It will be a game-changer in the Smartphone world!
    thekidshop likes this.
    01-19-13 04:18 AM
    Instant is good.
    Instant is too slow for me!
    01-19-13 04:52 AM
    BlackBerry 10 should come with a warning... that it's extremely awesome!!

I anticipate many hours of people using this phone and just playing around with it, figuring out neat things. It will be a grand ole time!
    01-19-13 10:48 AM
    BlackBerry 10 should come with a warning... that it's extremely awesome!!

I anticipate many hours of people using this phone and just playing around with it, figuring out neat things. It will be a grand ole time!
    I wonder how much time people will just spend messing with that animation on the lock screen or doing peek gestures when they don't need to do so.
    01-19-13 11:24 AM
    Hi OP, we are currently in the smartphone era which was created by bb. From your perception, do you think that bb10 will start a new segment: the mobile computing era? Or is it more in line with current OS but with a better integration of smartphone features?

A good question would be, what exactly is 'mobile computing... ? Hopefully, some one in CB can give a technical definition, something more than common sense.
    01-19-13 11:28 AM
    Hi OP, we are currently in the smartphone era which was created by bb. From your perception, do you think that bb10 will start a new segment: the mobile computing era? Or is it more in line with current OS but with a better integration of smartphone features?

A good question would be, what exactly is 'mobile computing... ? Hopefully, some one in CB can give a technical definition, something more than common sense.
    Just like with the PlayBook you can instantly transfer all it's power to a TV/monitor with a hdmi cable except it's much more powerful then the PlayBook. The browser in in Desktop class.

Will it replace a laptop? Probbably not yet.
    01-19-13 11:45 AM
    I wonder how much time people will just spend messing with that animation on the lock screen or doing peek gestures when they don't need to do so.
    The faster you make your gesture the less animation you see lol, you can just do a fast flick over the bottom bezel to instantly unlock the screen.
    01-19-13 11:48 AM
    Just like with the PlayBook you can instantly transfer all it's power to a TV/monitor with a hdmi cable except it's much more powerful then the PlayBook. The browser in in Desktop class.

Will it replace a laptop? Probbably not yet.
    01-19-13 12:07 PM
    That will be me, I'm sure of it.
    01-19-13 12:12 PM
    Bel spill all your secrets NOW!!!!!!
    01-19-13 12:56 PM
    $50k says he's holding out for the qwerty .
    LOL
    01-19-13 01:34 PM
    Well this is all encouraging to hear. I'm looking forward to handling one myself... I think I may well be convinced and strictly sticking to the Z10.
    01-19-13 10:51 PM
    Come on Z10 come to me!!!!!
    01-19-13 11:21 PM
    I have also heard on BBM from someone that has used the z10 that time shift can detect up to 6 faces
    01-20-13 12:40 AM
    The faster you make your gesture the less animation you see lol, you can just do a fast flick over the bottom bezel to instantly unlock the screen.
    Hence that point about when they don't need to do so.

I think it says something about bb10 as a whole that they have a device that performs this fast but they have taken the time to add these touches of polish to the whole experience so people have little ways to show off their device before showing somebody an actual app.
    00stryder likes this.
    01-20-13 09:03 AM
    Two things that struck me, it's a lot smaller and sleeker then I expected and now, looking back, I realize I don't think I used it once with both hands, always in my right hand using my thumb.
    Has the Z10 out-iPhoned the iPhone 5 (i.e. Apple specifically optimizing the iPhone 5's body design to fit "perfectly" into a person's palm?)

you can just do a fast flick over the bottom bezel to instantly unlock the screen.
    So by sliding your finger (across horizontally?) the bottom bezel. you can bring up the lock screen? Lol is there any need for ANY of the hardware buttons on this thing? (especially since QNX is such a stable OS and wouldn't need many reboots.)
    01-20-13 03:12 PM
    Has the Z10 out-iPhoned the iPhone 5 (i.e. Apple specifically optimizing the iPhone 5's body design to fit "perfectly" into a person's palm?)
    That stuff was never really true about the iphone 5, the bb10 handset that does things like moving the address bar for the browser to the bottom of the screen shows far more intent than they ever did.

So by sliding your finger (across horizontally?) the bottom bezel. you can bring up the lock screen? Lol is there any need for ANY of the hardware buttons on this thing? (especially since QNX is such a stable OS and wouldn't need many reboots.)
    He means a quick vertical swipe opens that screen, whereas a slow swipe lets you play with the unveiling graphical effect instead.
    01-20-13 06:29 PM
    That stuff was never really true about the iphone 5, the bb10 handset that does things like moving the address bar for the browser to the bottom of the screen shows far more intent than they ever did.
    I think Apple's claim was more so from a hardware point of view, in that the size specifications were somehow perfectly optimized to fit the most common-sized palms out there. I agree that the software features that RIM has adopted with BB10 make one-handed use much more feasible.

He means a quick vertical swipe opens that screen, whereas a slow swipe lets you play with the unveiling graphical effect instead.
    Lol oh darn, I thought he was saying there would be a gesture shortcut to lock the phone as well. Oh well, maybe with 10.1.
    01-20-13 06:49 PM
    I think Apple's claim was more so from a hardware point of view, in that the size specifications were somehow perfectly optimized to fit the most common-sized palms out there. I agree that the software features that RIM has adopted with BB10 make one-handed use much more feasible.
    I don't think it was even true in that case either and even without the additional stuff, the z10 is probably a better fit for that one-handed use size than the ip5.

Lol oh darn, I thought he was saying there would be a gesture shortcut to lock the phone as well. Oh well, maybe with 10.1.
    Such a gesture would be both unnecessary and at the same time, probably too close to slide to unlock for comfort.
    01-21-13 10:28 AM
    I don't think it was even true in that case either and even without the additional stuff, the z10 is probably a better fit for that one-handed use size than the ip5.
    Lol of course it wasn't true, but when Marketing to the masses, does it matter if it's true or not? (like how Apple seems to have convinced everyone that they created the ability to shoot panoramic pics?)

Such a gesture would be both unnecessary and at the same time, probably too close to slide to unlock for comfort.
    A slide across the bezel on the Playbook serves as a "go back" function in Android apps and "close folder" function on the homescreen/app drawer. In addition, it was kinda baked into one of the later OS builds and discovered by users (to my knowledge, it wasn't in any of the RIM documentation/guides for the PlayBook). It's essentially a quick shortcut, similar to how your could perform quick (but really redundant) shortcuts with the hardware keys on the legacy QWERTY BlackBerry devices. A lot of current BB users refer to these nuances as "the attention to small details" that they love about their phones. I don't think it's too far-fetched to think that they could try to adopt the same mentality moving forward with BB10.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    01-21-13 05:34 PM
    A slide across the bezel on the Playbook serves as a "go back" function in Android apps and "close folder" function on the homescreen/app drawer. In addition, it was kinda baked into one of the later OS builds and discovered by users (to my knowledge, it wasn't in any of the RIM documentation/guides for the PlayBook). It's essentially a quick shortcut, similar to how your could perform quick (but really redundant) shortcuts with the hardware keys on the legacy QWERTY BlackBerry devices. A lot of current BB users refer to these nuances as "the attention to small details" that they love about their phones. I don't think it's too far-fetched to think that they could try to adopt the same mentality moving forward with BB10.
    I think the emphasis on gestures with bb10 is more of the into or out of the main display area, they have a lot less bezel room than a playbook after all and thus there would be more chance of gestures not working.

The obvious next gesture for them to add would be the opposite direction versions of the peek's gesture, so up and left, perhaps to switch between open apps and if they seemed like they were comfortable enough to make then they could also do similar ones coming down from the top for other functionality too.
    00stryder likes this.
    01-22-13 02:10 AM
    I think the emphasis on gestures with bb10 is more of the into or out of the main display area, they have a lot less bezel room than a playbook after all and thus there would be more chance of gestures not working.

The obvious next gesture for them to add would be the opposite direction versions of the peek's gesture, so up and left, perhaps to switch between open apps and if they seemed like they were comfortable enough to make then they could also do similar ones coming down from the top for other functionality too.

You no longer use the side bezel to get into the hub and back to the app, or to get from the app to the app carousel, you flick on the screen itself.

Come to think of it I haven't tried swiping from the bezel to see what happens except only when in portrait mode apps to swipe up to the home screen.

The peek gesture is not really needed, put your finger on the screen and pull to the right gets you straight into the hub and the reverse back to the app.
    01-22-13 08:32 AM
    The peek gesture is not really needed, put your finger on the screen and pull to the right gets you straight into the hub and the reverse back to the app.
    There is little difference between starting it on the bezel or starting it on the phone/search/camera bar though.
    01-22-13 11:20 AM
    There is little difference between starting it on the bezel or starting it on the phone/search/camera bar though.
    There's a huge difference, hold your phone in your hand and do pretend gestures, what's easier, reaching for the bezels or with your thumb in the middle of the screen?
    01-22-13 11:56 AM
99 ... 234