01-25-14 08:27 AM
128 ... 23456
tools
    No, not compromise: the opposite: NO compromise: you want a keyboard AND a large screen? NO COMPROMISE, you get both. Yes, it would be thicker / possibly heavier, but that's a compromise I'd GLADLY, EAGERLY make.

I accept that there would be a slightly higher, not significantly higher, cost. One might think that there would be significant additional costs... but remember: "slider" technology is 20 years old, the details have been worked out and my 9800 and 9810(s) have never EVER failed in the slider mechanism: one had the trackpad die, another had the screen crack when dropped, the other is PERFECT, but the slider was rock solid.

I missed my bus stop today because of this attitude: on a busy bus route, I assumed the bus would stop at the next stop to pick up passengers, and the bus was jam packed and I couldn't reach the "request stop" wire so I didn't bother to pull it, so I made my way to the back door and the bus just sped by my stop. Even BlackBerry advocates who must acknowledge by now that "full slab" isn't the key issue with BB10 device designs, nor is "slap a keyboard on it". It's something else... but because all of these assumptions about costs and reliability that are simply unsubstantiated, people say "No, let's not do a slider".

I think there's a "a slider would be to costly and a customer service nightmare, so let's not bother" attitude that I for one would like to see simply disappear... or I would love an insider at BlackBerry to give us all a profile of how the Torch sold and how much post-sale service was required. I bet the sales were higher and the service was lower than most people think.

Anyone actually work in smartphone design / manufacturing on CrackBerry that can provide data beyond what I could scrape off iSuppli.com?

Perfectly reasonable people on CrackBerry seem very willing (for reasons I don't understand) to just rule out a slider as too costly to develop and produce, and just take it for granted that the after-sale support would be too much of a drain on resources and therefore simply there could not be a business case for a slider device. It's all conjecture: claims that can not be borne out by even rudimentary research such as I did here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...ml#post9705183

That thread is chock-full of slider goodness, including this mock up by the OP:

http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...ider-front.jpg

And I would pay any retail price for that device (that is in line with the fair-market cost of components and reasonable markup).

So why isn't there ALREADY a BB10 slider? Especially when the "Milan" was the FIRST BB10 device we heard about but then it was scuttled? I think it was a strategic decision, and a terrible one: remember it was with reluctance that they acquiesced and produced the Q10... the conventional wisdom was they had to compete with apple / android in the 'full touchscreen slab' space because "that's what people want". Turns out what they want are mostly devices running Android manufactured by Samsung, and iPhones. Their attitudes to form-factor was simply an error in judgement, a mischaracterization of where BlackBerry 10 would fit into the market.

Now, we know the truth: BB10 is a niche-market device, and "full slab" form factor ISN'T where it's at, not for BlackBerry (not for HTC or LG or Nokia either, for that matter).
    Like I said.....I would take two. Even pay more than the price Chen has projected for future BlackBerries. I would be surprised if BlackBerry(if it happened) made the device top tier. .......as much as I would like for that to happen. I'll pay for quality.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 01-11-14 at 09:05 PM.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    01-11-14 08:28 PM
    Until my 9800 committed suicide and fell into the ocean, I was happy with it and pleasantly ( I use that word loosely) waiting on BB10. I passed over the Bold and 9810 waiting but I loved my slider. That keyboard was wore out!

I've yet to test drive a Z30, but I think a slider in Z10 form would be fine. There was one drawback I had with my 9800. The cases I purchased for it didn't last at all. The poor design of the slender top piece only had small plastic tabs holding it on the top. They were too easy to break off.

If a slider comes out, sign me up!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 08:47 PM
    Torch was way too thick and unwieldy, I hope they never make something like it again. They just did it to dedicate a phone to the company they bought at the time, that companies name was 'Torch'.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 08:55 PM
    Like I said.....I would take two. Even pay more than the price Chen has projected for future BlackBerries. I would be suprised if BlackBerry - if it were to happen, make the device a top tier BlackBerry. .......as much as I would like for that to happen. I'll pay for quality.
    I would buy them like I buy shoes: When I find shoes that are comfortable and reasonably priced, I go out and buy 5 more pairs in my size.

So assuming I love it as much as I would undoubtedly love it, i'd buy 1 on launch day, then wait for the next product cycle, then either there may be a somehow improved model, or they would start winding production down, in which case I'd buy 5 more then have to decide every time I made or received an email if the contact was "sponge worthy" and I would risk replying... but i'd probably unsubscribe from lots of retailer spams.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 01-11-14 at 09:10 PM.
    01-11-14 08:58 PM
    I would buy them like I buy shies: assuming I live it as much as I would undoubtedly love it, i'd buy 1 on launch day, then wait for the next product cycle, then either there may be a somehow improved model, or they would start winding production down, in which case I'd buy 5 more then have to decide every time I made or received an email if the contact was "sponge worthy".

Posted via CB10
    Since Day 01, any personal BlackBerry I buy, I have to get another for my wife. It's a package deal.....and it keeps the peace.
    01-11-14 09:07 PM
    A bb10 slider would definitely be kewl;-)

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 11:21 PM
    +1. A Slider is needed

A lot of people at work (Bay St downtown office) used a slider back when BB was popular.

Hopefully it will be a thin slider.
    01-11-14 11:32 PM
    This ( a new Torch ) is something that i've hoped for since i've traded in my Torch 9810 for god knows how many mobile phones.

I just couldn't make the full switch to an 'all-touchscreen' phone, and i've tried them all. Almost all of my friends mock me because i'm one of the few people that can't type on a touchscreen keyboard, at least not in the way that is satisfactory for me, but i also know that with me are a lot of people that feel the same way. This also goes for the trackpad, you either loved it and want it back, or you hated it and think it's 'old-school'.

I own a Q10, but the screen is too small. I try to browse the web on it, but it just doesn't feel right. I always have to pinch and zoom to select something. I also deliberately avoid certain websites that are not 'Q10 friendly'. For browsing and other stuff i own a Note 3, but i avoid typing emails on it because i really love the physical keys of the Q10.

Blackberry certainly has the potential to win back the crowd they lost to Android and iOS. The funny thing is, as much as Blackberry devices have frustrated me over the years, even to the point that i smashed a few against the wall ( Hulk angry! ), i sold my Galaxy S4 after owning it for a full two weeks to get myself a Q10. Man oh man how different Blackberry 10 is. In comparison to Android and iOS it's unbelievable how stable it is. Even with the low specs of the Q10 it works like a charm, however, the Q10 should have been the mid-range device, it also should have been priced that way.

I have the utmost confidence that Mr. Chen knows what he's doing. Not only is he ( thank god ) a big fan of the QWERTY, he also understands that major changes have to take place in order to create stability and salvage what is left of RIM, and make it one of the top players again.

To sum up :

A new Torch model with BB10 OS would be wonderful.
    01-11-14 11:35 PM
    After reading this thread, I took the opportunity to order a pre-owned Q5 just to see how it goes after using a Z10 for the last 6 months. (hoping that Telus will allow me to just swap the sim card back and forth!) I do love the ability to change from touch to kb when desired. I hope to have both running with a sim swap soon, but dream of having both in the same device.
    01-11-14 11:44 PM
    After reading this thread, I took the opportunity to order a pre-owned Q5 just to see how it goes after using a Z10 for the last 6 months. (hoping that Telus will allow me to just swap the sim card back and forth!) I do love the ability to change from touch to kb when desired. I hope to have both running with a sim swap soon, but dream of having both in the same device.
    I have a Q10 and Z10 and never had a problem switching sim cards with bell so I don't see why it would cause you trouble

Posted from my Q10 with only 1GB of RAM
    Sarek1701 likes this.
    01-11-14 11:46 PM
    Thanks for the replies. However if there is a slider, I think that the keyboard would be q10 style instead if q5. Unless BlackBerry makes 2 models with different specs

Posted with my BlackBerry
    01-12-14 12:13 AM
    how much did that run you if you don't mind me asking?
    01-12-14 12:19 AM
    If it was anything like the 9810, I would be all over a BB10 slider....
    extisis likes this.
    01-12-14 12:22 AM
    In my opinion I personally feel that the cost to develop a slider Bb10 phone would far outweigh the profits made from sales. I think blackberry is on the right track at with only 2 models of phones (z10,z30) and (q10,q5). Money would be better spent getting apps on par with Google and apple. And doing some real marketing of the OS.

Apple has proven you can survive in the mobile world with one model of phone.

Posted via CB10
    Great summary and an accurate reflection of how I feel! I get that there's a population out there for a slider but I don't think that's a big priority for BlackBerry right now. Maybe if they regain more market share (and let us all hope that they do!) they'll consider it. I just don't think devoting resources and funds to a new form factor design is as low hanging fruit as amping up their marketing and closing the app gap.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 12:28 AM
    As long as it is light weight I will give it a go..
    01-12-14 02:40 AM
    I'll buy it in the first day!
    Love to slide!

Postez via CB10
    01-12-14 02:58 AM
    As long as it is light weight I will give it a go..
    Light weight means lighter than z30?

Posted with my BlackBerry
    01-12-14 05:19 AM
    Well let's just hope BlackBerry uses the slider patents they have. Would love to see them come to fruition.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 07:40 PM
    Torch was way too thick and unwieldy, I hope they never make something like it again. They just did it to dedicate a phone to the company they bought at the time, that companies name was 'Torch'.

Posted via CB10
    The only problem with the Torch was that the keyboard wasn't as good as bold devices. The ergonomics and the tactile feedback weren't as good.
    extisis likes this.
    01-12-14 07:46 PM
    Found this on Rogers website, still there
    https://www.rogers.com/web/content/b...h_0901-_-torch

And there is one for the bold 9000,
    https://your.rogers.com/store/wirele...y9000order.asp

BlackBerry 10 Slider Phone (like torch)-img_00001413.png

I actually filled out the form for the bold 9000 lolololol.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 07:54 PM
    The only problem with the Torch was that the keyboard wasn't as good as bold devices. The ergonomics and the tactile feedback weren't as good.
    I don't see a Torch in your "signature".
    01-12-14 10:45 PM
    doesn't mean he's never used it before. i've played with the 9930 plenty enough to know about it but never owned it, thus not in my sig.
    01-12-14 11:07 PM
    CB should post a front page vote for the next model, I know BlackBerry reads here, would be more effective than a thread here and there

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 01:24 AM
    What's your point?

So if I didn't like the keyboard as much, why the hell should I have bought one? Explain me
    01-13-14 07:05 AM
    Mr.Chen Man ,New high end Blackberry slider June 2014 - Make it happen! I have been waiting 2 years.
    01-13-14 08:22 AM
128 ... 23456