To be fair, that is 41,000 more native apps than BGR reported. That is huge. Particularly since WP launched with 25,000 and let's not pretend even half those were even decent.
    No, it is exactly in line with what BGR, and other sources have reported. Non-Android != native.
    01-31-13 06:50 PM
    Are you going to lie to yourself and tell us WP8 launched complete? (more like complete with an incomplete email client that crashes) It was lacking MANY apps. Stop spewing this crap, no launch is perfect, ever!.
    What crap? All of the apps mentioned were there on launch day of 9 November for WP8. I got a Lumia 920 that day. Stop complaining that I am pointing out the truth about the lack of apps when it was one of the big points yesterday. You guys must have a very low bar. I expected more. I'm not disappointed - I think it could have been done better. It's not like BlackBerry is trying to launch their first phone.

In any event, it will hopefully get better. Maybe in three months.
    01-31-13 06:51 PM
    Side loading is great IMO. Eventually when developers see that a lot of people on BB are sideloading their apps maybe they'll freshen them up for BB.
    01-31-13 06:51 PM
    It isn't the number of apps. It is the quality. Many of the Map apps are terrible. I can barely find any recognizable names in App World.
    Least of all the ones mentioned at the launch that aren't there yet.
    are you in the UK?
    if not maybe that has something to do with it... can the apps be region locked?

idk... just asking
    01-31-13 06:53 PM
    To be fair, that is 41,000 more native apps than BGR reported. That is huge. Particularly since WP launched with 25,000 and let's not pretend even half those were even decent.
    Yeah... I was going to make a quip about BGR. Only 1,000 native apps and websites! Everything else is Android - so says Geller

There are less Android apps then I expected. I am actually wondering how many Built 4 BlackBerry apps are still stuck waiting for approval.
    Watching @BlackBerryDev mentions, there are a LOT of devs waiting for their app to be approved.
    01-31-13 06:55 PM
    I am in the US.
    I wish the apps were there. I keep checking. I search, I look in the categories.
    No one home.
    01-31-13 06:55 PM
    I am in the US.
    I wish the apps were there. I keep checking. I search, I look in the categories.
    No one home.
    im not saying this is the case, i dont know ...
    but with my iphone i know a few apps were 'released' and i saw the articles on other websites and stuff, but i couldnt find them in the store until the next day or week.

again, not saying this is the case, i have no idea
    01-31-13 07:00 PM
    They will come out in dribs and drabs - I have been checking a few times a day on what is new and trending.
    I am not a big apps guy. I use a handful that I need and like. Mostly for work.
    I am not waiting for Skype - it isn't important to me. A battery drainer.
    01-31-13 07:10 PM
    The "I need a life" app just popped up in the new release section. I think I'm gonna go download that now.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    eddy_berry likes this.
    01-31-13 07:13 PM
    The main thing is the stability, multitasking and security of the underlying OS is superior to the competitors. Everything else will improve.
    As long as the hardware is seen as good or great quality, that is the main thing.
    01-31-13 07:46 PM
    I believe they are complaining because apps they like and use aren't available. Where is OpenTable? Skydrive? Lync? Speed Dialer?

Never satisfied? Try a half baked "ecosystem".
    Rome wasn't built in a day. Expecting every app to be available at launch is not realistic. The catalog of apps that they have launched with is not bad at all. I wouldn't expect a Windows phone owner to agree though.
    QuickDime, Superfly_FR and web99 like this.
    01-31-13 08:02 PM
    Rome wasn't built in a day. Expecting every app to be available at launch is not realistic. The catalog of apps that they have launched with is not bad at all. I wouldn't expect a Windows phone owner to agree though.
    Didn't someone from RIMM mention 90% of the top iOS/android apps would be available for bb10 upon release? You can't expect people to switch to your platform if none of your favorite apps exist.

Sent from my Iphone 5 using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 08:25 PM
    Didn't someone from RIMM mention 90% of the top iOS/android apps would be available for bb10 upon release? You can't expect people to switch to your platform if none of your favorite apps exist.

Well it depends on what you consider a top app. Right now it looks like BB10 has pretty much all the highest downloaded games and is missing maybe 5 'top' apps like netflix and instagram.

Remember, it is 90% of TOP apps. But wr dont know where BB drew the line. Maybe its 100% of business apps, 80% lifestyle and 90% games. Maybe it isnt. Maybe its 90% of the top grossing, or downloaded, or highest rated. We dont know.

Im not making excuses, im just pointing out a fact. I have never once used netflix on my iphone, but i use it everyday on my computer. For me netflix isnt a big deal for a mobile OS... everyone is different and BB's idea of 'top' may be different from yours.
    01-31-13 08:59 PM

It's not "my" platform. I have no skin in this game. I want all these companies to thrive and do well as it will drive innovation and benefit consumers.

And yes, if the apps people use are not there they will not be inclined to switch. With that said, your favourite apps, and my favourite apps are not the same. Most of the apps I am looking for are there, so it's all good from my perspective.

In terms of BB10 having 90% of the top iOS apps, 90% of what? Top 10? Top 100? I don't ever remember RIM promising specific apps, or specific numbers like you have stated. The fact they have launched with the apps they do have now is quite impressive. If BB10 sales are just strong (not stellar) then expect to see missing apps jump on board.
    01-31-13 09:08 PM
    @Playbookster - Stop it now. Just because I have a realistic approach - and read my many posts today about what I like about the Zee/Zed 10 - is not the same as Complete Negativity. Get a clue. Read the reviews. All of those apps were there at launch. With the vaunted 70,000 apps, where are the ones that people are looking for.

Never mind - you don't know. I like the Z10 - but it is incomplete. It is not a game changer. I hope (and don't think) it ends up like the Playbook - a bad footnote.

Do you have a BB10 device or any information on when these apps will be out?
    What app list are you referencing? Even better question, what apps did WP8 launch with that BB10 will not be launching with? Give me a list of whatever you feel is relevant.
    01-31-13 09:14 PM
    It's not "my" platform. I have no skin in this game. I want all these companies to thrive and do well as it will drive innovation and benefit consumers.

And yes, if the apps people use are not there they will not be inclined to switch. With that said, your favourite apps, and my favourite apps are not the same. Most of the apps I am looking for are there, so it's all good from my perspective.

In terms of BB10 having 90% of the top iOS apps, 90% of what? Top 10? Top 100? I don't ever remember RIM promising specific apps, or specific numbers like you have stated. The fact they have launched with the apps they do have now is quite impressive. If BB10 sales are just strong (not stellar) then expect to see missing apps jump on board.
    I hate to break it to you but they flat out said 90% of the top 600 IOS and Android apps, though it seems they may have over exaggerated that just a bit.
    01-31-13 09:24 PM
    I hate to break it to you but they flat out said 90% of the top 600 IOS and Android apps, though it seems they may have over exaggerated that just a bit.
    You're really not breaking anything to me. I could care less. It's just a phone.

Do you have a link for the "90% of the top 600".
    01-31-13 09:34 PM
    I am in the US.
    No one home.
    Ouch, which apps are missing? Can you see Twitter, Facebook, other social networks there? I know there is no Skype just yet, how about ooVoo, FaceFlow?
    02-01-13 06:07 AM
    Twitter / Facebook / LinkedIn come pre-installed and work nicely. I am (ahem) a bit on the older side, so social networking is not critical to me.
    I just had to pop the battery out on the Z10 (uh oh) for the first time. Will check on the apps when it reboots.

OoVoo - No Results Found
    FaceFlow Video Chat is there - I have not installed or tested it
    02-01-13 06:13 AM
    android player is poor on the pb. A good number of apps don't even get get updated unlike their android versions.
    update has nothing to do with the "android player"; it's about lazy "devs"; I must say I believe some just jumped on the occasion to gain a DA or PB.
    Inevitable. This will be cleaned up naturally, IMHO. Numbers ...
    02-01-13 06:19 AM
    People have been complaining about not having iOS and android apps forever, now they have some and they still complain. Some people will never be satisfied.
    There are many people on these forums and elsewhere - myself included - who voiced from day one that the whole android app thing on both the Playbook and BB10 was and is a mistake. In terms of BB10, as with my Playbook, prior to downloading any application, I will see if it is an Android port - if it is, it's not going on my phone. I will make do without. My priority in apps as always been to those developers/companies who went native - they will get my money and they will get my support.

My only concern is that I wish App World clearly indicated whether the apps were native or not.
    02-01-13 11:44 AM
    Download and check out "Battery Watch". Start it up. Check out the "OS Version:" it reports back under Device Information.

Android 2.3.3

Nice QC.
    02-01-13 11:46 AM
    update has nothing to do with the "android player"; it's about lazy "devs"; I must say I believe some just jumped on the occasion to gain a DA or PB.
    Inevitable. This will be cleaned up naturally, IMHO. Numbers ...
    Well in a way that is a good thing. Now that they have a DA or PB they can go ahead and build native apps
    02-01-13 11:48 AM
    When Apple iphone came out they had 500,000 apps on Launch, NOT
    02-01-13 12:07 PM
    Apple invented the world of applications. Mock them all you want. The iTunes app store and iPhone directly led to the predicament RIMBerry is trying to dig themselves out of.
    But ignore history. That's OK. Rome wasn't built in a day. But the Romans didn't overpromise, hype up and underdeliver either.
    mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    02-01-13 12:11 PM
81 1234