View Poll Results: How confident are you with BB? What position will they be by May 2011?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll

27 35.06%

14 18.18%

26 33.77%
  • Not even top 5

10 12.99%
    I'm not totally sure on this article but for what its worth BB still #1 in Market share for the last quarter.

Android has taken second with Apple in third.

Please read and comment.

Google Android Surpasses Apple iPhone Market Share -- InformationWeek
    01-10-11 07:48 AM
    I certainly hope BB will be #1 but I really worry about it. For me, Android been very 'good' from my point of view and it has a very good and high possibility to overtake BB. My vote goes to #1 but I really hope BB can be #1 without a doubt.
    01-10-11 07:58 AM
    I think BlackBerry will still be #1 at that point, but the difference between Android and BlackBerry will be by a narrow margin.
    01-10-11 09:23 AM
    How could they be 1 or 2 by May 2011 when Mike L has basically told us that the LTE BB and QNX won't be around anytime soon? May is less than 5 months away and I doubt they will have ANY new, exciting models by then based on what we've heard from RIM themselves. To top it off, with the iPhone coming to Verizon, their sales will dramatically increase in 2011.
    01-10-11 09:47 AM
    How could they be 1 or 2 by May 2011 when Mike L has basically told us that the LTE BB and QNX won't be around anytime soon? May is less than 5 months away and I doubt they will have ANY new, exciting models by then based on what we've heard from RIM themselves. To top it off, with the iPhone coming to Verizon, their sales will dramatically increase in 2011.
    so you dont think the iphone will take more sales from android on vzw than it will BB on vzw?

im not saying which way its going to go, but those that think iPhone coming to vzw will only affect at+t`s userbase, and will only affect vzw BB`s arent thinking it all the way thru.

be interesting to see which way it goes, but i see iPhone on vzw taking more of a chunk out of android than outta BB.
    01-10-11 09:51 AM
    I suspect RIM will fall to 3rd Place in North American market share by May,
    No major releases look to be scheduled out of RIM in the first half of 2011, so New Androids will fill the void left by RIM, and Apple when released on Verizon will be like a new phone release and see a market share surge.
    01-10-11 09:53 AM
    so you dont think the iphone will take more sales from android on vzw than it will BB on vzw?

im not saying which way its going to go, but those that think iPhone coming to vzw will only affect at+t`s userbase, and will only affect vzw BB`s arent thinking it all the way thru.

be interesting to see which way it goes, but i see iPhone on vzw taking more of a chunk out of android than outta BB.
    Oh yes, definitely...they sell more Androids than BBs so naturally iPhone will take a bigger chunk out of Android...but the iPhone will certainly effect the BB sales as well, pulling them down as well.
    01-10-11 10:00 AM
    I just said May is because alot of people believe that at the 'New" BB world or some even RIM should be able to give us some kind of a new device or two.

Just hoping for good news. I have 3 phones waiting for upgrades and am really hoping for something worth while.
    01-10-11 10:04 AM
    There's another way to look at it, people that buy blackberrys usually want a physical qwerty, android and iphone will be left to fight for the touch screen lovers. I doubt rim will be affected much.
    Iphones have been available on all carriers in UK and they haven't exactly taken over. People will go where the best deal is. All it takes is for AT&T to drop the prices and not many will leave.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-11 10:08 AM
    There's another way to look at it, people that buy blackberrys usually want a physical qwerty, android and iphone will be left to fight for the touch screen lovers. I doubt rim will be affected much.
    Iphones have been available on all carriers in UK and they haven't exactly taken over. People will go where the best deal is. All it takes is for AT&T to drop the prices and not many will leave.
    Consumers in the US (teenagers to 40ish) are all about the latest and greatest and seem willing to over pay for an item if they really want it! There are many people, myself included, that would not leave Verizon for AT&T, and with the iPhone now coming to Verizon, I think MANY people will purchase them. It will be interesting to see how the "physical" keyboard users respond to the iPhone!
    01-10-11 10:14 AM
    I just said May is because alot of people believe that at the 'New" BB world or some even RIM should be able to give us some kind of a new device or two.

Just hoping for good news. I have 3 phones waiting for upgrades and am really hoping for something worth while.
    You would hope so, but based on what was reported at CES, I just can't see anything worthwhile (LTE and/or QNX) coming in May. I certainly hope so, but I would not hold my breath.
    01-10-11 10:18 AM
    Apple will probably see the biggest jump over then quarter because of adding the iPhone to Verizon. RIM will continue to fall in US because they will have no new offerings this quarter, but they will continue to grow globally. I'll still be a disappointed user at the end of the quarter.
    01-10-11 10:34 AM

I wouldn't say its going to take a sizable chunk out of Android sales, but its going to impair sales but thats going to be better for us the consumer. Unlike AT&T the past year, VZW has a great lineup of Android headsets and after what was announced at CES that isn't going to change. Meanwhile, AT&T just boosted up their Android offerings significantly to devices that are actually great since they just lost exclusivity.

As for RIM, that makes selling a BlackBerry that much more difficult. Android devices will keep getting better, Apple is going to have to respond to the new swath of Tegra 2 1080p capable phones, and in turn, RIM will have to make sure QNX is up to the task, and have hardware to match.

As an Android user, now is a great time as manufacturers will push each other to vying for my dollars. Hopefully RIM follows soon.
    01-10-11 11:52 AM
    Ya know what? I think I'm finally starting to get it. I've been a bit spoiled having the Torch as my latest upgrade option. I do have to admit, if this form factor wasn't available on a BB with AT&T, I may have gone to another brand that did have it. I keep forgetting that the Torch is ONLY available on AT&T in the US. I'm an AT&T customer, and if I had to choose between switching carriers and switching brands to get the phone I wanted, it's much more painless to switch brands than carriers, and I could very easily have been one of the former BB-lovers myself.

Does anyone really know why the Torch is exclusive to AT&T? I know there are better spec phones, but the Torch is still a damn decent device. If it were available on all carrriers, there may not be *quite* as much complaining about how far behind RIM is from the rest of the mocile techie world.

Me, I'm content to wait another year to see what goodies RIM has to roll out. No matter what else is out there, I won't be upgrading before then anyway. ;-)

01-10-11 11:56 AM
    Yes, you get it now. The Storm 2 is old. There are no new BlackBerry phones on VZW, touch or non touch! At least you AT&T guys have the Torch.

I think that's why a lot of VZW folks are defecting now. Myself included.

01-10-11 12:00 PM

Droid Pro has a pretty nice physical keyboard
    01-10-11 12:00 PM
    And it's not true that most people who buy BlackBerry phones want physical keyboards. Look at the Storm following, look at the Torch. I had an 8330, 9630 and I'm going to upgrade to a touchscreen. I just want the screen real estate now. Not bells and whistles, but a big screen for browsing and watching fam/friends on youtube etc.

01-10-11 12:02 PM
    With all the discussion of RIM's market share in the western US, there seems to be no mention of their international share. Does anyone know numbers on the global picture?

01-10-11 12:07 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/why...ad-rim-574728/

The second poster may have it right.

01-10-11 12:11 PM
    Does it really matter who's number one? Nobody can argue that the real winner is apple with only 3 devices still for sale, or maybe e

01-10-11 12:23 PM
    http://www.linuxfordevices.com/image...artphoneos.jpg

Here's a chart with comparisons to last August.

RIM had the biggest downside change out of all the OS listed.
    01-10-11 01:14 PM

When I read this, I just couldn't stop smiling and thinking "hey this guy is correct!"

I buy BB for the love of QWERTY
    01-10-11 01:27 PM
    heres summat interesting, the breakdown on those figures (bear in mind is US only)

Market share (percent)

1)RIM - BlackBerry Curve 8530 4.9

2)RIM - BlackBerry Curve 8330 4.5

3)Apple - iPhone 4 16GB 4.2

4)Motorola - Droid 4.0

5)Apple - iPhone 3G S 32GB 3.9

6)Apple - iPhone 3G 8GB 3.4

7)Apple - iPhone 3G S 16GB 3.3

8)Apple - iPhone 3G 16GB 3.0

9)RIM - BlackBerry Bold 9700 2.2

10)Apple - iPhone 4 32GB 2.2
    source

as well as the near lack of android devices in that list, its also pointed out

Smartphone Platform Market Share

(61.5 million people in the U.S. owned smartphones)

Market share (percent) Change since August

1)RIM 37.6 -4.1

2)Google 19.6 6.4

3)Apple 24.2 0.8

4)Microsoft 10.8 -1.8

5)Palm 4.6 -0.7
    RIM marketshare at 37.6% not 33%
    Last edited by BBThemes; 01-10-11 at 01:38 PM.
    01-10-11 01:32 PM
    I hate doing this, but your numbers are wrong, and you obviously fail at reading simple charts.

The first number is what it was before, the second number is the change.

To get what they are now, add the two together...

37.6 + (-4.1) = 33.5% - RIM
    19.6 + 6.4 === 26% --- Google
    24.2 + 0.8 === 25% --- Apple
    10.8 + (-1.8) = 9% ---- Microsoft
    4.6 + (-0.7) == 3.9% -- Palm

Basically RIM lost basically 4% Marketshare to Android in the USA - most of it probably on Verizon with a pinch on Sprint. AT&T probably did decently thanks to the Torch, T-Mobile heavily pushes their Android handsets in and outside of the carrier stores.

Android probably took most of the Windows Mobile defections, as well.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-10-11 at 01:59 PM.
    01-10-11 01:54 PM
    I hate doing this, but your numbers are wrong, and you obviously fail at reading simple charts.

The first number is what it was before, the second number is the change.

To get what they are now, add the two together...

37.6 + (-4.1) = 33.5% - RIM
    19.6 + 6.4 === 26% --- Google
    24.2 + 0.8 === 25% --- Apple
    10.8 + (-1.8) = 9% ---- Microsoft
    4.6 + (-0.7) == 3.9% -- Palm
    hmm, seems silly to me, `lets show them the old figures and make them do the maths themselves`

if ur right then of course thats fair enough, but how much of a stupid thing is that lol
    01-10-11 01:58 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD