By who? You?
    Are those features mentioned by every smartphone reviewer whenever a device is released? What about casual fans? Those features are considered core features in today's world especially if you're paying premium prices for a smartphone.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    11-21-12 06:18 PM

Sorry, I just spent 20 minutes googling iphone in corporate environment, and all I found was articles regarding security issues and data consumption on iPhones in corporate environment. Sure there might be a lot of them in the corporate world, the question is how useful are they. And again how does that prove anything?
    It proves that it's not a gimmick.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    11-21-12 06:19 PM
    Can you please, pretty please stop marginalising my comments. This is out of order.
    How did I marginalize your comments? Wasn't my intent. You made an absolute sentence. My point was that absolutes don't work with mobile devices any more... IMHO.
    11-21-12 06:21 PM
    How did I marginalize your comments? Wasn't my intent. You made an absolute sentence. My point was that absolutes don't work with mobile devices any more... IMHO.
    I'm sorry but this means that what you and Marty are saying then, is that iPod touch is a better smartphone than 9900, for instance. As it has a better browsing experience and better app ecosystem, and a great media player. Of course there are absolutes! The core functionality of any smartphone is messaging, emails, battery life, signal strength and social network integration. And on the core functionality BB beats iPhone hands down.
    11-21-12 06:34 PM
    Wait a second, does that mean I can't call Windows Junk because I use LinuxMint14? lol
    11-21-12 06:35 PM
    I'm sorry but this means that what you and Marty are saying then, is that iPod touch is a better smartphone than 9900, for instance. As it has a better browsing experience and better app ecosystem, and a great media player. Of course there are absolutes! The core functionality of any smartphone is messaging, emails, battery life, signal strength and social network integration. And on the core functionality BB beats iPhone hands down.
    For you. No one can dispute that.

There are many ways that the core communication experience that I need cannot be met by any current BB, but I also would admit my needs are not everybody's, and I would never go as far to claim that because of that, my device of choice is THE choice.

Think about... list the things you consider "core" and I think you may understand that it can differ from person to person.
    11-21-12 06:54 PM
    For you. No one can dispute that.

There are many ways that the core communication experience that I need cannot be met by any current BB, but I also would admit my needs are not everybody's, and I would never go as far to claim that because of that, my device of choice is THE choice.

Think about... list the things you consider "core" and I think you may understand that it can differ from person to person.
    Example please.
    11-21-12 07:15 PM
    Example please.
    I run the email backend of two non-profits that both use Google Apps. Nothing incorporates IMAP better than Gmail for our needs.

I also run social networking for these entities; I need cross-platform functionality with regards to posting to our news feeds in s timely manner and managing customer service on the run via Sprout.

I use Google Voice as my main telephony device: calls, messaging, and group texting. I do so because in my job capacity, openness is welcome; I allow any concerned person read back texts going back to four years ago. My current platform allows me to have two numbers on one device (BB did too, but not to this degree).

We use Dropbox public folder for forms. A full-featured Dropbox client is a must.

Video chat is a valid part of my job. When someone needs to talk "face-to-face" at 3 am when I'm on the road, then I need to be available.

These are just a few communication-centric things that I do often. My point is that yes, atypical, but for a LOT of professionals, communication means way more than what it did a decade ago.
    11-21-12 07:49 PM
    How so? Because a lot of people bought into Apple's marketing? A lot of people bought into Hitler and Stalin and honestly believed they were outstanding leaders. This still doesn't prove that those two haven't committed the worst atrocities the world has ever seen, and have been misbehaving on a massive scale in general.
    So you're of the opinion that Apple marketing is so good it can make just about anybody buy their stuff? Then how come MacOS hovers around the 5% mark and not closer to Windows 92%? Even more to the point, how come Apple's market share is a quarter of the market share of Android? Apple's market share is closer to RIM market share than Android market share. If Apple's marketing is good, then Android's marketing must be mind control. Here's another quandry.... if Apple's marketing is so powerful.... why doesn't RIM just hire the same marketing chief and marketing firm. Offer them a couple of billion dollars each and it will be worth it, since according to your logic, with the right marketing, RIM can become a $400+ billion dollar company.

Brilliant marketing can help sell your product, but no amount of lipstick on a pig is going to win you a beauty pageant, unless it's a pig beauty pageant of course.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-21-12 07:52 PM
    What if you like Instagram? Or Pinterest?
    11-21-12 07:54 PM
    So you're of the opinion that Apple marketing is so good it can make just about anybody buy their stuff? Then how come MacOS hovers around the 5% mark and not closer to Windows 92%? Even more to the point, how come Apple's market share is a quarter of the market share of Android? Apple's market share is closer to RIM market share than Android market share. If Apple's marketing is good, then Android's marketing must be mind control. Here's another quandry.... if Apple's marketing is so powerful.... why doesn't RIM just hire the same marketing chief and marketing firm. Offer them a couple of billion dollars each and it will be worth it, since according to your logic, with the right marketing, RIM can become a $400+ billion dollar company.

Brilliant marketing can help sell your product, but no amount of lipstick on a pig is going to win you a beauty pageant, unless it's a pig beauty pageant of course.
    Oh lordy lord. Ok. First of all you are looking at the wrong metric, you need to look at branded manufacturers market share. Looking at just OS market share is not correct as this is not the game Apple are playing. Macs are doing much better than generally assumed. The important thing to understand is that OS game is not the game they play, they play the charge the premium for rubbish game.
    Regarding the android, again wrong metric, look at revenue share from selling smart phones. Apples marketing is not aimed at getting as many users as possible, it's aimed to make them want to pay premium, for mediocre products.

In regards to marketing team they still need to be told what to do and what to preach by the ceo. And that ceo must have a game plan for entire operation, including marketing. If the wrong signals are coming from the top, there isn't a whole bunch marketing team can do. Until Thorsten was appointed, RIM had a very bad top level decision making process. The company looks much healthier now.
    11-21-12 08:33 PM
    I run the email backend of two non-profits that both use Google Apps. Nothing incorporates IMAP better than Gmail for our needs.

I also run social networking for these entities; I need cross-platform functionality with regards to posting to our news feeds in s timely manner and managing customer service on the run via Sprout.

I use Google Voice as my main telephony device: calls, messaging, and group texting. I do so because in my job capacity, openness is welcome; I allow any concerned person read back texts going back to four years ago. My current platform allows me to have two numbers on one device (BB did too, but not to this degree).

We use Dropbox public folder for forms. A full-featured Dropbox client is a must.

Video chat is a valid part of my job. When someone needs to talk "face-to-face" at 3 am when I'm on the road, then I need to be available.

These are just a few communication-centric things that I do often. My point is that yes, atypical, but for a LOT of professionals, communication means way more than what it did a decade ago.
    I assume you are on an android device.
    Well, if you guys use google services as the backbone of communication in your company, it would make every bit of sense to use an android phone. No doubt about this.
    I don't consider this atypical, and a lot of start ups and small organisations do this. However it is down to what the it backbone of the company is based on, and what the job itself is.
    11-21-12 09:10 PM
    Actually no. I would just say its totally main stream now. The masses are ignorant of historical and future generations of smart phones. If you asked them I would hazard a guess most would say Apple invented the smart phone
    This reminds me of a pretty good video on YouTube where these guys asked a bunch of people to try and name anything that Apple legitimately invented. And then they made a video of the responses, and the history of who ACTUALLY invented said concept. Turns out Apple invented very little.
    undone likes this.
    11-21-12 10:02 PM
    No need to end your reply with "!?" I'd be more than glad to discuss this in a calm and rational manner. You completely misinterpreted (or simply just skimmed) my post. I said that in MY opinion as someone into mobile tech, it is stale to me. I also made it crystal clear that MY opinion doesn't reflect your average consumer who doesn't follow mobile tech very much and simply wants a decent smartphone that works solidly whether it has cutting edge innovations, bells, whistles etc or not. For those people, who haven't used iOS and aren't really concerned how much iOS has changed in a few years, it won't be stale. To them. You're actually agreeing with what I already said but you appear agitated anyway.

"people like me"? What's that supposed to mean? I'm confused. Anyway, see above I already covered this.

I never denied either of those points, but ok? I'm sure many iPhone users are. I'd place a hefty wager that the majority by a large margin of ANY smartphone OS consumers just want a smartphone and aren't actually tech enthusiasts. Obviously I'm not going to get drawn into a silly and pointless charade of "proving" that by launching a Harvard University survey of 1,000,000 smartphone users. All one needs to do is take a look at any average workplace that has a few hundred employees, and you'll get into detailed mobile technology conversations with but a small handful of them. And even of that handful, maybe half of those base their knowledge base on reading dubious tech blogs.

You're pretty wound up tex, grab a pint or two and then we'll chat.
    Actually I wasn't 'wound up' when I wrote that...but I see now that actually we're saying the same thing...blame it on fatigue on my part, not vexation

Thanks for your level headed reply...weekend's just around the corner so I'll try the beer therapy then.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    11-22-12 03:52 AM
64 123