All good points. I'd personally like to see RIM adopt the Apple philosophy of keeping the previous generation around around once the new generation has been released and then selling it as the mid/low end phone.

Apple now has:

iPhone 5: High end
    iPhone 4s: Mid range
    iPhone 4: Low end
    iPhone 3: Entry level <-(is this model still being sold?)

For now RIM will need to keep the Bold 9900 and Curve around as the mid and entry level phones. Once the second generation BB10 phones come out, the current crop can be relegated to mid and entry level status and the OS7 devices can then be retired.
    You can still buy the 3GS
    09-23-12 07:34 PM
    You can still buy the 3GS
    Thanks!

Didn't see it available for sale in the Apple.ca on-line store but could have sworn it was still being sold.
    09-23-12 07:38 PM
    RIM could always make an OMAP 4 based phone for lower end BB10 phones. The 4430 in the playbook should be cheaper now especially in volume. The only issue with it would be it would be more power hungry than OMAP 5430 or S4. Screen resolution should be based on the standards set by rim and they stated that they don't want different ones to complicate development. Will be interesting to see what RIM does for the curve line!
    09-23-12 07:39 PM
    I would personally keep the existing names as their is brand awareness already established. Bold, Torch, and Curve are well known to all BB users. Apple doesn't rename the iPhone to something else every other generation. It is, and most likely will always be, the "iPhone".
    I think they need to dump the names. It's a new OS, a new bb so new names are needed to differentiate.
    09-23-12 07:43 PM
    For that reason alone, I would be amazed if we get a direct analogue to the curve in the first twelve months.
    I completely agree with this.

RIM has already publically committed to two models (the all-touch, and traditional keyboard) and rumours make it sound likely they will quickly follow up with a third (slider). They are already splitting marketing three ways and the very different models mean economy of scale for components is going to be lower as well.

If they introduce yet another differentiated form so quickly I fear they won't have enough money and development resources to really push any one phone.

Second, in order to make any Curve meaningfully cheaper, they'd have to cut back on capabilities and that means fragmentation for developers. That's nuts!
    09-23-12 08:42 PM
    Ftr.. L-Series, N-Series, M-Series, R-Series and A-Series.. since everyone seems to be confuzzeled about them.
    09-24-12 05:22 AM
    Ftr.. L-Series, N-Series, M-Series, R-Series and A-Series.. since everyone seems to be confuzzeled about them.

What's the A-Series?
    09-24-12 05:48 AM
    What's the A-Series?
    Rumoured quad-core successor to London.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...cessor-736190/
    09-25-12 12:01 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD