Does anyone have a similar issue to this?

Geotagging works fine with Device GPS (when it gets satellite signal, which is only on a clear day on top of a hill).

With a bluetooth GPS receiver, things get weird.
    Pairing is fine. Data over bluetooth (serial) is enabled. I know this because...
    Maps works well (it tells me where I am, updates every second with my current bearing and speed).
    'Update GPS' works almost instantly (the GPS device keeps a lock at all times when powered on). I get my coords, the number of sats, the accuracy. All looks good.

Then there is Geotagging.
    On entering camera mode the familiar (too familiar) "Finding current location" message is shown, for about a second. Then the dot turns green - for a split second. I know the Blackberry has been told by the device where it is, the LED indicators on both devices flash when this happens.

But after this split second the "Finding current location" message returns and the Blackberry makes no further attempt to contact the bluetooth GPS. The nice green dot turns grey again. If I switch back to maps, lo and behold, within a second it's tracking my location and movement again. But if I go back to camera the Blackberry reverts to "sorry Dave, I can't do that" mode.

It's silly and bizarre. The GPS works wonderfully and is nice and accurate. Maps works. Only camera+geotagging doesn't work. Argh!

On a camera related note, I find that viewing a picture on the media card, then pressing the camera button, causes a crash almost 100% of the time upon exiting camera mode. It's flaky stuff like this that makes me hate the Blackberry device.
    03-10-14 01:08 PM
    Do you have the option set for letting the cell towers assist with the GPS?
    03-10-14 11:55 PM
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've tried different combinations of all options on that screen. Location Aiding On/Off, Location Data On/Off. They appear to have no effect.

I was assuming that Location Aiding would only work with the built-in GPS device anyhow, but do not know this for certain.
    03-11-14 01:09 PM
    OK I'm guessing no one uses the geotagging feature of their BB with a bluetooth GPS device.

I've reloaded the OS, downgraded it to the previous version, reset to factory defaults, tried all combinationns of Location settings. Nothing works.

Geotagging only works with the built in GPS, which is inaccurate and won't get a lock under trees, etc.
    03-16-14 07:37 AM
    Nevermind. I won't be buying another BB in future. Lesson learned.

Had no help from official BB support channels either. Just silence.
    03-19-14 03:18 PM
    I'm going to say one last thing before I leave this place.

I have noted with some amusement the outrage expressed toward stores who are turning customers away from BB devices towards other brands. "We must right this wrong, this ignorance! We must promote Blackberry!" is the general response.

Yet when someone has a problem with their device, is clearly having a bad time with it, and wants some help - none of you care enough to post a reply. Apart from that one guy above, who is a mod.

Here's a thought: if you want Blackberry to have a good rep and people to buy more BB devices, why don't you try helping? Even on the official BB support forums most questions are just ignored.

Can you see why maybe that isn't helping this company you all think should be promoted more actively in stores?

Anyway, I don't mean to be an ***, I'm just frustrated with a 9380 that my employer provided, that is probably the single worst device I've ever owned. And that's no exaggeration, because I tend to do my research and buy good quality kit. Shame the procurement dept here don't do the same.

Enjoy your BBs. I hope they work better than mine did.
    03-20-14 04:30 PM