A few months ago, John Anastasiadis created a concept on what he imagined a qwerty BlackBerry 10 handset with the Bold's roots would look like. Design cues from the P'9981 were incorporated as well. I personally liked it a lot but wondered how it would look in black. Since I prefer the black BlackBerrys over white, I decided to do a quick Photoshop of it.

There's a strong chance it will be different, but it's a step in the right direction with confirmation that the display will be a perfect square at 720x720px. My only gripes with it are that the corners are a little too sharp and it might not be as well balanced as the 99xx. The glowing trackpad will be missed. The rear logo glowing could be interesting.

Source: How's this for a BlackBerry 10 phone with a physical keyboard?!! | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 08-18-12 at 01:14 AM.
    Bobcat665 and Donnee like this.
    08-18-12 01:11 AM
    where is the track pad? why would RIM get rid of it? Now I'm going to have some asprin and a full on panic attack.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    08-18-12 01:16 AM
    i think the most important feature the BB10 qwerty version needs is a bigger screen than the 9900
    08-18-12 01:26 AM
    where is the track pad? why would RIM get rid of it? Now I'm going to have some asprin and a full on panic attack.

No trackpad. Don't need it, the OS as a whole is different with QNX. More screen real estate with less buttons. Personally, I disagree, but I'm just stating things from RIM's perspective.
    08-18-12 01:55 AM
    of all the many concepts out there this was always one of my favorites
    08-18-12 03:07 AM
    I'm throwing money at the screen but nothings happening
    08-18-12 03:34 AM
    It's already been confirmed by Joshua Topolsky that the keyboard is straight not curved like on the Bold 9900. I have a feeling that the device will be more boxier then curvy like in this pic. Also he did mention there is no trackpad or other buttons except the keyboard of course. Still awesome render though. Would be nice to see a new render with a square screen and straight keyboard.
    Last edited by mgerbrandt; 08-18-12 at 08:48 AM.
    08-18-12 07:49 AM

im almost positive RIM has stated they are going to a magnify glass type feature to replace the trackpad. Similar to IOS feature. probably not what some people want but at least it is something.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    08-18-12 08:30 AM
    i think the most important feature the BB10 qwerty version needs is a bigger screen than the 9900
    I agree 100%. Even if they kept the same size overall they could squeeze out more screen by removing the wasted space at the top and bottom of the phone. That alone would net 1 inch bigger screen minimum.
    08-18-12 08:51 AM
    I agree 100%. Even if they kept the same size overall they could squeeze out more screen by removing the wasted space at the top and bottom of the phone. That alone would net 1 inch bigger screen minimum.
    Topolsky said the screen is bigger then the 9900 but not by much. So maybe 3.0"? 3.2"??
    08-18-12 08:56 AM
    It's already been confirmed by Joshua Topolsky that the keyboard is straight not curved like on the Bold 9900. I have a feeling that the device will be more boxier then curvy like in this pic. Also he did mention there is no trackpad or other buttons except the keyboard of course. Still awesome render though. Would be nice to see a new render with a square screen and straight keyboard.

Can you show me a source where he said the keyboard wasn't curved anymore?

"The QWERTY device also has a touchscreen, but is styled in the classic vein of the Bold line. However, the device streamlines many of the contours of the Bold and removes the well known silver metal rim which surrounds the most recent model. It's a handsome phone."

He said the device streamlines many of the contours, but that could just mean its less faceted overall, and has a smoother surface. The example he gave of the metal rim removal is an example. I didn't take it that they were removing the curve of the keyboard but I'm not saying that's wrong.

Since the trackpad/keystrip will probably be removed, I can see them straightening the keyboard now to make it parallel with the display. Or they could keep it curved and put the BlackBerry logo in it like on the concept I posted.

Also, this render does have a square screen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-18-12 09:22 AM
    Topolsky said it in the last Vergecast. Maybe i heard it wrong but I am pretty sure he said straight keyboard.He confirmed a couple things that i haven't seen anyone talk about yet. For some reason it doesn't look square, sorry :P
    08-18-12 09:38 AM
    Can you show me a source where he said the keyboard wasn't curved anymore?

"The QWERTY device also has a touchscreen, but is styled in the classic vein of the Bold line. However, the device streamlines many of the contours of the Bold and removes the well known silver metal rim which surrounds the most recent model. It's a handsome phone."

He said the device streamlines many of the contours, but that could just mean its less faceted overall, and has a smoother surface. The example he gave of the metal rim removal is an example. I didn't take it that they were removing the curve of the keyboard but I'm not saying that's wrong.

Since the trackpad/keystrip will probably be removed, I can see them straightening the keyboard now to make it parallel with the display. Or they could keep it curved and put the BlackBerry logo in it like on the concept I posted.

Also, this render does have a square screen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I listened to the Vergecast again. He mentioned it 43 minutes into the Vergecast. He doesn't say the keyboard is straight but says the those chrome lines in between keyboard are straight. So i guess i am only assuming that if those lines are straight the keyboard is straight to.
    08-18-12 09:55 AM
    For some reason it doesn't look square, sorry :P
    Yeah. It doesn't really, but when I overlay a perfect square over it, it fits nearly perfectly.

I listened to the Vergecast again. He mentioned it 43 minutes into the Vergecast. He doesn't say the keyboard is straight but says the those chrome lines in between keyboard are straight. So i guess i am only assuming that if those lines are straight the keyboard is straight to.
    I didn't hear this before, thanks for pointing it out. You're right! So maybe we CAN expect a straight, non-curved keyboard.
    08-18-12 11:52 AM
    One of the reports said they might be releasing a high end device later in the year. Typically the metal band has been used on the bold lineup. I wonder if they are saving the metal band for the "high end" phone.
    08-18-12 02:29 PM
    Grrr I hope the keyboard is not strait. The curve has less to do with the trackpad & more to do with fingure / thumb placement. As your thumb moves in it naturally swings down, thus the curve of the keyboard. That curve (amung other things, like keyshapes) is what makes the keyboard so great.

Android keyboards are all strait / square & they suck
    08-18-12 03:24 PM
    Since there are these rumours that RIM is chucking the curved keyboard here, it makes me wonder if the newly patented trapezoidal keyboard design will come into play...

RIM Patents Trapezoidal Keyboard for Users with Big Thumbs
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 08-19-12 at 04:09 AM.
    08-19-12 04:00 AM
    I don't need a trackpad, if the touchscreen works and is efficient. But on my 9930, I use the trackpad more often compared to the touchscreen. As for the physical keyboard, I would use a virtual keyboard if it were accurate and kept up the pace of my thumb-typing.

I do like the photo but hope the actual berry won't disappoint if it ends up lacking a trackpad.
    08-19-12 04:20 AM

did this months ago. probably not a good representation, but its a square screen with straight keyboard.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    08-19-12 04:20 AM
    Click to view quoted image

did this months ago. probably not a good representation, but its a square screen with straight keyboard.
    Cool! Another step in the right direction I think. I just don't think either of these phones are quite as nice as the Bold 99xx :/

I hope RIM's designers are doing something pretty sweet. Josh T did say it was a handsome phone.
    08-19-12 11:48 AM
    Cool! Another step in the right direction I think. I just don't think either of these phones are quite as nice as the Bold 99xx :/

I hope RIM's designers are doing something pretty sweet. Josh T did say it was a handsome phone.
    Josh T is a slab phone user though....
    08-19-12 12:01 PM
    Josh T is a slab phone user though....
    True. But he also liked the 9900 too before it came out and many of us were also impressed when seeing it.

"RIM has made and can make wonderful devices and software. There is a Bold 9900 on the desk next to me, and it's an impressive piece of gadgetry. Is it as good as the iPhone 4S or the Galaxy Nexus? Not by a longshot... but there is DNA in that phone that is worth salvaging. There is DNA in RIM that is worth salvaging."

For someone that's critical towards RIM and prefers other devices over it, it says a lot that he likes it.
    08-19-12 12:16 PM
    Very true Cam.

Hopefully the device is as beautiful as the 9900,
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    08-19-12 12:20 PM
    Agree with u fellas. I sometimes catch myself just starring at how beautiful the 9900 is. Easily the finest piece of hardware RIM has produced in my opinion. Very excited to see what RIM can do with these new devices. I've felt for a long time that it was time for RIM try a new look and I hope they can take a design like Alex Hong did up above and just make it sleek and sexy
    08-19-12 01:55 PM
    The squared style really isnt all that bad though, something new. I'm sure it would look much better with chromed accents and whatnot...Thumbs up to RIM making much needed progress.
    08-19-12 03:26 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD