I see this BlackBerry thread is currently at #21 on Hacker News:

Ask HN: Do you still miss your RIM BlackBerry?
    09-14-21 07:47 AM
    Think this summed it up "In a way, because the physical keyboard was so much better for typing. But typing text was all I did with my blackberry. Now my phone is so much more general purpose that a BB form factor wouldn’t suit me."

Do some look back fondly on their BlackBerry experience... yes.
    09-14-21 08:43 AM
    Yeah, it's strange, but my non-typing experience on my Key2 is just as good as on screen-based phones I've used... maybe that's not the case for people who've only ever had a touch-screen.
    bh7171, the_boon and jng0705 like this.
    09-14-21 08:46 AM
    Yeah, it's strange, but my non-typing experience on my Key2 is just as good as on screen-based phones I've used... maybe that's not the case for people who've only ever had a touch-screen.
    Except for tiny screen. After finishing data entry, being able to apps on full screen is easier when VKB retracts. Adobe Reader is a good example for me.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-14-21 09:29 AM
    I see this BlackBerry thread is currently at #21 on Hacker News:

Ask HN: Do you still miss your RIM BlackBerry?
    Well put, I do miss my Passport and use it on weekends since I deleted most apps (they did stop working) so it is a pure phone/mail/text. Nothing beats a physical keyboard and for those of us with big hands touch screens are very frustrating.
    the_boon likes this.
    09-14-21 09:40 AM
    Except for tiny screen. After finishing data entry, being able to apps on full screen is easier when VKB retracts. Adobe Reader is a good example for me.
    Man... if phones could be upgraded like computers, I'd have put a new SOC into my old Priv and run that baby forever!
    the_boon likes this.
    09-15-21 05:28 AM
    Man... if phones could be upgraded like computers, I'd have put a new SOC into my old Priv and run that baby forever!
    And how often do you change out CPU's on computers?

Even if chipsets were modular, I suspect the only fit would have been the SD810... and that wouldn't have been much of an upgrade. Next GEN processors would have required a next gen board.

But yeah I understand the desire to be able to keep using the PRIV.... does seem like "someone" would offer some options.
    09-15-21 08:57 AM
    And how often do you change out CPU's on computers?

Even if chipsets were modular, I suspect the only fit would have been the SD810... and that wouldn't have been much of an upgrade. Next GEN processors would have required a next gen board.

But yeah I understand the desire to be able to keep using the PRIV.... does seem like "someone" would offer some options.
    I changed out the CPU on my home PC last month to the fastest one the motherboard could take. I didn't need to, but since I'm going to run it for a few more years until I feel like building a new system for Windows 11 I said why not, for 80 bucks.

But the SD808 was a dog from day one. Plus, that whole lack of updates thing, which is Android's biggest Achilles heel. I ran my i5 for 5 or 6 years because it was plenty of CPU and I know I will have an up to date OS until 2025.
    09-15-21 10:01 AM
    I changed out the CPU on my home PC last month to the fastest one the motherboard could take. I didn't need to, but since I'm going to run it for a few more years until I feel like building a new system for Windows 11 I said why not, for 80 bucks.

But the SD808 was a dog from day one. Plus, that whole lack of updates thing, which is Android's biggest Achilles heel. I ran my i5 for 5 or 6 years because it was plenty of CPU and I know I will have an up to date OS until 2025.
    I feel like that same 808 would do better with Android 8 or 9 than it does with 6, which is why I'd like for the guy behind the "androidonpassport" project could also pull off a "android9onpriv" too
    09-15-21 10:12 AM

Yeah but the space considerations are limiting that ability in smaller mobile devices and that’s both Android/iOS devices. My 3a/XR are far smaller compartment than laptop or desktop. Modular capabilities just for batteries force trade offs.
    09-15-21 10:14 AM
    I feel like that same 808 would do better with Android 8 or 9 than it does with 6, which is why I'd like for the guy behind the "androidonpassport" project could also pull off a "android9onpriv" too
    Has he pulled off the androidonpassport yet?

Why not an androidonKEY2? There at least you know there are no major hardware limitations and you not investing hundreds of dollars into a device that just isn't meant to run today's OS and Apps.
    09-15-21 11:47 AM