01-25-14 08:27 AM
128 1234 ...
tools
    My 9800 is still alive, despite me dropping it a few times and breaking the screen. I had Case-Mate cases for it and though they would invariably break off, the phone itself stayed in one piece. I would give up my Q10 for a T10!
    01-10-14 12:37 PM
    Dumb question: how would the cases for Torch devices work?
    Posted via CB10
    It would be like the cases on the 9800,9810 which clipped on and never really worked and I think caused more damage to the slider mechanism than protection of the phone.

As in the old Torch phones, a slip case, holster, or just plain without a case would be the way to go.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-10-14 12:41 PM
    On T-Mobile, the Torch 9800 never came. I played with it in an at&t store and thought it was cool. The 9810 eventually came to T-Mobile and I picked one up, in addition to my 9900.

I loved the 9810. It was seriously underrated and (surprise!) barely advertised. That thing was great. It had a better camera than my 9900 and better battery life. The phone felt solid, and I ended up liking that phone a lot more than I originally thought I would. I had never had a slider or any phone with a touchscreen before, so I was really pleased with it all.

I'd definitely get a BlackBerry 10 slider if they ever launched one.
    01-10-14 01:04 PM
    I would love to try one. I went from a 9900 to a Z10 and while I'm used to and quick with the Z10 keyboard, I would like to have the choice of either an on-screen or physical keyboard depending on how long of a message I need to pound out (physical for long emails, screen for texts for example.)

My boss won't let go of his 9810 for this very reason.
    01-10-14 01:09 PM
    This is probably a dumb question. I never owned a torch but had friends that loved them. The question is, when the slider is closed, is there a virtual keyboard you can use?
    01-10-14 01:11 PM
    In my opinion I personally feel that the cost to develop a slider Bb10 phone would far outweigh the profits made from sales. I think blackberry is on the right track at with only 2 models of phones (z10,z30) and (q10,q5). Money would be better spent getting apps on par with Google and apple. And doing some real marketing of the OS.

Apple has proven you can survive in the mobile world with one model of phone.

Posted via CB10
    I think it's true that BlackBerry should try to their production costs low and the processes simple. Economies of scale is important right now. Better go with one qwerty- and one full touch model for the flagship devices and maybe one low cost product for selected markets. This would also lower the risk of overproduction

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 01:12 PM
    Never was able to try out the Torch but always wanted to but i didnt want to switch to a different carrier. i would certainly try out the T10 or whatever they would call it. Right now i am sticking with my 9930

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-10-14 01:12 PM
    I think it will definitely be a slider. How cool would that be? High end quad core HD 4.7 inch qwerty slider (that slides up instead of to the side).

Badassery at its finest

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 01:17 PM
    A new slider on the horizon may explain why Rogers didn't initially want the Z30. They know how well the Torch sold and may think there is only room for a limited number of phones in their retail system, touch, keyboard, cheap keyboard, and a slider. I can see it coming down to Z30, Q10, Q5, and the slider, with the Z30 replacing the Z10 once the Z10 stock dwindles.
    The Z30 Is available VIA Rogers Website

I would Check Out a BB10 Slider
    Last edited by ren596; 01-10-14 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Formatting
    01-10-14 01:23 PM
    im still useing my 9810 today, i love the form of it , i have had this phone for a while now and if they brought another slider i would jump all over it.I hope it is not just talk and they come out with it soon.
    acovey and Nature Slice like this.
    01-10-14 01:35 PM
    The Z30 Is available VIA Rogers Website

I would Check Out a BB10 Slider
    I knew the Z30 was available via Rogers' web site, since that is where I got mine. I was trying to rationalize why one of Canada's biggest carriers would try to not carry a Flagship BlackBerry. My rationalization being that something better was on the way. Hopefully I am correct.
    01-10-14 02:23 PM
    This is probably a dumb question. I never owned a torch but had friends that loved them. The question is, when the slider is closed, is there a virtual keyboard you can use?
    Yes, when closed you get a virtual keyboard. With the new predictive text keyboard in OS10, it will be great for quick replies.
    Nature Slice likes this.
    01-10-14 02:26 PM
    A slider has always been my favourite phone form factor.
    I hope for a BB10 version to be release soon. Hopes are not very high though.
    01-10-14 02:39 PM
    If they make it look really slick than sure, if not I think it is a mistake. There are people that love keyboards, except there are many more people that love just the touch screen and this move will alienate them and the device will not sell as well as they expect.
    01-10-14 02:44 PM
    It would be like the cases on the 9800,9810 which clipped on and never really worked and I think caused more damage to the slider mechanism than protection of the phone.

As in the old Torch phones, a slip case, holster, or just plain without a case would be the way to go.
    Thank you! I've never owned a Torch, but I was just wondering how a case would work for one. Hmm... I guess if I ever bought one, it would stay case-less.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 03:29 PM
    Only one of the big 3 carriers had the Torch slider. If you were with Sprint or Verizon, you HAD to get the Bold. It annoys me to no end (Sprint guy here).
    Actually T-Mobile had the 9800 or 9810 after ATT had it.
    01-10-14 03:57 PM
    In my opinion I personally feel that the cost to develop a slider Bb10 phone would far outweigh the profits made from sales. I think blackberry is on the right track at with only 2 models of phones (z10,z30) and (q10,q5). Money would be better spent getting apps on par with Google and apple. And doing some real marketing of the OS.

Apple has proven you can survive in the mobile world with one model of phone.
    the cost above that of non sliders would be $10 per device, based on published cost analysis from iSuppli. search crackberry for other slider threads.
    01-10-14 04:37 PM
    Dido. Aside from the software. The Torch was the best phone ever made. I owned 3 of them from the 9800 to 9810.
    I would by 3 of them on launch.... Please, I hope they make it.
    Even better if hardware specs are competitive on launch date with other devices. This seems to be a big deciding factor for a lot of people i know these days.
    Things like the cameras, Processing Chip and Ram. Blackberry already has the best sounding speakers and keyboard. They need more if they are going to last.
    Add in Waterproof. BONUS!!
    01-10-14 04:49 PM
    I'd consider another slider, maybe. But it would have to not compromise screen size, and the typing action would have to be much more Q10-like and much less Torch-like. And it can't be bulky. While the Torch was a great idea, and I did love mine when I had it, it definitely gave up screen size compared to the other touch screen devices at the time; and because of the way they designed the slider, the keyboard was extremely cramped, even for my not overly large hands. There was also a time that I was screaming for a landscape-oriented slider, too; and I'd still give that a very close look if BB were to build one. But I've gotten so comfortable with the Z10's virtual keyboard now, any slider would have to be an extraordinary experience all around for me to want to give up the simplicity and perfect size of the Z10.
    01-10-14 04:52 PM
    Yup, there was a virtual keyboard, AND you could use it in either portrait or landscape orientation. As Sarek suggests, I did use mine exactly that way -- for a quick, short blast, I'd leave the slider closed and use the virtual keyboard; and for longer missives, I'd crack it open and use the physical one.
    acovey, Sarek1701 and RyanGermann like this.
    01-10-14 04:55 PM
    Before my Z10 my 9810 was my favourite phone. The best combination of real-estate with keyboard and a not-so-bad processor.
    If they could figure out how to make my Z30 into a slider I would be one of the very first in line.

Business users I've talked to in lines and on airplanes that have the 9810 had the exact same reasons: Yes there are better keyboards (9900 for example) but they would compromise a bit to get more screen.
    My 9810 was my favorite phone too -- until I made the mistake of checking out the then new 9900. Bought one on the spot, full price, after having the 9810 for less than three months. The keyboard was so much nicer to type on that it was well worth the tiny bit of screen size it gave up.
    01-10-14 05:00 PM
    If they make it look really slick than sure, if not I think it is a mistake. There are people that love keyboards, except there are many more people that love just the touch screen and this move will alienate them and the device will not sell as well as they expect.
    Why would additional phone choices alienate Z customers? I bet they would sell a slider for more than the Z30.
    01-10-14 05:22 PM
    Hope that if they do make a slider it's a high end device. Also while screen has to be big like z10, it'd be a problem if the phone is too big

Then all they gotta do is add a software track pad for bb10
    01-10-14 05:23 PM
    I Agree..
    Q10 Keyboard w/ the screen size somewhere in-between the z10 and z30.
    Detachable battery.
    I don't care really much if it is bulky though.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 05:38 PM
    the cost above that of non sliders would be $10 per device, based on published cost analysis from iSuppli. search crackberry for other slider threads.
    I am EXTREMELY skeptical of that figure.

I liked my 9800, though frankly I found it heavy and thick. And I found the physical keyboard ever - so - slightly too narrow for my fat thumbs. It felt like heaven when I moved to a 9900.

Sliders in general are compromise devices. They DO cost more to design and build. They incur higher support costs due to the added mechanical complexity. The added weight means that when they're dropped they're more likely to incur damage. There's tons of downside.

Here's what I'D like to see as a compromise: the Z30 has that nice replaceable back. Why can't BlackBerry come out with a slide-out keyboard for the Z30 that snaps on the back?

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30
    01-10-14 05:40 PM
128 1234 ...