical extreme.
    09-11-14 09:52 AM
    OMG another smart acquisition.

Splitting bills, genius!!

So happy to be a Shareholder.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 10:02 AM
    Very good move by BlackBerry. Keep moving.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 10:26 AM
    Will this be possible to use even if your company is not using BES10? I want to byod my z30 to my work, but the company is using Good, and I do not want to mix work, personal data on my phone. I currently have work provided iPhone carried with my z30 personal device.

If the virtual dual sim helps me to separate on one device, with or without bes, this will be big.

Flicked out via Zed30
    theRock1975 likes this.
    09-11-14 10:55 AM
    Will this be possible to use even if your company is not using BES10? I want to byod my z30 to my work, but the company is using Good, and I do not want to mix work, personal data on my phone. I currently have work provided iPhone carried with my z30 personal device.

If the virtual dual sim helps me to separate on one device, with or without bes, this will be big.

Flicked out via Zed30
    Probably not, that's the whole point of acquiring things that will differentiate your service from direct competitors. You have to remember that BES adoption is what really matters to BlackBerry at this point.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 11:50 AM
    This is awesome. I would love to have this feature on my phone.
    09-11-14 12:21 PM
    Apart from the obvious benefits from this acquisition (two lines on a single Sim, splitting corporate and personal expenses etc etc), I also notice that BB is spending money. Things seem to be a whole lot better than one year ago.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.3.0.1154
    09-11-14 01:57 PM
    Apart from the obvious benefits from this acquisition (two lines on a single Sim, splitting corporate and personal expenses etc etc), I also notice that BB is spending money. Things seem to be a whole lot better than one year ago.

To add, spending moneys on specifically enterprise/business related companies that continue to enhance there offerings. And for investors and businesses reinforces some of the ideals JC has outline. Gives BB a more believable story.
    09-11-14 02:12 PM
    To add, spending moneys on specifically enterprise/business related companies that continue to enhance there offerings. And for investors and businesses reinforces some of the ideals JC has outline. Gives BB a more believable story.
    Fully agree. The focus is squarely on enterprise. Deep inside, against my better judgment, I still wish for this feature to be available for the general consumer.

09-11-14 02:23 PM
    Have to wonder if the SecurSmart (I think that's right) component will play into this as well. Or not, but its nice to see continual investment in that parts that matter.
    09-11-14 03:23 PM
    We are singing from the same hymnbook here. SecuSmart definitely forms part of the corporate focus and will in no way benefit the average consumer. It underlines the strategic drive for the enterprise space. As a consumer (and corporate citizen), to me it is very clear that BlackBerry is going back to the roots. The significance of the latest acquisition will only be evident over time. The procurement of the QNX platform several years back only now starts to pay dividends.

09-11-14 04:31 PM
    Actually this is'nt just an enterprise feature.As an all round package its incredible.Go watch the youtube videos these guys features are actually the future of mobile.This thing does alot!! With this software they just killed dual sim phones.Companys can save alot of money NOT MAKING dual sim phones if they can get this software.

Remember that newly created division at BB.Yeah those guys I dont know in the future they might consider licensing this for I dont know �$�$� it does come with patents this stuff afterall.This already works on other platforms.Movirtu already have partnerships with networks add BB already global rapport with networks. There's only money to be made.

You add paratek antenna that is said to pick up nearly every network band.Removing the need for BB to create multiple phone variants.aLot of cost saving made.Cost saving maybe some Companys might want to start buying BB hardwares.It will save them money after all.

This is also an actual platform it can be done on laptops,FB this things beastly.This definetely has to be a feature built in for BB devices as differentiator.BB can then license the platform to carriers and add as BES feature.
    09-11-14 06:18 PM
    FTA:
    "The new Virtual SIM capabilities will be offered by BlackBerry through mobile operators to provide customers with multiple identity based service offerings. BlackBerry will support the deployment of Movirtu technology by mobile operators on all major smartphone operating systems."

Very neat! I hope it comes soon.
    09-11-14 06:25 PM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Another brilliant move by BlackBerry ceo Chen.... great confidence that he will revive the Brand.... innovation... focus... quality.... getting things done...

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 06:41 PM

They haven't stopped spending

QNX
    NewBay
    Paratek
    Scoreloop
    TAT
    Secusmart

All in the last few years.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 07:04 PM
    John Chen is in beast mode right now!!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 08:22 PM
    09-11-14 11:29 PM
    Can Apple COPE with this?

BlackBerry is getting it's share anyway...
    ... who's the real smart(phone) chen,... ahem then?

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    09-12-14 01:22 AM
    I already have 2 phones and soon to be 3 phone numbers. This cannot come sooner
    09-12-14 01:56 AM
    Smart move... as there are many companies that want to get out of the smartphone supply business and many employees that don't want to carry that old corporate devices....
    09-12-14 07:06 AM
    I already have 2 phones and soon to be 3 phone numbers. This cannot come sooner
    Hopefully this is built in free with the BB10OS. And then others have to pay for it through carrier and coporate phones. Would be a great selling point.
    velkod likes this.
    09-12-14 08:31 AM
    Does Android already have a virtual dual SIM solution? I recall hearing about this somewhere...
    If so, seems like BlackBerry is just trying to keep up...

Flicked out via Zed30
    09-12-14 12:31 PM
    Hahahahhaa this guy ^^^
    09-12-14 05:29 PM
36 12