I come up for a new phone in July and was wanting to get a Blackberry phone.
    I'm on the web a lot and constantly check my email as well as looking for multimedia functionality.
    Any suggestions as to which model I should go with?
    My carrier is Verizon.
    02-27-11 03:51 PM
    With verizon I think you have two good devices coming up, the Monaco and the Montana and a few others.

Here is the CDMA BlackBerry Roadmap.

Exclusive: CDMA BlackBerry Roadmap 2011 - Montana, Monaco, Sedona, Malibu, BlackBerry 6.1 Evolution and more! | CrackBerry.com
    02-27-11 04:15 PM
    Sounds like you'll be looking at the Storm 3 when it's released in Q2/3 of this year which matches with your upgrade time fame. If you are very dependent on multimedia, you may want to grab a used 9530/9550 before you upgrade to a newer Blackberry. Blackberrys are not known for being the end all, be all for browsing and other multimedia components.
    02-27-11 04:19 PM
    DawgMan pretty much said it all. Got some nice CDMA devices on the way. If you tend to do more emailing and messaging, you'll want to look at the Montana. If you do more browsing and media (and don't require a physical keyboard), the Monaco will probably be more to your liking. Both are going to have much-improved hardware specs over current BB's and OS 6.1, so these promise to be pretty decent devices. Be prepared to spend some time in the store when they come out to put them through their paces and figure out which will work best for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 04:30 PM
    I'll be the contrarian.

Maybe you've done your research and know a BlackBerry is best for you. But if you haven't done so, I strongly advise that you do. BlackBerrys are different. I think they are great, but you are likely to be disappointed if you haven't determined ahead of time that a BlackBerry will deliver on your top 3 must haves in a smart phone.
    02-27-11 04:35 PM
    At some point Blackberry devices will migrate away from the "OS" as we know it and will begin using QNX. Now that will be sweeeeeeeet.
    02-27-11 04:35 PM
    Cool. Thanks for all the replies.
    Please keep them coming.
    02-27-11 04:57 PM
    I'll be the contrarian.

Maybe you've done your research and know a BlackBerry is best for you. But if you haven't done so, I strongly advise that you do. BlackBerrys are different. I think they are great, but you are likely to be disappointed if you haven't determined ahead of time that a BlackBerry will deliver on your top 3 must haves in a smart phone.
    Good point. I was under the assumption that the OP was pretty much set on a BB. There definitely are better browsing and media phones available if those features are your priorities. But I really think BB's are going to close the gap there (not take the lead, just close the gap) with the next batch of phones due out later this year.

Only one thing to do: go to the store and play. And research. Ok, two things to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 04:57 PM
    With verizon I think you have two good devices coming up, the Monaco and the Montana and a few others.

Here is the CDMA BlackBerry Roadmap.

Exclusive: CDMA BlackBerry Roadmap 2011 - Montana, Monaco, Sedona, Malibu, BlackBerry 6.1 Evolution and more! | CrackBerry.com
    I agree. Wait for one of these devices.
    02-27-11 09:42 PM
    July? July is waay too far out imho to even start this conversation. It is crazy/sad to say but I would not start my examination until I was 30 days out, and the carriers have released or announced their releases for the next 30 days. Smart/Super phones are not like cars. You can see any number of new devices released in a given year. We have a pretty good handle on what BB will have out by then in terms of devices, but nothing in terms of real life performance/price. And we have almost no idea of what Apple will have available, and no idea what Samsung, HTC, Motorola and Nokia are cooking up for Android and WP7 for this summer. Check back in in June and I guarantee you the information and advice you get will be immeasurably more valuable.

Or just start following along.
    02-28-11 11:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD