Did BB10 ever have a chance?

Consumer Intelligence Research Partners on Thursday came out with its latest numbers on mobile market share in the United States and found that BlackBerry devices accounted for 0% of all smartphone activations in the fourth quarter of 2013, which isn�t too surprising considering that the company spent a good chunk of the quarter with a �For Sale� sign hung around its neck. In its last earnings report, BlackBerry said it only sold 1.9 million total smartphones on the quarter and most of those were BlackBerry 7 devices targeted toward emerging markets, so BlackBerry posting a 0% market share in the U.S. over that period is well within the realm of possibility. BlackBerry launched BlackBerry 10 exactly one year ago in the hopes that the new platform would revive its flagging handset sales. Needless to say, it didn�t.
    BlackBerry U.S. market share now 0% | BGR
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-31-14 11:42 AM
    Lmao it's BGR

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 11:44 AM
    When it comes to BlackBerry bgr has neatly 0.0% credibility
    habs_fan likes this.
    01-31-14 11:50 AM
    When it comes to BlackBerry bgr has neatly 0.0% credibility
    I didn't know that. But BGR is just quoting a report from a research company, other news sites are also publishing the story.

BlackBerry�€™s US market share hits 0 percent | Fox News

CIRP: Apple regains US smartphone lead thanks to new iPhones | Electronista
    milo53 and kbz1960 like this.
    01-31-14 12:02 PM
    No, it's Consumer Intelligence Research Partners

Lmao it's BGR

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-31-14 12:06 PM
    Fox news: BlackBerry�€™s US market share hits 0 percent | Fox News

Also I find it hilarious how BGR comment section has dedicated trolls hating on BB.
    01-31-14 12:21 PM
    Zero percent has a juicy ring to it so you can bet that plenty of other outlets are going to pick it up. One wonders whether it would do any good for Blackberry PR to come up with some kind of response. At least there will be some media that will contact them for comment. I wonder what they will say.
    01-31-14 12:28 PM
    "Technically we can categorically deny this report as our US market share is 0.092%, so in your face BGR! Remember, we only wanted 1% of the prosumer market anyway.."

Zero percent has a juicy ring to it so you can bet that plenty of other outlets are going to pick it up. One wonders whether it would do any good for Blackberry PR to come up with some kind of response. At least there will be some media that will contact them for comment. I wonder what they will say.
    JeepBB, garnok, bekkay and 1 others like this.
    01-31-14 12:30 PM
    I didn't know that. But BGR is just quoting a report from a research company, other news sites are also publishing the story.

BlackBerry�€™s US market share hits 0 percent | Fox News

CIRP: Apple regains US smartphone lead thanks to new iPhones | Electronista
    OP. Thanks for the post which I have every confidence is accurately reported.

You're new here, but there's a lot here on CB that reject anything from BGR as anti-BB propaganda even when, as here, it's a re-post of something that has been picked up by several news sites. So don't take the criticism personally.

Several reports from other sources have told the same story recently. BB's market share is lost in the noise in several worldwide markets.
    techvisor and kbz1960 like this.
    01-31-14 01:43 PM
    Well it's not unexpected - the sale numbers for blackberry mobiles have been terrible. This kind of contraction (to zero, with a margin of error, remember) is not an unexpected result. By any metric blackberry has been scraping by.

I am surprised crackberry has not had a post on this, when other outlets have.

That said, there has been a change of guard and i firmly believe things can only get better.

Bb10 is improving with each update and i think it will really help actually having a cheap model for sale (Jakarta). Whatever we as fans may think, the current pricing is just insane. The devices are simply not perceived as being worth their asking price.

I think this year will be a difficult one but with cultivation there can be success.

The only way is up from here!!!

Sent from Tapatalk
    milo53 likes this.
    01-31-14 02:04 PM
    Since I know people that bought them and I bought one myself that quarter this isn't correct.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 04:14 PM
    I hate BGR and it's known they don't like BBRY. But when you look at the statistic and what its pertaining to, it makes some sense.

0.0% of new line activations in 4th quarter of 2013. It could just be that with the dozens of millions of Android and iOS phones being sold in Q4, BB10 only got 0.0x% of activations (one more decimal point over).

And that, I could believe.
    01-31-14 04:15 PM
    Since I know people that bought them and I bought one myself that quarter this isn't correct.

Posted via CB10
    Percentage marketshare isn't same as raw sales number - they could sell 100,000 (random number) and still have 0% share.
    01-31-14 05:30 PM
    That's a low percentage of highly intelligent Americans.

Sent from the future on my ? Z10
    01-31-14 06:02 PM
    It's rather rude and unfair to blame Americans for the low sale numbers. They've not been selling well anywhere in the world. This is due to the management at blackberry and this is something they will address.

Sent from Tapatalk
    bekkay likes this.
    01-31-14 06:23 PM
    Bgr has zero percent of the tech media market share

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    01-31-14 08:02 PM
    worth mentioning study only has a sample size of 500 people.
    01-31-14 11:58 PM
    Well it's not unexpected - the sale numbers for blackberry mobiles have been terrible. This kind of contraction (to zero, with a margin of error, remember) is not an unexpected result. By any metric blackberry has been scraping by.

I am surprised crackberry has not had a post on this, when other outlets have.

That said, there has been a change of guard and i firmly believe things can only get better.

Bb10 is improving with each update and i think it will really help actually having a cheap model for sale (Jakarta). Whatever we as fans may think, the current pricing is just insane. The devices are simply not perceived as being worth their asking price.

I think this year will be a difficult one but with cultivation there can be success.

The only way is up from here!!!

Sent from Tapatalk
    This is true! It is fantastic news for Chen, think about it...............
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-02-14 02:29 AM
    Not only small sample size but one big factor that proves bgr is against anything BlackBerry. Their misleading title. How in the world quarterly activations equal marker share? So because supposedly nobody activated a BlackBerry device(which is BS btw) in the 4th quarter magically everyone ditched their BlackBerry devices? This is the worst most deliberate misleading article I have yet to read from bgr. They will do just about anything to get clicks. I would say it's borderline libelous IMHO. I wrote bgr off a long time ago. The only time I go there now is by mistake from a link on reddit.

Posted via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    02-02-14 02:47 AM
    Blackberry can and will survive without the US market.
    Unfortunately the mindset today is you won't be successful I'd you don't.

Z10 on Telus
    LoganSix likes this.
    02-02-14 03:33 AM
    Besides the hate an trolls, I don't think this 0% number is unrealistic. When it comes to BB marketshares, the numbers always include legacy devices in addition to the new BB10 phones. The report now seems to state BB10 devices alone. Considering BlackBerry only managed to sell/ship something around 4,4 million of these devices world wide last year (at least when I remember the released numbers correctly) with US sales reported being very disappointing, a number below 1% seems to be kind of realistic.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-02-14 07:05 AM
    Not only small sample size but one big factor that proves bgr is against anything BlackBerry. Their misleading title. How in the world quarterly activations equal marker share? So because supposedly nobody activated a BlackBerry device(which is BS btw) in the 4th quarter magically everyone ditched their BlackBerry devices? This is the worst most deliberate misleading article I have yet to read from bgr. They will do just about anything to get clicks. I would say it's borderline libelous IMHO. I wrote bgr off a long time ago. The only time I go there now is by mistake from a link on reddit.

Posted via CB10
    1. It's not BGR saying this, it's a survey that has been quoted elsewhere too.
    2. A cast-iron legal defence against libel/slander is to demonstrate that the statement is true.
    3. Even small sample sizes can be statistically significant.
    4. Zero doesn't mean nobody bought a BB10 phone, just that nobody in their sample did.

I'd ask anyone doubting this survey to question the evidence of their own eyes. Even a casual glance at other people's phones as you pass in the street will quickly confirm that the BB10 share is zero or thereabouts. Consider it a game... The more phones you count, the closer you'll get to the pro's declared survey figures. They're pros because they know how to sample properly and conduct surveys.

Not liking the result, doesn't invalidate a properly conducted survey. See points 2 & 3 above.
    bekkay and kbz1960 like this.
    02-02-14 10:59 AM
    3. Even small sample sizes can be statistically significant.
    4. Zero doesn't mean nobody bought a BB10 phone, just that nobody in their sample did.

I'd ask anyone doubting this survey to question the evidence of their own eyes. Even a casual glance at other people's phones as you pass in the street will quickly confirm that the BB10 share is zero or thereabouts. Consider it a game... The more phones you count, the closer you'll get to the pro's declared survey figures. They're pros because they know how to sample properly and conduct surveys.

Not liking the result, doesn't invalidate a properly conducted survey. See points 2 & 3 above.
    You misunderstood what I'm saying here. Yes. BGR isn't the one who did the study. But they are the only ones who posted a story about it. Now others are kinda picking it up. It's not gaining traction.

Small sample size does not give a good estimate at all. Especially if you call someplace that you know isn't very BlackBerry popular. Also, the age group. I could go to a school and take a sample. But I bet a bunch of middle schoolers would just have iPhones. Not very accurate is it?

As for my last statement. You are also being tricked here. Activations do NOT equal market share. If there are 10 million phones. 6 million are android and 3 million are apple and 1 million are BlackBerry. Then BlackBerry has 10 percent market share. Now. Say 5 million more android and apple phones get activated in the last quarter. You now have 15 million phones. 0 BlackBerry devices were activated but 1 million are still BlackBerrys. BlackBerry market share would drop 6.67 percent. Or 1/15th of the pie. This is what bgr is doing. Comparing activations for 1 quarter to marker share. Which in my opinion is libelous. Especially if the stock market reacts to it.

Posted via CB10
    mithrazor likes this.
    02-02-14 11:39 AM
    Thank you!

This article clearly stated activations in Q4 2013.

Activations for one quarter != marketshare

Especially during the holiday season where BlackBerry didn't even have new phones out except for the Z30 on Verizon.

BlackBerry was nonexistent for the holiday period in the US.

I'm not saying marketshare is a lot higher. But this article is twisted.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 01:14 PM
    You misunderstood what I'm saying here. Yes. BGR isn't the one who did the study. But they are the only ones who posted a story about it. Now others are kinda picking it up. It's not gaining traction.

Small sample size does not give a good estimate at all. Especially if you call someplace that you know isn't very BlackBerry popular. Also, the age group. I could go to a school and take a sample. But I bet a bunch of middle schoolers would just have iPhones. Not very accurate is it?
    I think you missed my point about small sample sizes being statistically significant when that survey is conducted by professionals who understand sampling.

TL;DR: They're pros, not morons.

As for my last statement. You are also being tricked here. Activations do NOT equal market share. If there are 10 million phones. 6 million are android and 3 million are apple and 1 million are BlackBerry. Then BlackBerry has 10 percent market share. Now. Say 5 million more android and apple phones get activated in the last quarter. You now have 15 million phones. 0 BlackBerry devices were activated but 1 million are still BlackBerrys. BlackBerry market share would drop 6.67 percent. Or 1/15th of the pie. This is what bgr is doing. Comparing activations for 1 quarter to marker share. Which in my opinion is libelous. Especially if the stock market reacts to it.
    Most market share surveys, e.g. Kantar, measure some metric associated with sales in a specific time period. They are trying to establish what's hot... and what's not. They aren't generally interested in the cumulative total of devices out there... It's irrelevant (to them) knowing that there are 14 quintillion iPhones, what they want to know is who is winning *today's* sales battle, and pick out future trends.

This survey, along with the others, demonstrates that BB10 isn't winning that sales battle, and the fact that there are many millions of (overwhelmingly legacy) BB phones out there; is either irrelevant.... or arguably a large part of BB's problem.

BB10 isn't selling, legacy sales are still 3:1 better than BB10 sales. When BB can't even persuade the BB legacy phone owners to upgrade to a BB10 handset, and new buyers pick the legacy handset over the BB10 handset, well... the outlook for BB10 is "poor".

Hard to see what can jolt the currently flat-lining BB10 sales into some semblance of life frankly.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 02-02-14 at 03:12 PM.
    02-02-14 02:10 PM
59 123