I just read an article where they mention that Blackberry is pricing their new BB7 device at $280. I cannot believe my eyes! I am losing all faith in Blackberry and their management. How can you price a phone with 1 core, 512 ROM and a 10 year old OS at that price?

The newest Lumia phone has better specs, a modern OS (WP) and is priced at 150$. This is where BB7 needs to compete. They can even lose money on the hardware, but make this money up in BIS. Blackberry has an advantage over all other OEMs, where they collect service fees for each BB7 device that is sold. This should allow them to outprice the competition and still make up the money in service revenue. Why they aren't doing this is beyond me!

BlackBerry's New Phone Is Its Most Outrageous - Forbes

Into Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    Last edited by koolrosh; 08-28-13 at 01:08 AM.
    08-17-13 01:15 AM
    It's not about the Specs. It's about the software.

Posted via a ZeDex or PlayaBook
    08-17-13 01:33 AM

Exactly. That delicious outdated legacy OS is clearly superior.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 01:43 AM

If it were about the OS BlackBerry should be paying for the mazochists who are willing to live with their junk old OS (mostly in Asia, I bet.)

This price is a joke, it clearly shows just how shockingly incompetent, out of touch are the.mgmt, what kind of hopelessly clueless idiots running this company (into the ground.)

Sent from my LT30p using CB Forums mobile app
    a1s2d3f4g5 and anon(5828343) like this.
    08-17-13 02:43 AM
    Par for the course fellas...move on

Fired from my Z10
    Admorris likes this.
    08-17-13 03:05 AM
    This is why there is so much hostility towards BB...this EXACT example. There are plenty of people actively hoping BB goes under because of moves like this...milking every cent out of BB faithful, all the while with their head stuck in the sand.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    08-17-13 06:25 AM
    Not really any news here.

BlackBerry believes in premium pricing, while reissuing the very same OS that caused them to lose their subscribers, their profitability, their market value, their credibility, and most likely, their independence.

Keep Moving.

Must be part of some global Kill Our Company conspiracy.
    08-17-13 06:34 AM

Yea right. Next...

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 06:36 AM
    Doesn't every new phone start off high before the price starts to drop?
    Not saying I agree, but this always seems to happen.
    08-17-13 07:36 AM
    More proof that there was no media conspiracy against the company.

Blackberry has no one to blame for the mess their in but themselves. Obviously nothing has changed.
    08-17-13 07:51 AM
    Oh my. Maybe now people will stop calling the critics "trolls" and "haters". Seriously, this is just sad and it can't be blamed on the US media this time.

A Nokia Ashia = $80
    A Nokia Lumia 521 = $129
    A LG Lucid 2 (complete with the same processor that is in the Z10 and Android Jelly bean) = $249
    A BlackBerry 9720 = $280
    A Nexus 4 = $299 - only 20 bucks more!

BlackBerry has proven yet again that they simply cannot create competitive devices. The loyal apologists can try to blame whoever they want, but this is more proof that the blame goes squarely to BlackBerry.

They don't get it, maybe BlackBerry still thinks their devices are hot and that consumers will pay a premium for them, but I don't see that happening. Who in their right mind would pay $280 for that phone? It's absurd pricing.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    08-17-13 08:04 AM
    Wow $280. And the Q5 at $400. When is BlackBerry going to learn that they are no longer the Ferrari of the smartphone world and few will pat premiums for their standard line of phones? Apple owns that at the moment. The Z10 should be $400, the Q5 probably about $250, and this phone should be at most $150. They would probably be moving 2 to 3 times or more the number of units at this pricing. Once they rebuild the name brand then they can start raising the pricing back up.

Posted via CB10
    robkd, Roo Zilla, szlevi and 3 others like this.
    08-17-13 08:17 AM
    Blackberry is suffering from the Sony ailment - where they think their stuff don't stink and charge way too high a price.

Telus has the Lumia 520 pre-paid at $119 now.

Best bang for the buck phone on the market by a long shot. Great phone.
    It's no wonder Nokia has sold over 4 million of these bad boys.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 08-18-13 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Edited language.
    08-17-13 08:19 AM
    ...and this phone should be at most $150.
    Still overpriced when you can get the Lumia 520 for $119 at Telus... or $99 at Amazon.com.

The 9720 should be $50 max.
    08-17-13 08:23 AM
    That's the problem.. BB isn't "thinking" at all lol.
    08-17-13 08:40 AM
    This is the only thing that makes sense:

The 9270 will be a Collector's Edition phone with a limited numbered run.

It will be called the BlackBerry Legacy and you will be able to order it in three styles. The back panel will come with stylish gold trimmed engraved signatures and you can choose from one of 1) Mike Lazaridis, 2) Jim Balsillie, or 3) belfastdispatcher
    08-17-13 09:04 AM
    The 9720 looks like an updated Curve 9360 spec-wise. I come from a region where BB is very strong especially with the 9320. I have a Curve 9360 and sad to say that I will not be willing to buy this at that price. It's like something in between the Curve 9360 and Bold 9900. Although I understand BB's reasoning why they price it at that as they don't want to lower their margins, but I don't get how this will help their current predicament. They have enough cash, so I think they can spare sacrificing margins for this phone.

I have to admit, it's priced similarly to the 9360, so I guess they plan the 9720 to replace the 9360?
    08-17-13 09:30 AM
    The 9270 will be a Collector's Edition phone with a limited numbered run.

It will be called the BlackBerry Legacy and you will be able to order it in three styles. The back panel will come with stylish gold trimmed engraved signatures and you can choose from one of 1) Mike Lazaridis, 2) Jim Balsillie, or 3) belfastdispatcher
    You forgot 4) hurds.
    08-17-13 10:06 AM
    The 9720 looks like an updated Curve 9360 spec-wise. I come from a region where BB is very strong especially with the 9320. I have a Curve 9360 and sad to say that I will not be willing to buy this at that price. It's like something in between the Curve 9360 and Bold 9900. Although I understand BB's reasoning why they price it at that as they don't want to lower their margins, but I don't get how this will help their current predicament. They have enough cash, so I think they can spare sacrificing margins for this phone.

I have to admit, it's priced similarly to the 9360, so I guess they plan the 9720 to replace the 9360?
    At this point I must say that in the light of recent news I think it's more than obvious that TH is clearly more interested in selling BB in pump&dump style and grab his astonishingly high exit money (it is unusually high for such an incompetent, lousy chief executive, especially after such a major blunder like the royally screwed-up, idiotic rolling launch of the BB10 platform and devices) than stabilizing BB's market share slide, even at price of sacrificing margins (which would be the OBVIOUS step at this point, as you correctly pointed out, at least for old OS-based devices.

Sent from my LT30p using CB Forums mobile app
    08-17-13 10:42 AM
    It's no wonder Nokia has sold over 4 million of these bad boys.
    I do not know what the margins on the 520 are, but Nokia did lose $150 million last quarter. In other words, I am not sure it is the business model that BlackBerry should be emulating. I appreciate that BlackBerry's financials are not better, but I highly doubt the path back to profitability for BlackBerry at the low end of the market for BB. BlackBerry can't compete on price alone.

Posted via CB10
    pcguy514 likes this.
    08-17-13 10:50 AM
    I do not know what the margins on the 520 are, but Nokia did lose $150 million last quarter.

Posted via CB10
    Out of $150 million of Nokia's losses, 2/3 is in Maps division. Their handset division lost only $40 million.
    08-17-13 12:20 PM
    I do not know what the margins on the 520 are, but Nokia did lose $150 million last quarter. In other words, I am not sure it is the business model that BlackBerry should be emulating. I appreciate that BlackBerry's financials are not better, but I highly doubt the path back to profitability for BlackBerry at the low end of the market for BB. BlackBerry can't compete on price alone.
    I'm not necessarily saying that BB should follow that model, but what I am saying is that this is how Microsoft (with the help of Nokia) are getting people on board WP8. Kind of like a loss-leader. Many will have invested time and money in the WP8 ecosystem, that when they're due for an upgrade - they'll probably grab another WP8 device, and it will probably be a higher end one. The 520 just "gets them in the door" while at the same time given them a fully functioning powerful smartphone that are only missing a few features.

This just means that Blackberry can't compete on any level now. They're being shut out every where.
    08-17-13 12:22 PM
    Probably BlackBerry already gave up with smartphones and It's not trying to increase volume, fight for the third place, etc.
    The price is high to extract everything possible from people that is locked in with BBOS: Enterprises, Governments, die hard fans, general public where BIS is needed.
    08-17-13 12:51 PM
    Most expensive (spinning) clock on earth
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-17-13 11:31 PM
    OS7 is still everywhere, with the price BlackBerry wants to make 7's price lower than bb10. But it didn't work

Channel : C000FA856 | Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1047
    08-17-13 11:37 PM
68 123