What was Crackberry expecting? It's a commercial, not King Midas with a magical iphone killing wand.
    That's what it needed to be. What it turned out to be is forgettable.
    02-03-13 08:10 PM
    It felt like I didn't get the point until the end. By the end, I missed the brand but finally got the point.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-03-13 08:15 PM
    Keeping it really: I dont think he was defending it cause it was bad, more likely he knows what the users are like on here. Crazy expectations, expecting everything suited to their personal tastes.
    Right, apparently as a BlackBerry user, we should ALWAYS set our expectations more "realistically".
    JR A likes this.
    Nothing wrong with this commercial. "It's quicker to show you what it can't do" is a great line.
    Ok lets look at it from the normal super bowl viewer. Huh ok cool BlackBerry .

Need to follow it up
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-03-13 08:16 PM
    Right, apparently as a person, we should ALWAYS set our expectations more "realistically".
    Exactly!
    02-03-13 08:16 PM
    Watched it with friends, and their comments were universal. It's a typical blackberry commercial that is all talk and no substance. Like their keynote address, it didn't say anything about the features. In fact it tells us what it can't do. Well we already know what blackberrys can't do. How about telling us what it can do. In the end, it was just a lot of fluff. Forgettable and irrelevant.
    02-03-13 08:17 PM
    As I see it the commercial has something identifiable that can be remembered. Even if it isn't identifiable as BlackBerry.

To me that is what the commercial was designed to do.

I see a lot of identifiable images that can be pulled out and used in print ads.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    Very bad ad. Among the worst of the evening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    see what it can do!?? DO WHAT!!!!!??????
    they need to convince ppl that blackberry 10 is a fresh UI unliked the old bb phones. By showing what the phone can do.!!!! HUB, PEEK, FLOW, TIME SHIFT.. those are key features.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-03-13 08:20 PM
    The features will be shown, that wasnt the point of this ad. Get it together people.
    Zedi Master likes this.
    02-03-13 08:22 PM
    COOL.. ??? you must be an *****.. it says " see what it can do " SEE WHAT!!!!!!?????
    02-03-13 08:23 PM
    It was one of many forgettable commercials in this game.
    But the eTrade baby is always good.
    Haha yeah, I love those. That baby is awesome.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-03-13 08:24 PM
    At minimum, it needed a celeb with the phone so non BB fans would remember it.
    Here in Canada, I'm still trying to recover from a Juno music awards ad. .... it had Chad Kroeger, Michael Buble, and Avril Lavigne in a bed!! Wish I had a Z10 phone to turn that sight into rubber ducks!
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-03-13 08:25 PM
    Exactly!
    Then please enlighten me, if BlackBerry has never disappointed people who have their expectations set in right place, why did its market share shrink to single digit? Is it because most of the people have unrealistic expectations?
    02-03-13 08:26 PM
    It did what a commercial is supposed to do.... Makes you watch, and captures your attention till you find out what it is they are advertising.. In my opinion anyways...
    Zedi Master likes this.
    02-03-13 08:27 PM
    COOL.. ??? you must be an *****.. it says " see what it can do " SEE WHAT!!!!!!?????
    We're you watching a different commercial? The ad asks what CAN'T it do. Give you elephant legs, etc.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    02-03-13 08:28 PM
    The first time I watched the BB10 ad, I was anticipating something cool. And I was kind of disappointed.

But the second time I was watching the "Message from BlackBerry CMO Frank Boulben" and didn't know the ad was going to be playing right after.
    But this time, the video actually caught me off guard and in retrospect, the ad is pretty good and it did what it was supposed to do. Catch people's attention.

Most people aren't going to purposely watch the ad looking for something specific, so this ad was actually pretty good.
    You're looking at the guy catch on fire, grow elephant feet, blow up an oil tanker, and then they say "We're showing you what it can't do, because theres too much to show you of what it CAN do."

So, actually, I think the ad was pretty good.
    BergerKing likes this.
    So you are confused by the commercial?? Id say read the front page but there is only so much that can be done for some people.
    The commercial was very weak and a waste of the perfect prime time opportunity in my opinion. It should have showcased more of the BB10's capabilities and functionality.
    02-03-13 08:29 PM
    Then please enlighten me, if BlackBerry has never disappointed people who have their expectations set in right place, why did its market share shrink to single digit? Is it because most of the people have unrealistic expectations?
    Im talking about this commercial. Consider yourself enlightened.
    02-03-13 08:29 PM
    I was hoping for better but realize how hard that is to do. I am going to go into my office tomorrow and say "did you see the blackberry commercial" and see if folks remember it. My impression is its not one that will be talked about tomorrow.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    02-03-13 08:30 PM
    The Globe and Mail explains the thinking behind the ad http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...-news/marketin... and lots of news and sales people are talking about it, lots are sharing the link to the ad also.

BlackBerry Super Bowl ad debut inspired by Fantastic Four
    SUSAN KRASHINSKY
    The Globe and Mail
    Published Sunday, Feb. 03 2013, 8:00 PM EST
    Last updated Sunday, Feb. 03 2013, 8:48 PM EST

In its first foray into Super Bowl advertising, Research In Motion Ltd. bucked the trend: while many advertisers rely on the Internet to build anticipation for their commercials ahead of time, RIM was closely guarded about its commercial, releasing only a single still image before the U.S. broadcast.

The major investment � 30 seconds in the U.S. broadcast reportedly cost roughly $3.8-million (U.S.) this year � was RIM�s attempt to rebuild its BlackBerry brand with U.S. consumers who have left it in the dust, favouring formidable competitors such as Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd..

The core idea of the ad actually goes against what will be RIM�s overall marketing strategy this year. While the company will be focusing heavily on product features and experience in its advertising, the Super Bowl spot instead was built on what the device cannot do.

�It had to be things that are really not things you could do in real life. You have a fantastic element to it,� chief marketing officer Frank Boulben said in an interview.

The inspiration actually came from the Marvel comic book characters, the Fantastic Four. The BlackBerry user in the commercial grows scaly, elephantine legs, similar to The Thing. He is set on fire without being burned, a take on the Human Torch. When he disappears in a burst of colourful dust, that was inspired by The Invisible Woman. The only thing he does not do is stretch like Mister Fantastic.

(It�s an interesting choice, given that RIM dealt with some scorn last year over a marketing snafu involving a cartoon foursome of �superheroes� it published to its Twitter page. But the reference here is much less overt.)

�We wanted to do it in a bit of a disruptive manner, breaking the conventions of the category, and instead of showcasing the device, to do the opposite and show what the device cannot do and encourage customers to go and check out the device online,� Mr. Boulben said.

It�s also an attempt by the brand to keep up interest in the U.S., as it faces a potentially harmful delay in its launch in that market. The Super Bowl is a conspicuous demonstration that RIM is investing heavily in advertising again.
    02-03-13 08:32 PM
    I thought it was quite good. Initial spur of curiosity, followed by laughter, followed by suspense then relief that a z10 saved the day!
    02-03-13 08:37 PM
155 1234 ...