02-26-13 11:28 AM
155 12345 ...
tools
    The commercial was crap. Other than mentioning the Blackberry name in the last 2-3 seconds at the end, it did absolutely nothing to promote Blackberry. Not to mention that the last 2-3 seconds where they drop the Blackberry name wasn't even memorable. Ads are supposed to stick in the consumer's head. Anything less is a failure.

The commercial was nothing more than a producer/director attempting to be cute and creative, but failing miserably. Zero focus on selling the product.
    02-03-13 08:38 PM
    Im talking about this commercial. Consider yourself enlightened.
    So you think this commercial is good enough for the population outside CB, but not good enough for CrackBerrians because CrackBerrians usually have unrealistic expectations. Correct?
    02-03-13 08:38 PM
    Cause everyone expected way too much, as usual.
    If by expecting too much you mean "effective at all", then sure.

It was a well done 30 second commercial.
    Production and art direction? Sure I'll give you that. Product promotion and salesmanship? Swing and a miss.
    aha likes this.
    02-03-13 08:44 PM
    I give up haha. BlackBerry Sucks! They should have shown the Hub and Camera, whooop whooop, what a treat that would have been.
    02-03-13 08:45 PM
    Sorry they should have bought the full minute and done an ad on the features. The ad did absolutely nothing for me and the same for my iphone/droid/windows friends. I hope this is just a stepping stone for BlackBerry's marketing because if this is what we are getting...all I can say is Fail!
    02-03-13 08:52 PM
    Seriously guys its a commercial. What else do u want from it? And btw the vw commercial got hit for racism and best buy one wasn't anything special either
    02-03-13 08:55 PM
    I hope this is just a stepping stone for BlackBerry's marketing because if this is what we are getting...all I can say is Fail!
    Why would this be all we are getting? It is the start to a much larger ad campaign. Check out the main page, there are even two commercials posted which show features.
    02-03-13 08:56 PM
    For a 30 second spot, it was great! Trying to fit in all the features of the Z10 in that timeframe would deliver nothing but a confusing mess. The point was to make people aware of the product and want to find out more. I think it did.
    02-03-13 08:56 PM
    The Bell ad shown in Canada was good.
    02-03-13 08:57 PM
    Showing camera time shift in a unique way that would make people gasp. That would have been interesting! Who doesn't want to capture the perfect moment?
    flyingsolid likes this.
    02-03-13 08:58 PM
    This is a very very bad commercial, nobody would remember anything about blackberry after watching this, half of them don't even know this is a BlackBerry commercial because their attention were not on screen anymore in the last 3 seconds.

It's like the most creative way you can find to waste $3.4M and re-introducing BlackBerry to America. IMHO, if you just play the last 3 seconds 10 times over the 30 seconds period, it will create more impressions and discussion in US than this.

Or it's like a commercial made by a competitor for BlackBerry, through some conspiracy strategy to get BlackBerry buy-in into this idea. Yeah, that's how bad it is.

Kevin's article reads like a defence for the idea already because Kevin knew this idea needs to be defended. If it's really good, we all know how Kevin would react --- he would behave like a crazily hyped kid, do you smell any excitment in his article?

Let's keep it real here shall we?
    Posted by Kevin Michaluk Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 18 min ago

Nice comments. Smart. You all know me so well.

Soo... I definitely wasn't trying to defend the commercial in this article. Just tried to recap the interview points I had with Frank.

I'll do a separate follow up post with my full out opinion on it in more detail...

general take though, i thought it was OK. they definitely didn't mess anything up badly. I was kind of worried based on the teaser photos it may be a really odd commercial. This was very much a Super Bowl commercial. Think they played it a bit safe though, and maybe needed more product focus. People sort of expect it on a product selling commercial. But i'll get more into that.

overall, i'd much rather they ran the commercial they did vs. not run a super bowl ad. *
    The above was Kevin's reply to my post in the comment section of his article. Thought you guys might want to know.
    02-03-13 09:05 PM
    It was kind of funny. Certainly surprised me. I had been waiting all game, was walking away, and had to come right back.
    02-03-13 09:07 PM
    at least one feature would of been nice to highlight!...
    02-03-13 09:07 PM
    I give up haha. BlackBerry Sucks! They should have shown the Hub and Camera, whooop whooop, what a treat that would have been.
    BB10 doesn't suck. The 30sec spot light could have been executed much better.
    02-03-13 09:09 PM
    Showing camera time shift in a unique way that would make people gasp. That would have been interesting! Who doesn't want to capture the perfect moment?
    Right. They show changing one face ................ times up. Great ad
    JR A likes this.
    02-03-13 09:14 PM
    Seriously guys its a commercial. What else do u want from it?
    Quite a bit actually.

How many of these do you remember?....

"Hey Koolaid!"
    "Oh I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Weiner...<snip>"
    "Anticipation...."
    "I have an annuity and need cash now!"
    "Bud....Weis....Errr..."
    "Where's the beef!"
    "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!"
    "Dude! You got a Dell!"
    "AFLAC!"

Okay... now, consider how long it takes you to even recall the substance of the BB SuperBowl ad. The point is simple... the commercial was not memorable in any way, unless of course you're a BB fan specifically looking to get a peek at it. Commercials by design are supposed to stick in the consumer's head the next time they're out shopping for a product you wish to promote.
    randall2580 likes this.
    02-03-13 09:14 PM
    BB10 doesn't suck. The 30sec spot light could have been executed much better.
    No matter how it went, to some people it would be terrible. That's the thing here.
    Like Kevin said, this commercial is much better than no superbowl commercial at all. So lets just enjoy it for that.
    And there are a few of us who thought it was very clever, they literally showed us nothing (what it cant do)haha. Very Seinfeld-esque, and like that show, there are some that get it and some that dont. No big deal.
    02-03-13 09:16 PM
    The ad is fantastic. The images are weird and will stick with most viewers after their hangovers wear off tomorrow.

Anyhow -- it is actually ranking #1 right now:
    Super Bowl Commercials from Feb. 3, 2013 - NFL.com
    02-03-13 09:17 PM
    Bb 10 Super Bowl commercial ranked #1 so far.
    02-03-13 09:17 PM
    Wow you guys are thick. All the commercial was supposed to do was make people aware that Blackberry exists. 99% of the people watching the Super Bowl didn't even expect a Blackberry commercial, let alone hints about a new phone.
    mw12341, joe.miller and kbz1960 like this.
    02-03-13 09:18 PM
    Like Kevin said, this commercial is much better than no superbowl commercial at all. So lets just enjoy it for that.
    I'd disagree... for $3.5mil I'd sooner air that non memorable commercial a few hundred times during prime-time sitcoms/dramas to pound it into peoples heads, than waste it on a 30second slot during the superbowl. Nobody watching the Superbowl will remember that commercial tomorrow. However, should it be aired constantly for much much cheaper during other airtimes, it might stick.

For half of what they paid for the Superbowl air-time the returns would probably be better (maybe, the commercial still sucks), they could air it much more frequently. So yeah... it would have been better for BB to not air it during the Superbowl.
    jagrlover and flyingsolid like this.
    02-03-13 09:22 PM
    not bad but far from good....
    02-03-13 09:23 PM
    30 seconds to show what the phone doesn't do. 30 seconds to show people in the US what they can't buy. Brilliant. Someone pleas tell Frank and Thor they are doing it wrong!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    02-03-13 09:24 PM
    That was a failure on so many levels. The CMO needs to seriously be spending tonight polishing his resume. Lets start with how incredibly forgettable it was. It did NOTHING to stick in your mind. It was cheesy and silly in every respect of the words. Secondly, it did NOTHING to show a single reason why anyone would spend any time looking at this phone vs a competitor. There wasn't a single benefit shown that describes why a consumer would bother to look at this phone vs an iPhone or Android.

Blackberry has been handed a golden opportunity here, one last chance at relevance before its brand is relegated to the "Wang Computers" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_Laboratories) of smartphones. BB10 had momentum in the UK. Blackberry marketing is completely blowing it. Running with a black screen, no sound, with the words in white "Blackberry 10, The Game Has Changed" for 10 seconds would have been a truckload more effective than this crap. I've been a shareholder though thick and thin and I honestly think this is it for me.

Good job Blackberry, you managed to "top" the glowing bikes, exactly like I was afraid you would.
    02-03-13 09:25 PM
    The first time I watched the BB10 ad, I was anticipating something cool. And I was kind of disappointed.

But the second time I was watching the "Message from BlackBerry CMO Frank Boulben" and didn't know the ad was going to be playing right after.
    But this time, the video actually caught me off guard and in retrospect, the ad is pretty good and it did what it was supposed to do. Catch people's attention.

Most people aren't going to purposely watch the ad looking for something specific, so this ad was actually pretty good.
    You're looking at the guy catch on fire, grow elephant feet, blow up an oil tanker, and then they say "We're showing you what it can't do, because theres too much to show you of what it CAN do."

So, actually, I think the ad was pretty good.
    I liked it better the 2nd time too. The problem is they only showed it once.
    02-03-13 09:25 PM
155 12345 ...